For someone who grew up in the NYC/NJ area, I just had Rita's italian ice for the first time. Not exactly sure WHAT it has to do with this thread, but there ya go. :huh:/>

That's OK. I don't think I ever ate a Moon Pie in my entire life.

• Like 1

What the heck is a Moon Pie?

250px-Moon-Pie-Split.jpg

What the heck is a Moon Pie?

A supposedly popular snack in the South.

Moon Pie

Well, I've read a lot of comments, and a LOT of generalizations.

Those of you citing Hopkins supporters as apologists are missing the point, and those who are condemning the entire Cadets organization because of 1 person's actions are casting a generalization at the corps which is, in FACT, false.

I have seen the pot stirrers and those who just love to bash Hopkins at any chance they get.

The bottom line here is that a corps director became frustrated by a situation that was not ideal and where he was told he would get one thing (for the corps) and ultimately that agreement changed. If you've every run a top 12 corps you know how big a deal this is. Every rehearsal day can cost a corps or really help. I would think any director would be irate over this.

Now, would other directors lash out the way he did? Some might, but most would not. GH has always been very "open" and public with his life, his emotions, his thoughts, and his love for the activity. We may not like his ideas, and most other directors do not blog and FB and tweat like he does, but there are both pros and cons to such openness. Nobody in the activity offers more off-season info and media than do the Cadets. That is because of GH. With the good comes the bad.

He can also be very vocal and open when he is upset, and in this case he was clearly wrong, using poor judgement and he demonstrated a lack of good leadership skills. He has apologized to my knowledge, and he has blogged about his unprofessional actions (in this case) as a letter to his corps. I read it and it was quite sincere.

Now, is GH the first leader to make a mistake? No. Have all of you made mistakes? Yes. Hell, I've said some sh-t when things have gone wrong with my band program and I'm just glad that I don't FB or Tweat those things. But I'm also not as open as GH is.

In the long run, GH knows the South has good reason to be mad at him. Hopefully intelligent people will realize that it was a corps director in a heated moment that made a bad mistake and nothing more. The crudest and less-intelligent will generalize the whole situation and boo the Cadets, make false statements about how the Cadets are classless and complain about rehearsal sites, etc. This is what the uninformed do and it's what less-than-intelligent people do...they embellish, generalize, cast a wide stone, and then place themselves on the perch of "I would never have done this horrible act."

Personally I would have been ###### at those schools and at DCI, and who knows what would have come out of my mouth. I can only hope I would not have posted it. Corps directors definitely have a lot of stress and they want the best for their members, staff, and for the benefit of their competitive chances. That's not an apology for GH's actions. It's just a summary of why these things can happen from time to time. Clearly he was wrong. I only ask that we stop casting over-arching stones at the total organization. I have seen and heard far worse in this activity, and with corps that many of you think are sacred.

Who is comdemning the entire Cadets organization? I haven't seen anything like that here. If anything, people are sorry that they have to be associated with this nonsense.

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 2

In my inbox this afternoon:

Greetings ..

Just a thank you for your recent generosity to the Cadets.

As you know, we are in Louisiana today, rehearsing at Cajun Stadium, and we are appearing in Ocean Springs tomorrow.

We are thrilled to be here … I chose the tour, and I am well aware of our connection to many in the South.

I am sorry about the uproar from the newspaper article.

My FB post, that led to all, was a bit of a desperate cry for housing assistance. We had two locations without the fields we needed to work, and we were running out of time. I love the South!!!! One of the most fabulous relationships if my life was with a woman from the South and who knows, I may retire here one day.

My concern was the housing and the fields … not the people.

With that said, I appreciate you and your kindness and i hope you get out to one of the shows coming up.

All the best

Hop

George J Hopkins

CEO- Youth Education in the Arts

He sure chose a strange way to go about crying out for housing assistance.

• Like 1

Will South-Gate replace Hash-Gate in the collective memories of drumcorps fandom?