I have to wonder if anyone actually bothered to read the Facebook post. He does not bash the South. He does make it clear that touring in the South has challenges that bother him. So freaking what?

The way he said it was unbefitting his position, it was an inappropriate way to deal with whatever the actual problem was, and regardless of yours or my personal feelings or the rationality of the reaction it did predictably upset folks, and fed into bad stereotypes of drum corps that contribute to making the South a rough place to tour.

• Like 1

The way he said it was unbefitting his position, it was an inappropriate way to deal with whatever the actual problem was, and regardless of yours or my personal feelings or the rationality of the reaction it did predictably upset folks, and fed into bad stereotypes of drum corps that contribute to making the South a rough place to tour.

1. No it wasn't. It was what his blog is about.

2. It was in no way dealing with the problem. That had already been done.

3. As my dad says, the masses are #####.

4. It ain't a stereotype if it's true. I'm from the South, and I hated touring the South.

• Like 1

:blink:/> What worse things have other DCI directors, board members, or executives posted on Facebook?

I never said anything about other DCI directors, board members OR executives. I'm talking about people in general. Stop trying to create problems where there aren't any. I'm not "friends" with any of them. Like I said, PEOPLE post WAY more offensive crap on Facebook. Let's stop acting all butt hurt and let it go.

Paula Dean was roundly bashed by many when trying to excuse her statements as being Southern. She is not representative of The South nor were her statements even if she tries to package herself as such. To credit her as such would be to paint The South as sharing her views. She was in fact bashing the South when she used it as an excuse for her bigotry

Perhaps more plainly put, do her statements make her as ‘pro-south' as it gets’?

Why?

Hard to believe I'm writing this, but as "delicious" as a conversation/thread about Paula Dean, the South, and contemporary American race relations is, let's maybe steer clear of that and just focus on the article and The Cadets and GH?

Someone start a Paula Dean thread!!

Hopkins is so oblivious to the feelings of others and so self-absorbed in his own ego that he can't help but act this way. I think he takes himself and his position much more seriously than anyone should ever take themselves and his complete and total lack of anything even resembling humility is a character flaw, IMO.

I think this comment from the article says it best:

"This post was extremely unprofessional of you and you have now misrepresented the corps and the alumni. It seems that you have lost what drum corps is about, having a great show, and bringing great music to fans and kids who are the future of drum corps."

• Like 3

did a non G7 corps get the coveted stadium????

many corps go an entire summer without rehearsing somewhere with a decent stadium.

How is that relevant? If a school says "You can use this facility", and then fails to provide it because they made an obvious scheduling error, it is on them. It has nothing to do with placement.

For the 4th time (i think)....the situation is embarassing enough as it is. Hop screwed up in a fairly big way...most of us agree on that. But.... Stop trying to make more out of it than is already there by inventing perceived slights that dont exist. They reveal more about you than they do about the situation....

• Like 1

I never said anything about other DCI directors, board members OR executives. I'm talking about people in general. Stop trying to create problems where there aren't any. I'm not "friends" with any of them. Like I said, PEOPLE post WAY more offensive crap on Facebook.

That's true, but directors of corps posting to the official corps Facebook page have a different standard to meet than Random d###### #337.

1. No it wasn't. It was what his blog is about.

The Cadets Facebook page is not the right place for Hops unfiltered thoughts.

4. It ain't a stereotype if it's true. I'm from the South, and I hated touring the South.

I'm not arguing about the conditions for touring corps in the South. I'm sure it's cruddy. But there are good and bad ways to deal with such a situation, and George chose a bad way.

I march in Garfield at that time. I thought the kids that joined the corps at that time were from Louisiana. I thought they came up with Manny ( the drum major at that time) and those guys.

That was the second group up. Two separate ventures