Carolina Crown Percussion

So let me start by saying I am a brass guy and know very little about percussion. Can someone who is a percussion person explain a little about what it is that is causing Carolina Crown's percussion to be the thorn in their own side the last couple of years and why the staff can't seem to figure it out?

They certainly have been able to figure out the horn line (and guard too), but what exactly is it about the percussion that is holding them back? Is it the book - is it not as difficult as the other drum lines and they aren't getting credit in that respect? Is it execution and it's just that dirty? If so, why haven't they been able to clean as much as needed the last two years? Is it an ensemble and an issue of them not meshing? Is it the way that they move while they are playing? Is it a front ensemble issue? Etc., etc., etc.

Again, being a brass guy, I can distinguish issues from one horn line to the next, but I just don't know enough about percussion to understand what is lacking from Crown's drum line, specifically the last two years, and why the staff can't quite seem to get it right (especially when compared to the level the horn line and guard is at).

• Like 1

I've posted a few opinions on what I think is going on, maybe do a search on my name, I don't remember where I posted them, one i think in the official Carolina Crown thread...but, to be short, last years show and this years show is really written around the brass, either featuring the brass skills, or slow melodic tunes...that makes it very difficult to write enough content, that makes sense and compliments the corps. They have limited opportunities to write enough notes to score higher. It is not talent level or cleanliness...it's more how do you write notes for A Space Odessey or The Abyss? Then other parts of their show features the brass and the percussion section takes a back seat as to not over power what they are doing. It was the same thing last year, kind of hard to write notes doing Copeland's Common man, and while what they did was cool, the orchestral stuff they did had a pretty low execution level. Bottom line, IMHO, it is the show itself that makes it difficult to write for.

Edited by JKT90

Its a very high quality percussion unit. Strong all around, especially in that front ensemble.

I dont think its so much what they are not doing, but rather what SCV/Blue Devils/Cadets ARE doing.

That being said, this thing is far from over, even percussion wise. I think all of the top 4 teams have taken turns winning percussion head to head at some point this year

and its all been a game of 10ths and even hundredths. lol. I think its exciting! I think Crown will be in the mix but all of those corps have to really bring it every night. Makes

for an exciting last few weeks! I cant wait to sit in the stands at Allentown and watch every show for the 5th straight year!

• Like 3

Thom Hannum's beats are INCREDIBLY detailed and difficult, which means if you can't hang with the technique, you can't play the music. Percussion is a very visual section, so if you drop out or just plain look different, you're boned. What's happening to Crown now is they've got a tough book, coupled with a tough show and a relatively new group of students (to Hannum's world), which is NOT a winning combination.

Also add to that the pit, whose book, technique and tone quality is far below the brass's (obviously), but also below the level of other groups.

They need an overhaul in the whole percussion section, not just one half at a time.

• Like 2

Well, they beat Cavies tonight, so that's a step in the right direction at least. Hopefully it will be the kick in the pants they need to tighten down the drums

• Like 1

I'm certainly no expert on today's percussion sections, but I will offer my opinions.

1. Part is due to ranking the top 5-6 lines, and the spreads.

2. It is subjective - they are not playing their notes into a computer, and the line with the least variance wins. The judge doesn't see/hear everything, in their sampling they simply get a "sense" based on educated evaluation that x line's book is more demanding than y, y seemed to play cleaner than z.

3. Therefore, two lines virtually identical, but I have to choose/rank one over the other.... (may be influenced by reputation here)...spread is .1

4. The judge noticed a perceptible difference, .2 or greater depending.

Bad for Crown is a judge has to fit 5-6 lines within about a point or so. Also bad (other captions) - they would really like to increase spread in GE a couple of tenths to help cushion any deficits.

Good for Crown, they are ahead of Cavies, and increased spread from San Antonio to the TOC. Also good, they are just behind BC in both content, and achievement.

Hurdle : Bluecoats have a strong reputation in percussion. Crown will have to be obviously better to be judged superior to BC.

If they can move to 4th in drums, they win a ring.

What I would do - I would identify the most demanding, impressive, ramming set of notes the battery can play clean, and make a place for it in the show. 10-15 seconds of spotlight could do it.

Edited by c mor

?..to be short, last years show and this years show is really written around the brass, either featuring the brass skills, or slow melodic tunes...that makes it very difficult to write enough content, that makes sense and compliments the corps. They have limited opportunities to write enough notes to score higher. It is not talent level or cleanliness...it's more how do you write notes for A Space Odessey or The Abyss? Then other parts of their show features the brass and the percussion section takes a back seat as to not over power what they are doing. It was the same thing last year, kind of hard to write notes doing Copeland's Common man...

You could say the same for Cadets' Barber show, notably Adagio for Strings... But I think the Cadets drumline plays about 743,000,000 notes during the final Adagio for Strings quote.

Edited by Lead

I want to say that Crown has consistently the last couple years had one of the top front ensembles. I do think this year may be a little bit behind last year but it would be pretty hard to top last year's pit that I would argue was the best front ensemble out there (a bit subjective but they would be my choice).

Also Hannum knows how to write title winning books so I wouldn't blame it on his style of writing.

Really my only theory is that it's an indoor effect. Crown's percussion is by no means shabby but they're going up against corps that have extremely strong indoor groups to feed off of. Not that drummers these days are very local, but when there's a top indoor line in the same area you end up with drummers who do both and are drumming at a high level year round. Blue Devils have prominent members from both Pulse and RCC and Bluecoats have been known to draw from RCC and probably Matrix now as well. Same folks probably head to Cavies and Blue Stars too. Cadets are continuing the momentum they had from last year and I wouldn't be surprised if, like usual, there are several UMASS kids in the line and same goes for SCV and North Texas.

Again, I can only make a guess but I feel this probably at least partly explains it.

I want to say that Crown has consistently the last couple years had one of the top front ensembles. I do think this year may be a little bit behind last year but it would be pretty hard to top last year's pit that I would argue was the best front ensemble out there (a bit subjective but they would be my choice).

Also Hannum knows how to write title winning books so I wouldn't blame it on his style of writing.

Really my only theory is that it's an indoor effect. Crown's percussion is by no means shabby but they're going up against corps that have extremely strong indoor groups to feed off of. Not that drummers these days are very local, but when there's a top indoor line in the same area you end up with drummers who do both and are drumming at a high level year round. Blue Devils have prominent members from both Pulse and RCC and Bluecoats have been known to draw from RCC and probably Matrix now as well. Same folks probably head to Cavies and Blue Stars too. Cadets are continuing the momentum they had from last year and I wouldn't be surprised if, like usual, there are several UMASS kids in the line and same goes for SCV and North Texas.

Again, I can only make a guess but I feel this probably at least partly explains it.

I'm not sure of all the indoor influences, but I do know that two of their tenor players were in this season's champion Rhythm X.