Will South-Gate replace Hash-Gate in the collective memories of drumcorps fandom?

Not even close....Hash Gate was far worse

• Like 2

Who is comdemning the entire Cadets organization? I haven't seen anything like that here. If anything, people are sorry that they have to be associated with this nonsense.

Probably not so much here, but in other threads and social media you now see people generalizing and casting that wide accusation at the entire corps. Yes, I agree. I think most on this topic have limited their criticism to GH. And I agree, he needs to be accountable (as I stated) and he was definitely wrong. If I were him I would be apologizing often, and in many forms, and I would promise to bring the Cadets south for future shows to help with fan draw.

As others have pointed out: this is the type of mistake that can really hurt public relations between those schools and fans and DCI.

• Like 1

I think this guy needs an agent or something.

doh.gif

At least someone to go over (vet) his postings before they go out. Don't know why but keep thinking of the "help wanted ad" he sent out ca 2009 when one of the staff members left. First half was a rant/rambling (not sure which) on people leaving for personal reasons. The second half was the standard what was needed for the position.

Problems with the first half was it came out as a slam on the person who left and what was stated didn't match the fact according to some who know the person. Person wasn't named but since the position advertised was just vacated it sure appeared to point the finger that way. Also, in the business world, you do NOT have personal feelings, opinions and especially b-word sessions in a professional ad. Someone really needed to tell GH "Stop think this over, this is unprofessional as Hades...". I can see mistakes being made with 8,000,000 things going on at once but a second set of eyes (with mouth to match) would head off some problems.

• Like 2

I know what "less than wonderful" can be translated to about 2 hours east of Allentown. But you'd need to hear the tone of voice or facial expressions to tell better.....

Oh my I forgot the ---> :devil: and someone got touchy.... :tongue:

Reading some of the other posts I've had Moon Pies (Cracker Barrel sells 'em) and Ritas Italian Ice is down the street. So guess my part of Central PA is pretty Cosmopolitan.... :cool: But ain't the Official Food of Allentown the Funnel Cake... :devil:

OK, I didn't read the various posts - my head would explode - but did we seriously just write 41 pages because George said unflattering things about facilities for Cadets?

Every drum corps needs an advocate making sure their facilities are what they need. Some show sponsors will give you a parking lot, a vacant lot you can line - honest to god Boston was assigned to a field that contained a cemetery within the footprint of our practice field.

if anyone had printed what I said to that show sponsor there would have been more response than what George got.

I haven't always agreed with George. I fought what became the Big 7 way back in 1995 at a Boston DCI enclave.

But c'mon. How many directors have done for their corps what he has done for Cadets?

If they don't like him in Mississippi, I don't see him losing any sleep over it. I know after 1993 DCI I'm never going back there.

Suck it up - he's a band director, not Prime Minister of Bratslaska or somewhere with a nuke.

The activity will go on quite nicely without the Cadets going south, and the Cadets will go on quite nicely without going through Mississippi.

42 pages? Really?

• Like 4

Probably not so much here, but in other threads and social media you now see people generalizing and casting that wide accusation at the entire corps. Yes, I agree. I think most on this topic have limited their criticism to GH. And I agree, he needs to be accountable (as I stated) and he was definitely wrong. If I were him I would be apologizing often, and in many forms, and I would promise to bring the Cadets south for future shows to help with fan draw.

As others have pointed out: this is the type of mistake that can really hurt public relations between those schools and fans and DCI.

I think what has surprised me a bit about this is the missed opportunity he/the organization has had to turn the whole thing into a positive for the corps and DCI by acting quickly and magnanimously. As irritating as it can be when people take offense at something that you in no way intended to be offensive (and you consider ridiculous), if you basically overcorrect and over-apologize, you can end up getting a wave of good will from it. A bit of theatrical schmoozing can go a long way and leave a lasting impression that wipes out the previous negative.

Instead, it has been more like watching an 8-year old who doesn't want to eat his vegetables. Rather than trying to hide the carrots under the mashed potatoes with appeals to the corps, donors and supporters, a quick and gushy letter, perhaps drafted by someone in the office, with edits/additions, sent to the media outlet, plus good communication with the band director/show sponsors could have nipped the whole thing in the magnolia bud, before a second story was ever published.

I find the guy a very interesting character, and as he is someone who constantly preaches the benefits of choosing one's attitude and response to situations, the choices so far with this one have perhaps not produced the best results.

• Like 5

Good lord people,

Move on. Nothing more to see here.

He apologized twice. They are in Alabama/Mississippi today and tonight. All are still alive. The world still is round.

Move on to the next topic.

• Like 1

He apologized twice. They are in Alabama/Mississippi today and tonight. All are still alive. The world still is round.

Are you sure???? :smile:/>/>

Well, I guess it might be round, just not spherical... :tongue:/>/>

2B9E5F37E43F339902AFD97335F21_h316_w628_m5_ccTXEyaCT.jpg

I really hope the show itself is a great success after all this bad press...