section sizes

demobaritoneboy

I thought they were called Devilphones when Drum Corps World first talked about them?

Nope. Maybe that's what DCW referred to them as, but the official name is meehaphone. I had the privilege to meet the first meehaphone section leader recently, a guy by the last name of Bell. He said that, for a time, the horns were called Bellophones. This is the only other name I've heard them called except, of course bastardized versions of the name, such as mufflehorn, mufflohorn, etc..

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they were so bad, why'd they keep using them? Why not switch to flugels or altos? (I'm guessing a money issue ... ?)

Keeping the horn within a certain range and keeping very good players on the horns helped to keep the meehaphone around for a few years. They beefed the middle voice quite substantially because the volume they could produce. Take a listen to any of the recordings from '87 thru '91 when they did march these horns. They were the loudest horns on the field and helped to make tremendous impacts at where they were needed. Later on, in the era of the 3-valve there was less reason for volume and more need for cleanliness and uniformity of sound thoughout the horn line. This is readily evident when listening to any of the top 6 corps from 93 thru present. Technicality has won over old drum corps norms--volume, tenacity, and voraciousness. :(

You're right. But you can definately hear changes in eras. Each era has its good and bad qualities.

• 2 weeks later...

When I aged out of Phantom Regiment in 1993 we marched 74 horns. I think this is the amount of horns we had in the line. Nick Pilato, correct me if I am wrong.

24 sopranos

12 mellos

10 baris

14 euphoniums (I remember we marched more Euphoniums than Baritones)

14 contras

74 horns total.

The horns were all Dynastys with the exception of my personal horn which was a Kanstul soprano(which I had since 1991). We had two and three valved (large and small) contras in the line that year as well.

The corps had purchased a set of three-valved instruments from Dynasty in 1992 to replace the two-valved horns we had since the early 80's, they were: 12 Baris, 12 Euphoniums, 12 Mellos, 24 Sopranos and 2 Contras. (from what I can remember). I also remember Regiment asking alumni to help the corps buy a horn and the corps would have the name of the donor engraved on the bell of the horn. It never happened while I was in the corps, but probably later on.

It was in 1992 that we still marched French Horns that year. I believe the hornline make up was 24 sops, 5 mellos, 10 french horns, 12 baritones, 8 euphoniums, 12 contras.

I think in 1997, the corps purchased its first set of Kanstul sorpanos (24 I think) and those went through a series of adjustments (braces moved, new one put on, etc.) over the years until they went B-flat this past season. I know in 2002, the hornline was still playing horns that I marched in 1992. Same mellos, baris, euphoniums and contras. Those horns took a beating, but gave Regiment its sound.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Edited by trptjock

Rich,they were nasty even in the lower register to.

Remember the alto feture in Tommy where we were the moving pinball inside the box ?,our last note of the first lick was an A and i cringe whenever i hear it.They were just awful horns to play in tune.

After finals we should of had a ceremonial crushing of meehaphones.

Hey bro..............now that you mention it some of the donated horns collecting dust at our "corps hall" we have three Meehaphones. The day we used them in the line they got nothing but laughs............When you come to the states, we can have the ceremonial crushing. NO ONE would stop us from doing so LOL

I marched in a div III hornline this year with

3 sops

4 mellos

4 baris

2 euphs

3 contras

If I were to field a div I G hornline i would field

20 sops

10 mellos

8 french horns

20 euphoniumms

14 contras

If I had to field a div I Bb hornline it would be

12 cornets

8 flugels

10 Eb mellos

8 Eb horns

20 euphs

14 tubas

what do y'all think about that?

For the last couple of years(including this year), Pacific Crest has been marching 56 horns. 18 sops 10 mellos 18 baris/euphs 10 contras

We may have been a little bit smaller, but we played pretty loud this year. I mean we were LOUD!!!But with a real good balance. of course you look at phantom they march 14 contras and 24 sops. That's mad crazy section sizes.

I marched in a div 3 corps for 3 years now.

2001:

7 Sops

2 mellos

4 baris

2 contras

Total: 15

2002:

5 Sops

1 Mello

1 Bari

1 Contra

Total: 8

2003:

10 Sops

1 mello

2 bari

2 contra

Total 15

I was to field a div 1 corps usign G horns:

24 sops

14 mellos

20 baris

14 contra

Total: 72

Bb Horns:

20 Sops

12 mello

12 BaRI

8 Euph

12 contra

Total: 64

WTF is a "Meehaphone?" Is that a slang term for a flugel?

Speaking of weird horns. I remember the Lancers carried some strange alto voice horn in the late 70's. I think that it was called a "trombonium" or something like that. Can anyone help me out here?

Mark