it has ramifications DCI-wide...

there are posts EVERY YEAR on DCP about corps looking for housing b/c they are having trouble finding something for various shows. If there is no more housing, there is no more tour!

There is no need to throw a fit b/c someone lower down the rankings got the stadium and you didn't.

Okay fine, I get it. All you had to say was it had ramifications DCI wide. I guess that makes sense to make another post on it. I was just saying because there had already been discussion in another thread about this.

• Like 1

The irony in all this is The Cadets would likely have folded and not be with us today if it was not for an 11th hour influx of marchers from the Univ. of Mississippi Marching Band in the early 1980's. For those not familiar with the history surounding this, The Cadets marching numbers were WAY down, and it looked like they would have to fold the Corps. A young George Hopkins made a last ditch appeal to save the Corps by venturing into the deepest part of the South, Mississippi, to try and persuade members from this University Marching Band to come north to Garfield, N.J. and march his Corps. Fortunately for G.H., many in the Univ. of Mississippi Marching Band decided to take George Hopkins and his Cadets Corps up on his pleas for assistance. This Cadets " southern brigade " from Mississippi that went to his Corps for all intents and purposes saved the Cadets from having to fold their Cadets Drum Corps.

Now I read what George Hopkins is saying about Mississippi this week, and can not help recalling a much much different, and younger G.H. regarding what his views were regading a state whose Flagship University Marching Band saved his Drum Corps from likely DCI extinction. This is terrible PR for the DCI activity with his misguided posts that has rankled so many in that region, and leading to press articles. DCI does not need this type of bad press.

I march in Garfield at that time. I thought the kids that joined the corps at that time were from Louisiana. I thought they came up with Manny ( the drum major at that time) and those guys.

• Like 2

Edited by boxingfred

Hey George...your Dinkles might taste better with some good ol' SOUTHERN BBQ sauce on them.

Guess he forgot that even a few folks in the South have access to social media.

Something tells me the reception for Cadets when they get introduced at the show may not be what they're accustomed to.

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 2

More poor judgment from the man that claims he can save the activity…

After all these years he really should know better yet…

I wonder if he would accept such antics from one of his underlings?

It’s a shame how he keeps hurting what he loves and more of a shame that he’s incapable of leaning from his past mistake

Ego and pride, many a mans’ downfall

• Like 4

it has ramifications DCI-wide...

there are posts EVERY YEAR on DCP about corps looking for housing b/c they are having trouble finding something for various shows. If there is no more housing, there is no more tour!

There is no need to throw a fit b/c someone lower down the rankings got the stadium and you didn't.

As I posted in the other thread (which was ignored...)

Weren't the Cadets told that they would have access to certain stadiums and facilities?....an incentive that was later pulled because of an error on the part of the district? If so, then it is indeed their fault. Was it handled by Hopkins in an extremely clumsy and insensitive way? absolutely, but lets not go making up additional transgressions to nail above the cross. For instence (just from this post alone)...what does 'someone lower down the rankings' have to do with it???

DCP moderators showing a bias against the Cadets. Typically, new threads discussing topics already being discussed in other threads are automatically closed. This topic has already reached the level of absurdity in another thread. This should have been closed already! Not the first time Cadets have received this treatment on DCP. Double standards are everywhere these days!

• Like 2