Hopkins really is the Steinbrenner of the Drum Corps world.

Which "Steinbrenner" are you referring to ? George is deceased, and Yankees baseball fans "hate" his Son Hal thats running the show now about as much, if not more so, as do the non Yankees fans do. So I 'm not getting your analogy.

I'm not arguing about the conditions for touring corps in the South. I'm sure it's cruddy. But there are good and bad ways to deal with such a situation, and George chose a bad way.

Yes, I think we can all agree that George Hopkins excursion into " the South " ( as he phrased it in his remarks ) was not in hindsight a top act TOC moment, ie the " Tour of a Champion " ( him ) in his remarks re. being " in the South ".

Edited by BRASSO

I only experienced one school in the south that was I guess you would say "run down" but the people there were really nice and we had a blast there. I thought it was quite beautiful though. Pinson Valley Alabama.

I'm almost certain that George has no idea what a bad housing situation actually is. Hint: Not getting the host school to line three fields for you is not "a bad housing situation". Ask folks that have marched in lower tier corps about this subject, and they'll tell you.

• Like 4

in the midst of all this - thought I'd share a note from Hopkins to the corps members he wrote after watching their performance last night. A little more insight than just his "less than ideal" comment regarding a couple housing sites in "the south"

By George Hopkins

OPEN LETTER TO THE CADETS OF 2013 .... !!!!

My heros ....

It's difficult to speak to my awe of the people you are.

I am not sure why but I am brought to tears when I watch you. As I told you this is rare for me. I cried watching Kate ... and a few other times. But somehow ... you make my heart leap.

I admire your fortitude, I admire your artistry, I admire your blind obediance to a higher order. You charge forward to greatness without a roadmap! That is awesome !!! That takes courage!!!!

You are Cadets and you are stupendous.

and

I am honored to be here as your director.

I am sorry when I am less than my best, an i am sorry if and when I ever do anything that beliettles who you are and the magnificence you create. I hope I am a model for you. I work to be so. And this i a journey for me too ... as you!!!

And I guarantee ... i will know you ... and I will serve you for the remainder of the year. I will so do anything possible to assist you in being the best version of you!!!!!

And one more thing .... if you ever need me for the rest of your life, I am available. Totally !!!!

Best wishes tonight and the rest of the year. You do not need luck ... you just need to perform with the angels.

Love

Hop

• Like 3

he gave people who already despise him more of a reason to nail him to the cross.

So in your analogy here, George Hopkins is Jesus Christ and haters are going to murder him by crucifixion ?

Is this perhaps a " martyr complex " at work here perhaps by Cadets alums and excuse makers ? This is afterall coming from a guy that if his G7 plan were adopted as proposed would have led to the death of about a dozen Drum Corps. Some Corps were going to be " nailed to the Cross " all right, but it sure as heck wasn't going to be George up on that Cross if he had his way.

Edited by BRASSO

to the people discounting the story (or saying it isn't a big deal) b/c it came from social media, tell that to the Tunisians or the Egyptians or the Turks or the Chinese.

Oh. My. God.

GH is going to overthrow the government, y'all.

I'm almost certain that George has no idea what a bad housing situation actually is. Hint: Not getting the host school to line three fields for you is not "a bad housing situation". Ask folks that have marched in lower tier corps about this subject, and they'll tell you.

I don't think he threw a tantrum because he couldn't get fields lined for him. You do know they line their own fields just like every other corps, right?

You mistook my comment. I'm concerned for the future of the activity if Hop is the front voice.

IMO doesn't matter if it is a front voice or not as most people reading this outside of DCP has no idea of GHs history in DCI. If I was reading this without any knowledge I'd say it's some prima donna who thinks their little "band thing" is more important than anything else in the area. Think of some celebrity coming into a place to do a film shoot and just bashing the place. REALLY makes DCI look good right?

You'd think in his position and after the times he's upset people with his utterances (hash marks, the business staff member he bashed in a help wanted ad about 4 years back) you'd think he'd learn to think first. Doesn't matter how good he is other ways, just don't get it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4. It ain't a stereotype if it's true. I'm from the South, and I hated touring the South.

An insult is an insult.....

Like say .... "the masses are ###es".... Guess you're above them right?