How low could Crown go?

Crown will be find this year. It does seem like their show is a bit stagnant and needs some changes. You can't perform the exact same drill and music from Day 1 to Day 75, you have to make some changes like everyone else. I think we'll see something change by Atlanta for them, to keep things fresh.

Crown seems stale probably because they have changed very little since June compared to Cadets and BD. I certain,y don't think they have peaked, but some of the sparkle has left because they really don't look or sound much different then a week ago. Watch the VOD of Minneapolis. Still my favorite show of the top 3 but not as enamored by it because its become more familiar. I want to choose my words properly because its not meant to be a slam. There designers just had their stuff together way before the other corps and haven't had to rewrite 30% off the show like Cadets or do the major cleaning BD did.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy

Well, I guess since Creativity and Originality are part of the GE sheets, this must be where BD is getting all of their points these past few years....

Or maybe because they are strong in percussion, brass, and colorguard consistently. That makes them harder to beat. And we all know that Crown has a percussion problem that is holding them back so there you go.

• Like 2

Crown seems stale probably because they have changed very little since June compared to Cadets and BD. I certain,y don't think they have peaked, but some of the sparkle has left because they really don't look or sound much different then a week ago. Watch the VOD of Minneapolis. Still my favorite show of the top 3 but not as enamored by it because its become more familiar. I want to choose my words properly because its not meant to be a slam. There designers just had their stuff together way before the other corps and haven't had to rewrite 30% off the show like Cadets or do the major cleaning BD did.

Some corps purposely design shows that grow and change organically over the season, though. It's not entirely accurate to say Crown's staff had their stuff together before other corps' staffs; it's a choice some other designers fully intend to make.

• Like 1

Or maybe because they are strong in percussion, brass, and colorguard consistently. That makes them harder to beat. And we all know that Crown has a percussion problem that is holding them back so there you go.

I specifically talked about GE in my post, but whatever.....

Yes, Crown't percussion kept them out of first last year and last night. Percussion scores are divided in half, so they don't even need to win the caption to win this year. They could end up in 5th, if the spread is close. Maxing out other captions can balance out a lower percussion score.

Interpretation? Seriously, What The Heck does that mean? So the judge is asked to interpret the membership's interpretation of the staff's interpretation of the designers' interpretations of the source? LOL, trust me, they try! IMO, this is the vast wasteland of the GE Music sheet where judges find a lot of their wiggle room.

? I'm confused by your criticism here. Evaluating "interpretation" is pretty essential to the practice of music, I would think. You do it when you hear renditions on "American Idol." You do it when you weigh one Mahler cycle against another. You do it when evaluating the merits of any musician against any other... It might be hard to quantify, but as a standard in itself, I don't see the controversy.

Edited by saxfreq1128

? I'm confused by your criticism here. Evaluating "interpretation" is pretty essential to the practice of music, I would think. You do it when you hear renditions on "American Idol." You do it when you weigh one Mahler cycle against another. You do it when evaluating the merits of any musician against any other... It might be hard to quantify, but as a standard in itself, I don't see the controversy.

Probably because what someone considers to be a good interpretation/arrangement is uncultured dreck to someone else. That's I think what he's getting at

• Like 1

P.S. Crown added a bunch in the opener, visually and in one part musically.... And it was sloppy! The first show I've seen or heard any of it but it will look and sound great soon. With all that slopfest they still only lost by .25, and their percussion deficit was .35

I feel no need for Crown fans to worry

Probably because what someone considers to be a good interpretation/arrangement is uncultured dreck to someone else. That's I think what he's getting at

Even then. I don't prefer Bernstein's take on Mahler, but if the question is whether or not he has a take on Mahler, and whether or not he found a way to get his orchestras to realize/perform that vision better than have many other conductors, the answer is undeniably that he has. It's partially a matter of taste, but it's mostly a matter of how much the performers are doing with what's on the page. I agree that it's a difficult thing to quantify, but it's not a ridiculous concept to me.

Either way, I don't know why SCV was 4th* in GE music; Crown and BD did not have good runs, IMO.

Edited by saxfreq1128

Even then. I don't prefer Bernstein's take on Mahler, but if the question is whether or not he has a take on Mahler, and whether or not he found a way to get his orchestras to realize/perform that vision better than have many other conductors, the answer is undeniably that he has. It's partially a matter of taste, but it's mostly a matter of how much the performers are doing with what's on the page. I agree that it's a difficult thing to quantify, but it's not a ridiculous concept to me.

Either way, I don't know why SCV was 4th* in GE music; Crown and BD did not have good runs, IMO.

It's not ridiculous, but it is hard to quantify. I liked Bernstein's take on Mahler, so right there we would have a difference of opinion on the judging sheets. I think that's what he was speaking about. There is a lot of difference between what people think about different musical interpretations, and how those are graded.

I don't know either, their music book seems pretty effective. Then again, that's probably why I'm not a judge, because there is too much grey area, and every judge must like different things, but always seem to fall pretty much in line.