Wouldn't be Saturday if GH lacked tact and DCPers remembered hey they hate that guy. The bonus this time is that the good public in Mississippi find a Facebook post by a band director to be unforgivable.

But seriously -- I do hope this doesn't cause any additional ill will towards corps in general, when it comes to housing. Plenty of principals and athletic directors are already totally unaccommodating as it is.

Edit - unnecessarily stoke-y.

Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 1

Oh, I don't take offense, I'm more concerned about those show hosts and band kids not being supported as part of the DCI tour system, and the impression those band kids and parents have of the activity that I wear on my sleeve. We're supposed to be attracting fans and participants, not insulting whole geographic regions of them.

I think it was Cowtown who said it well: This, from the guy who won't be a part of any organization in which he's not the leader.

I'm not offended. I'm scared for the future of the activity.

Lol, now this is the end of the activity? This is just another misstep by GH. People will forget (well, maybe not the people who already have general disdain for him no matter what he does), and life will go on. I'm sure a vent on facebook is not going to be the end of drum corps.

Edited by 2000Cadet

I'm glad you brought up Paula Dean - just as silly "outrage" in that case / poor women is ruined and others (think libs) get a pass on saying things much worse based on who they are... Same goes for Hopkins - lots of folks in this thread and the other claiming "offense" who never have a nice thing to say about Cadets and/or Hopkins. Let's face it - there's a lot more at play than a few poorly chosen words on a fb post.

Other than trying to create an emotional and political distraction of the real issue I fail to understand your point.

Hopkins is accountable for his words and his words do define him and reflect upon his organization. It is his words and actions, again defined by his words, that belie he beliefs. Beliefs that are repugnant to some and make his role as an educator somewhat dubious, IMO. People do have a right to those beliefs and to express them just as I have a right to judge them by their expression of these beliefs

Care for a little hyperbole to further my point?

Its seems that George ‘Jim Jones’ Hopkins has done a good job of teaching his anti-South bigotry to generations of Cadets and their fans as they are mainly the ones that continue to support and justify his words while also trying to shut down this thread to deny information and Hopkins' truth. This is why I neither direct students to the Cadets nor will I do so in the future. Because I think education should teach informed critical thinking as opposed to teaching anti-Southern fascism and idolatry instilled through borg Kool-Aid and Stalinesque practice days under the guise of marching band.

(I’m fine with that going over many people’s head)

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 5

Do some of you folks REALLY believe GH has a personal prejudice with "the South"? I don't think this has ANYTHING to do with the people, culture or lifestyle of the southern states.

This is simply a case of George finding out that instead of a stadium and press box his corps was going to have to make do with a couple of grass fields...like all corps have to do from time to time.

However, IF he could find better facilities for his corps, less than 3 weeks from championships, then why not?

His rant was against the typical souther facilities NOT against the people of the south.

Should he have made those concerns PUBLIC via Facebook? No, but

it's certainly not the first time he's expressed his personal feelings online. To label him a bigot against the south is totally unfair.

I would think he regrets doing it and especially if it caused any ill feelings towards his kids and the drum corps activity.

• Like 1

Lol, now this is the end of the activity? This is just another misstep by GH. People will forget (well, maybe not the people who already have general disdain for him no matter what he does), and life will go on. I'm sure a vent on facebook is not going to be the end of drum corps.

You mistook my comment. I'm concerned for the future of the activity if Hop is the front voice.

• Like 1

Do some of you folks REALLY believe GH has a personal prejudice with "the South"? I don't think this has ANYTHING to do with the people, culture or lifestyle of the southern states.

This is simply a case of George finding out that instead of a stadium and press box his corps was going to have to make do with a couple of grass fields...like all corps have to do from time to time.

However, IF he could find better facilities for his corps, less than 3 weeks from championships, then why not?

His rant was against the typical souther facilities NOT against the people of the south.

Should he have made those concerns PUBLIC via Facebook? No, but

it's certainly not the first time he's expressed his personal feelings online. To label him a bigot against the south is totally unfair.

I would think he regrets doing it and especially if it caused any ill feelings towards his kids and the drum corps activity.

Yeah, Hopkins definitely did not mean this towards to people, culture or lifestyle of the south. Not sure why people are taking it that far.

Do some of you folks REALLY believe GH has a personal prejudice with "the South"?

Yes

I'm also seeing some in here from Cadet alumni, do I need to point some of it out?

A lot of people bash the South, it’s acceptable for many

Don’t mean it’s right

• Like 2

You mistook my comment. I'm concerned for the future of the activity if Hop is the front voice.

Oh, well I stand corrected. In any event, I think people are making too big of a deal about this. There are a lot worse things that people post on Facebook. Sh&t happens. That's the same sentiment he should have taken and just kept it moving on trying to find a new site for The Cadets. Instead, he gave people who already despise him more of a reason to nail him to the cross.

• Like 1