Denton, TX

I'm not saying GE scores should be just the result of people clapping in the stands, but if ANY part of the sheets refer to audience reaction/engagement, shouldn't the lack of reaction be reflected in the score for that sub-caption?.

If a sub-caption has a possible total of 100 and the audience engagement part of that sub-caption counts for say 10. Shouldn't corps X recieve a 1 or 2 for audience engagement if the crowd sits on their hands?

What's the point of including audience engagement on the sheets if the judges are just going to ignore how the crowd reacts?

The only place it would count is in effect, and there are two subcaptions in each sheet, each with 10 poinits. Audience involvement would, I think, be one of the criteria in the Performance subcaption...one of the items a judge should look for in evaluating the effect of the performance. But...it is just one of many things a judge would consider, so the net impact of any one element would be very small. BD was tired for 3rd in GE Music Performance, behind the Cadets (2nd) and Crown (1st), so maybe it was indeed at least a bit of a factor, though countered by other performance criteria that BD may have satisfied quite well.

Bottom line...you can't look at one single element of one subcaption of one sheet and expect that their score is going to drop 5 points or something because they do not fulfill what you think that element means.

• Like 1

Marty has been judging percussion in DCI for quite a while, even though he is a young guy (well, in relation to me, anyway! :tongue:/>/> ). I have known him since he was in college, where I judged the band he was working with as percussion instructor up in Morris County , NJ. He is now a fine band director here in Central Jersey at a HS about 15 minutes from me.

I'm sure he's very qualified and so forth, but in my experience, his tapes are just worthless. 10 minutes of "Good job!" "Yeah." "Good."

• Like 1

SCV is improving rapidly, but still has far more dirt to clean than the 3 above them.

Just a general follow-up question. Do the top corps really have enough "dirt" left to gain 10-11 more points?

No, it's not DCI's fault. People didn't understand that were actually 2 ways to enter and exit the stadium grounds. Dan Potter even tried to help everyone with an announcement at the end of the night.

I can't say I want people to figure out the other entrance to the stadium, though. It makes my commute much easier :thumbup:/>/>

It actually is DCI's fault because they took over this show from the Cavaliers. I spoke with Dan Acheson about it and he said it was too late (at that time) to do anything about the traffic backup off the highway but that the local sheriff would have traffic control for the end of the show. It was just a matter of asking local law enforcement to help with traffic control and that would have helped with a lot of the back up.

As for the parking issue, I have no idea what happened with that. People paid their $5 and then there were no parking spots in the lot they were guided to. So, they had to back track to another lot near the waterpark, causing the traffic to back up even more. Again, that is a DCI planning issue, not the host's. People were incensed about it, especially the older folks that had to walk all that way.

Just a general follow-up question. Do the top corps really have enough "dirt" left to gain 10-11 more points?

There's a couple of ways to answer this

1) Yes there is still a fair amount of dirt to be cleaned, including the top corps. Whether it's individual dirt that the judges on the field notice but might be hard for the fan in the stands to detect, improved consistency in technique, etc there are always areas to clean

2) There will continue to be changes made in the shows. Hopefully the changes will allow the corps to better communicate with the audience/judges. This might include working on better dynamics or musicality, more emotiveness, drill changes to make the transitions between sets flow better, etc. Expect some big/dramatic endings to be added before finals also. All of this will add into higher GE scores.

3) Numbers management will have a big effect. When the corps at the bottom/middle of the pack make big gains in scoring that has a natural effect of buoying up the scores of the top corps. Think of it this way: Let's say Corps X is in the middle of the pack and has been scoring 15.5 in brass through the early season. They've improved a lot and come Finals week they deserve a score of 17.0. Good for them, but also good for the other corps who have better brass lines. In order to keep the corps who have better brass above them the judge needs to continue to space their scores above Corps X, meaning that other corps will see their going up also. Multiply this by all captions and the increases add up.

Any thoughts on Spirit?

Sorry about that - I forgot to mention them - but not because of any negative reaction.

I loved Spirit! It's good to have them "back." I listen to this show and know who it is.

My only problem with this show is the Sweet Georgia Brown is not enough...slow it down and let us enjoy! Otherwise - its a really entertaining show that is tapping toes and leaving the crowd wanting more...

is it DCI with the parking/ticket issues or the host?

It's a BIG show a long way away from the city center with nasty traffic in approach - on a weeknight. If you don't arrive early - there's only one way in. Otherwise, plenty of (free) parking and space to move around the stadium. It's a big stadium and frankly because its so much better than the other Dallas venue, it's become too successful. Bigger stadium may be needed soon...

Marty has been judging percussion in DCI for quite a while, even though he is a young guy (well, in relation to me, anyway! :tongue:). I have known him since he was in college, where I judged the band he was working with as percussion instructor up in Morris County , NJ. He is now a fine band director here in Central Jersey at a HS about 15 minutes from me.

Marty was my nephew's band director at that school!!! :thumbup:

Also find it interesting Cadets program is deemed derivative but SCV can do their 1989 program and its considered fresh?

SCV's take on it seems pretty fresh to me. I don't tend to think of Cadets 1989 when I watch it. Surely there is more to being derivative than basing a show on a same set of source material as another corps based their show on.

I can't speak for Cadets show this year as I am not that familiar enough with the other shows but if it is also a fresh approach then yes, I see your point. :smile:

Also find it interesting Cadets program is deemed derivative but SCV can do their 1989 program and its considered fresh?

I wasn't told there was gonna be calculus in DCP.

I wouldn't say any show is derivative. By now, it's hard to point to music that hasn't been done by someone, at sometime, in the past.