I'm almost certain that George has no idea what a bad housing situation actually is. Hint: Not getting the host school to line three fields for you is not "a bad housing situation". Ask folks that have marched in lower tier corps about this subject, and they'll tell you.

Yeah...we never had a bad housing situation. Because those are somehow only limited to "lower tier" corps. Not to mention that George marched in the 70s...i'm sure that had massage tables and king bed guest suites set up in every school back then

***end sarcasm***

(its good to see that ignorance is a universal trait...)

• Like 1

Hey that George Hopkins he is an evil man RIGHT GUYS?! Grow up. He made a booboo and people are taking it way too personally.

He sure does seem to make a lot of "booboos" ... and how could it not be taken personally?

in the midst of all this - thought I'd share a note from Hopkins to the corps members he wrote after watching their performance last night. A little more insight than just his "less than ideal" comment regarding a couple housing sites in "the south"

It's a nice note to the corps. Not sure what it has to do with this topic. Unless it's to say that he gave a better apology for behaving badly to the members than to the people he originally upset. In which case, yep.

• Like 1

It's a nice note to the corps. Not sure what it has to do with this topic. Unless it's to say that he gave a better apology for behaving badly to the members than to the people he originally upset. In which case, yep.

yes. that was the point - this is quite the "tempest in a teapot" IMO.

It’s clear from reading the Cadets thread and this thread that most of you fail to understand the issue or what George ‘Paula Dean’ Hopkins just said and many of you are furthering it yourself, more so in that other thread. So Please stop

Hoppy just expressed anti-south bigotry. He also stated that he acted on it in the past and suggests he will do so again in the future

The school is not the issue, saying the school is systematic of The South or to be expected because it’s The South is the problem

Do you think if he had a problem with a school in Minnesota he say ‘this is why we avoid the Great Lake States’

Anti-south bigotry is pretty common and somewhat accepted by many but in no way do the problems with this school have anything to do with ‘The South”

This isn’t just another misstep; it’s an unapologetic confession of his personal bigotry and how it has effected the Cadets and the region by them avoiding The South”

What do you think he just taught the Cadets about The South with that post?

Here's a lesson for them...there is a greater implication with The South than south

Exactly!

I'm glad you brought up Paula Dean - just as silly "outrage" in that case / poor women is ruined and others (edited - political) get a pass on saying things much worse based on who they are... Same goes for Hopkins - lots of folks in this thread and the other claiming "offense" who never have a nice thing to say about Cadets and/or Hopkins. Let's face it - there's a lot more at play than a few poorly chosen words on a fb post.

What Hops said this month was way more indicative of current feelings of bigotry and stereotype than what Dean said years ago. Anti-South bigotry is just more tolerated and widespread than the type of bigotry Dean expressed. Both should be rejected.

Do some of you folks REALLY believe GH has a personal prejudice with "the South"? I don't think this has ANYTHING to do with the people, culture or lifestyle of the southern states.

This is simply a case of George finding out that instead of a stadium and press box his corps was going to have to make do with a couple of grass fields...like all corps have to do from time to time.

However, IF he could find better facilities for his corps, less than 3 weeks from championships, then why not?

His rant was against the typical souther facilities NOT against the people of the south.

Should he have made those concerns PUBLIC via Facebook? No, but

it's certainly not the first time he's expressed his personal feelings online. To label him a bigot against the south is totally unfair.

I would think he regrets doing it and especially if it caused any ill feelings towards his kids and the drum corps activity.

Based on his own words ... yes, I do. I don't know how else you could interpret what he said. It isn't that uncommon to have an anti-south bias if you live in the northeast. I saw it all the time when I went to school in Virginia. To many northeasterners, southerners are dirty, stupid, and racist. Having spent a lot of time in the South, such stereotypes are not anywhere close to being true.

As for your statement that this is about facilities ... have you seen the pictures of the school? It is brand new and nicer than anything I have seen before. This was about him not getting to practice in the stadium like he wanted to, and lashing out with bigoted comments as a result.

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 1