Carolina Crown Percussion

That would be a relative 2nd tier. It was simply a term to describe recent judges' evaluations and percussion scores, not meant to demean. I saw two groups divided like this:

SCV 18.4

Cadets 18.1

BD 18.0

Bloo 17.8

CC 17.3

Cavs 17.3

Madison 17.2

Blue Stars 17.1

Amazing their music analysis scores are so high. Must be a field issue. You would think they would be last in the top three with the other two teams with strong BRASS and PERCUSSION.

What cracks me up is that someone could call Crown's drumline - or any other DCI world class drumline "2nd tier". Yes - a couple of lines stick out this year (SCV, Cadets) but none of them are remotely "2nd tier". That is all...

If a couple lines stick out as being top tier, wouldn't "second tier" apply to those in the tier just below them? It's a relative term and not necessarily a knock.

• Like 2

What's really remarkable about Crown's recent percussion woes is their lack of influence on the Musical Analysis score. You would think that if the percussion's performance was consistently so dirty (their achievement scores in this caption have been placing them in like 7th-11th place), you would think the musical analysis judge would hear this too and drop them. Yet Crown has consistently been winning (or at least extremely close to winning) this caption all year long. Last night music analysis was a full 1.1 points ahead of percussion.

Therefore, to me it seems that Crown's significant percussion problems are only being read by the field judge.... and do not translate up to the box. This is probably why we (the audience) can't hear too many of the problems either, because our vantage point is more similar to the box judges. I'm not sure if this has more to do with how their show is written or what, but I'm sure it is at least slightly frustrating the Crown staff.

It is interesting.

There are clarity issues I've heard all season long. Perhaps I notice such things more, since I tend to focus on the battery. The book is fine, but the execution level just isn't there, yet.

• Like 2

Thom Hannum's beats are INCREDIBLY detailed and difficult, which means if you can't hang with the technique, you can't play the music. Percussion is a very visual section, so if you drop out or just plain look different, you're boned. What's happening to Crown now is they've got a tough book, coupled with a tough show and a relatively new group of students (to Hannum's world), which is NOT a winning combination.

Also add to that the pit, whose book, technique and tone quality is far below the brass's (obviously), but also below the level of other groups.

They need an overhaul in the whole percussion section, not just one half at a time.

it's like they tried to write a non conventional ( aka current book) but are doing so with modern approaches, stickings etc. I've seen videos where the hand motions are constantly changing fast, which gives little room for error. the design team changed the game in 93 with Star, but the approach here just doesn't seem to be working

• Like 1

Good question. When was the last time you did?

dude he just asked a question

Amazing their music analysis scores are so high. Must be a field issue. You would think they would be last in the top three with the other two teams with strong BRASS and PERCUSSION.

Music Analysis is not an average of brass + percussion. It's an entirely different caption. Given that there's at least one judge (Pipitone, I think) who had Crown down by a point or more in percussion, then moved to the box and rated them #1 in Music Analysis at a later show, I think it's clear that Crown's percussion book is well-suited to the overall music, but perhaps just isn't up to par at the individual achivement level.