Yeah, Hopkins definitely did not mean this towards to people, culture or lifestyle of the south. Not sure why people are taking it that far.

People take it as far as they do because there's far too much anti-Southern prejudice in popular culture. There have been many times when I've been laughed at outright when I mention my home state, and I can vividly recall (on a WGI trip, actually) a store clerk, upon asking where our group was from, mockingly asking me if I was a member of the KKK.

So basically, it's kind of an open wound, and when a guy known for being immature and arrogant as Hopkins comes along and says what he says (and then compounds it with an apology that wasn't much more than a chance for him to say "Sorry I'm not sorry"), it's easy to understand why that would make people mad.

• Like 1

You're joking, right?

Paula Deen is as 'pro South' as it gets, yet you used her as a comparison to someone who was biased against the south. Hardly a leap of brilliance on my part...in fact my quip wasn't that clever, but it obviously went over some folks' heads. The fact that you pick up some kind of regional prejudice in my makeup from that is actually stupefying...

Paula Dean was roundly bashed by many when trying to excuse her statements as being Southern. She is not representative of The South nor were her statements even if she tries to package herself as such. To credit her as such would be to paint The South as sharing her views. She was in fact bashing the South when she used it as an excuse for her bigotry

Perhaps more plainly put, do her statements make her as ‘pro-south' as it gets’?

Why?

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 3

Paula Dean was roundly bashed by many when trying to excuse her statements as being Southern. She is not representative of The South nor were her statements even if she tries to package herself as such. To credit her as such would be to paint The South as sharing her views. She was in fact bashing the South when she used it as an excuse for her bigotry

Perhaps more plainly put, do her statements make her as ‘pro-south' as it gets’?

Why?

Yet you're painting alumni of Cadets as sharing GH's "views".

Ok - at least you have a point there. Hardly devastating, but I can see it. So we know for a fact that Chris marched cadets, and got this anti-southern Bias from Hopkins???

I wish I had, but did not. I live in NC, though. But, yes, I was stoking a little with that Christian comment. Wasn't my point, though.

Why?

Now we are just talking in circles. It doesn't matter whether she is actually representative of anything. We are speaking in terms of stereotypes and generalities, because that is exactly what Hopkins "stands accused" off. As such, Paula Deen is considered by most, and marketed herself (in terms of her speech, cooking, lifestyle, etc...) as a traditional southern woman, espousing almost antebellum era values. If we aren't going to agree to this concept, then the conversation goes no further (from me anyway).

I had no intention of actually getting political with the Paula Deen thing (who brought her up again?), but was merely pointing out the juxtaposition of the analogy you used. Perhaps I should have known better than to do such a thing on DCP and expect it to be taken at face value, but as I said, i'm a bit rusty. Then again - who brought the woman up as a conversation point? Probably not the wisest idea, if you are obviously still quite upset over the implications of her fall from grace.

Lastly - of COURSE no one person can actually 'represent' the ideas of a region...the idea on the face of it is preposterous. But the notion of a regional 'culture' or identity is predicated on making generalities. Naturally, there will be those that are outliers...and in many cases, as cultural paradigms shift, those outliers become the new norm. That doesn't mean that the entire concept is offensive or evil though...

I wish I had, but did not. I live in NC, though. But, yes, I was stoking a little with that Christian comment. Wasn't my point, though.

So his "point" is basically irrelevant.

Well, since you didn't march cadets, your comment is irrelevant in cowtowns rather thinly stretched argument. Stoke away!!

Yet you're painting alumni of Cadets as sharing GH's "views".

No, I said ‘some’ and gave examples ....more in that other thread...that other bit I said was hyperbole to further a point and I added I didn’t mind it going over some peoples head

Edited by cowtown

I know for a fact that The Cadets changed housing locations for the 2007 Russellville, AL contest because of the lack of practice fields (not enough). They ended up staying at a school I wrote for and consult with. The school they stayed for 2 days at was built in the 1960's (which is older then the one they would of went to) but had 3 practice fields with one being a stadium with a pressbox. It's the rehearsal space, not the quality of the facility.

While the choice of words IS an issue (because it reflects poorly on the activity), I can see his frustration if this is a frequent issue when he comes this way.

Edited by CloudHype

Of course the other irony here is that many of us 'defending' hopkins, really arent. In my first post in the other thread (which was my first on the topic in general), I wrote one sentence about how this 'could' have been the schools fault, and then several about how hopkins poorly represented his organization, and the activity in general. But...why pay attention to that? Since were accusing people of bias, prejudice, and overgeneralization, lets just lump all the arguments into 2 mutually exclusive camps while we're at it. It can be the "Die Hop Die" crowd vs the "U R NOW ASSIMALATED" camp. Ready....GO!