Now we are just talking in circles. It doesn't matter whether she is actually representative of anything. We are speaking in terms of stereotypes and generalities, because that is exactly what Hopkins "stands accused" off. As such, Paula Deen is considered by most, and marketed herself (in terms of her speech, cooking, lifestyle, etc...) as a traditional southern woman, espousing almost antebellum era values. If we aren't going to agree to this concept, then the conversation goes no further (from me anyway).

I had no intention of actually getting political with the Paula Deen thing (who brought her up again?), but was merely pointing out the juxtaposition of the analogy you used. Perhaps I should have known better than to do such a thing on DCP and expect it to be taken at face value, but as I said, i'm a bit rusty. Then again - who brought the woman up as a conversation point? Probably not the wisest idea, if you are obviously still quite upset over the implications of her fall from grace.

Lastly - of COURSE no one person can actually 'represent' the ideas of a region...the idea on the face of it is preposterous. But the notion of a regional 'culture' or identity is predicated on making generalities. Naturally, there will be those that are outliers...and in many cases, as cultural paradigms shift, those outliers become the new norm. That doesn't mean that the entire concept is offensive or evil though...

Paula Dean disgusts me but she is free to think how she wants and I’m free to judge her for it

I mentioned her as one that showed their real values with some causal statements that at their core, were not very causal...they showed hate that dribbled out of her brain

Much anti-South bigotry is so causal, so jokingly, so accepted that many who indulge don’t even realize what they are saying….such as yourself perhaps? and if pressed, I doubt that was your intent. But then again, I don’t know. It’s a rather dangerous road to travel.

People need to be aware of what they are really saying, why they are saying it and who they are offending

And you really shouldn’t blame DCP for me calling you on some mushy thinking, I’m not DCP :satisfied:

• Like 3

(personal attacks removed)

This is not new. It's not unique to drum corps. It's not news.

He's never crossed a line that would get him booted. Personally, I don't think it's out of the question that he someday will. More than anything, I'm finding his storyline a bit stale after 30 years of this. Yes, 30 years.

Edited by bawker
  • Like 1

Paula Dean disgusts me but she is free to think how she wants and I’m free to judge her for it

I mentioned her as one that showed their real values with some causal statements that at their core, were not very causal...they showed hate that dribbled out of her brain

Much anti-South bigotry is so causal, so jokingly, so accepted that many who indulge don’t even realize what they are saying….such as yourself perhaps? and if pressed, I doubt that was your intent. But then again, I don’t know. It’s a rather dangerous road to travel.

People need to be aware of what they are really saying, why they are saying it and who they are offending

And you really shouldn’t blame DCP for me calling you on some mushy thinking, I’m not DCP :satisfied:/>

I Stand by my statement honestly...but we got closer to a middle ground then I expected, so yay for that.

As far as bigotry towards certain regions in any drum corps - I'd have to say that we made fun of all regions equally. In particular, we had an AWFUL experience at the housing site at my home show (terrible showers and fields, and thefts from the locker room). You can bet people were a big fan of my region then. And some of the songs we sang in texas...

Then again...thats just drum corps. We do horrible things to pass the time. Cant be upstanding pillars of the universe every minute of every day, ya know (or maybe you dont...)

Really, I thought he did

sorry about that, I was wrong

EXACTLY!! See how easy it can be to forgive? Now if only people would do the same when he offers an apology.

Totally agree. It's like he can't get out of his own way sometimes. Does some good stuff - then sticks his foot in his mouth, reflecting poorly on the organization.

Sad it is coming in the middle of a great season for the Cadets. They are performing he heck out of their show and this is just a distracting negative to say the least...

It seems that he adheres to the "Just Spell The Name Right" school of publicity.

Sometimes that goes smoothly... other times it doesn't.

Either way... it certainly does get people talking about the Cadets/YEA, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

EXACTLY!! See how easy it can be to forgive? Now if only people would do the same when he offers an apology.

I know I would have found THAT apology insulting and I'm a Connecticut YANKEE. Besides why give a half-hearted apology when you seriously don't mean it!

• Like 2

depends upon the apology, he blew the first one

and is he sorry?

I'd say his apology was as sincere as Paula Deen's. So...not really all

Yes

I'm also seeing some in here from Cadet alumni, do I need to point some of it out?

A lot of people bash the South, it’s acceptable for many

Don’t mean it’s right

Ummm. I'm from the South. I marched at Cadets with other people from the South. We toured in the South. Anyone claiming that George Hopkins bashes the South or in any way tries to teach his students to have negative thoughts toward the South is flat out bearing false witness.

I have to wonder if anyone actually bothered to read the Facebook post. He does not bash the South. He does make it clear that touring in the South has challenges that bother him. So freaking what?

• Like 1