Mississippi ranked 47th out of 50 in terms of quality education:

47. Mississippi (One of the 5 Worst)

Mississippi was given a C- and averaged a 71 percent. The state has one of the lowest levels of parental education in the nation and the most families in poverty. They are the only state in which less than 20 percent of eighth graders are proficient in math and reading.

While a mere 63 percent of their students graduate high school, the bigger problem for Mississippi is that the high school assessments and credits do not align with postsecondary school standards. They lack an assessment at the district level to ensure children are ready for school. In all categories, they have the worst NAEP scores in the nation

http://www.takepart.com/photos/five-best-states-education-five-worst/47-mississippi-one-of-the-5-worst

and how about their investment in school infrastructure??

Schools

Public school districts in Mississippi spent a total of $95 million on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.

It is estimated that Mississippi schools have $3.4 billion in infrastructure funding needs.

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/a/#p/state-facts/mississippi

seems like Mississippi has bigger concerns than some "PA Band Director" posting on FB that their assigned practice sites were less than ideal :rolleyes:/>

You must have missed it ... THIS is where they were staying:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ocean+springs+hs+ms&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=f8HqUYKYO4iE8gTrpoCQAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i%7C7%3Bd%7CZ2Z4SOT3uo5AVM%3A

But by all means, keep spreading your ignorance.

• Like 1

Mississippi ranked 47th out of 50 in terms of quality education:

47. Mississippi (One of the 5 Worst)

Mississippi was given a C- and averaged a 71 percent. The state has one of the lowest levels of parental education in the nation and the most families in poverty. They are the only state in which less than 20 percent of eighth graders are proficient in math and reading.

While a mere 63 percent of their students graduate high school, the bigger problem for Mississippi is that the high school assessments and credits do not align with postsecondary school standards. They lack an assessment at the district level to ensure children are ready for school. In all categories, they have the worst NAEP scores in the nation

http://www.takepart.com/photos/five-best-states-education-five-worst/47-mississippi-one-of-the-5-worst

and how about their investment in school infrastructure??

Schools

Public school districts in Mississippi spent a total of $95 million on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.

It is estimated that Mississippi schools have $3.4 billion in infrastructure funding needs.

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/a/#p/state-facts/mississippi

seems like Mississippi has bigger concerns than some "PA Band Director" posting on FB that their assigned practice sites were less than ideal :rolleyes:/>/>/>

Oh brother, this thread discussion has really gone " South " if we are now about to compare the States of Mississippi and New Jersey " rankings " that is totally unrelated to George Hopkins complains about " Housing Accommodations ". What " Housing Accommodations " did GH's Uncle Sam provide to him when he was drafted or volunteered to serve his Country when he was in his 20's ? How does he " rank " the " Housing Acccommodations " in Saigon or its outskirts to those in Ocean Springs, Mississippi ?

Edited by BRASSO

And you can STFU. This is a terrible response and even more insulting to us Mississippians than the recent comments of the director of the cadets, IMO. You are digging the grave even deeper.

We can have an honest discussion about the state of affairs in education and educational infrastructure or we can run around in circles being "offended"

Your choice.

I didn't miss it. I'm not ignorant. And Let's not get PERSONAL.

I know where they were staying - unfortunately the stadium and the actual #2 football field weren't going to be available and the corps wanted a stadium - which is why he said "less than ideal" for their rehearsals. He didn't call the place A DUMP.

So run around being "offended" and "outraged"

Seems to be all the rage these days :tongue:

• Like 2

read my post... horrible infrastructure issues in Mississippi with very weak investment. Billions needed to "catch up" to where the educational infrastructure should be. Unfortunately.

Do you know what a stereotype is? The school they were staying in was BRAND NEW and nicer than most high schools I have seen anywhere. Facilities differ very widely from community to community. The article you ignorantly cite was about funding from state government. Many states fund their building projects with local bond issues ... especially in states that give more local control to schools than others. There are positives and negatives to that model of funding, but you really should know what you are talking about before you go accepting everything you read that supports your negative stereotype of the south.

I'm not from the south, by the way (though I have lived in various parts of the south several times during my life).

Edited by jasgre2000

Oh brother, this thread discussion has really gone " South " if we are now about to compare the States of Mississippi and New Jersey " rankings " that is totally unrelated to George Hopkins complains about " Housing Accommodations ". What " Housing Accommodations " did GH's Uncle Sam provide to him when he was drafted or volunteered to serve his Country when he was in his 20's ? How does he " rank " the " Housing Acccommodations " in Saigon or its outskirts to those in Ocean Springs, Mississippi ?

Sorry man - the "rankings" and the second link both speak to "educational infrastructure" which I though was the point here. Was trying to bring some actual "facts" into the discussion so it wasn't just about being reactive to a FB post

We can have an honest discussion about the state of affairs in education and educational infrastructure or we can run around in circles being "offended"

Your choice.

You can't have an honest discussion with someone that has no idea what they are talking about.

So now it is just about not having thick skin? Why would I need thick skin if Hops didn't say anything wrong? And what was unclear with any of my previous statements?

I did not say he didn't say anything wrong. I've already conceded that. But people say things wrong all the time on the internet, hell, even this site. The problem is some people are too sensitive with the issue. Hell, there are times I've gotten sensitive about what has been said on this site. But I'm used to how people act here. People talk crap about NYC and NJ, the two places I grew up, all the time. But you think that bothers me? Nope. I'm a Navy recruiter, and I have to deal with parents and kids hanging up on me or cursing me out. But you think I allow that to affect me in my job? Nope. There are more important things to worry about than what someone says about your school, state or anything else otherwise.