San Antonio Review

What a great show Saturday night in SA. Huge crowd too, though not many other than SCV & Crown really got the crowd reactions I would usually hope to see. I posted the below in the SA show thread in the main forum, but I for one hate scanning that whole thread for reviewer thoughts, so I spliced it over here. What a great year this is for true competition. Impossible to really call the winner right now(nor the 12th spot), which I love. This was my 3rd show this year (Denver, Denton & now SA), so down to only a handful of corps today that were my first live viewings.

Blue Devils - This show is growing on me every time I see it. Sit in the upper deck & you see more drill, and more demanding drill than BD has done in a long time, and it's getting better by the day. What I can't stand is the last 90 seconds of the show. A huge letdown. If that was fixed, they might be unbeatable, but they may not being willing to change their vision. Musically, this corps has come a LONG ways from Denver.

Crown - Hard to put a finger on it, but this corps just hasn't seemed to grow into their show from Denver to SA. In fact, the show seemed fresher, with more emotion in Denver than now or in Denton. Are the members bored with the show? For example, the Abyss oozed with passion, power & emotion in Denver, and now it's not nearly as impactful. The closer must be changed as well if they want to win. The bones are still there but Crown has to dig deep, emote and wear their emotions on their sleaves. And wow, Cadets are completely overpowering them, hearing them back to back.

Cadets - I honestly thought they might have won in San Antonio. Such power, with quality from the music ensemble. From the upper deck, I still don't like the boxes, but when moved well and in alignment, the effect does start to register in the upper deck. I think they deserved their strong GE scores. Very strong connection (at least made with me) - and lots of heads shaking in disbelief around me. To my eyes, the most yet to clean visually and in guard of the top 3. Who of the top 3 has the strongest track record of late season surges? (Hint, it's not BD or Crown...) Very much a 3 horse race here.

SCV - Getting better, more rapidly, to me than anyone else. Love the show, love the effects, and while the last 60 seconds still aren't the highlight of the show it needs to be musically, the drill is getting it closer. Don't think they have the execution levels musically to win, but they are not locked out of top 3. They have a vehicle that can take them higher. Regardless, my favorite show of the year. Odd how many 4th and 5th place shows over the years have been my favorites that particular year...

Phantom - Holy cow, huge step up for them from where they were just a week ago. Far more power, emotion & flow in the show, though there is still a ton of work to do. I actually liked the Evil Queen addition, though they need to work on the movement and use of her. I'm sure that will progress. Phenomenal Drill, and Guard is outsanding. Sitting in the upper deck, I also felt like there is more equipment work than I was giving them credit for. That whole rotating sword & guard wedge with spectacular flag work is a highlight of the year. Love the new ending, and totally agree, as I was thinkiing the same thing - they need to close the book by Finals.

Bluecoats - More than any other corps, Bloo impressed me Saturday. Far more impactful - and powerful -- show than I had sensed seeing it online only (tonight was my first chance to see them live). Either that, or the just cranked it up the last few days. Don't see anyone behind them catching them, and Regiment better put on their typical late season surge to stay in front of coats safely. Guard is a huge differentiator keeping Regiment in front.

Madison - Another first live viewing, and another show that I liked more than I did online. Powerful, and emotional. I wouldn't say the death scenes & being carried off is the most tasteful thing I've seen (understanding what they represent), but I was not offended at all, and found the overall effect moving. Potential to be Madison's best PERFORMED show since their turn around the last four years.

Cavaliers - Liking this show a bit more each time I see it. Some very effective musical/visual moments, especially in the later part of the show. Last flag is terrific and very impactful. Still hate the Robes & they are worn way too long. Not a bad show - just not up to their standard from 2000-2010.

Blue Knights - I'm not sure they had their best run on Saturday. Either that or the show doesn't project and sell as well to the upper deck. I found BK flatter and less interesting than my first 2 viewings in Denver & Denton. I also thought they had a less clean run - musically and visually - in San Antonio. Well, except for the guard, which was very strong. The Blue Ball - I hate it more each time I see the show. It's amatuer and detracts from the show.

Boston - I'm so sorry, guys. Had to miss you to meet my late arriving guests at the gate with their tickets. See you in Allentown & Indy & looking forward to it.

Spirit - Another show, now that I've seen it live twice (Denton & SA) that may sell better to the lower stands than the upper deck. I still think, though, that this is a very intracately designed show with a lot of variety that is performed very well. I just don't see them getting passed by anyone below them.

Blue Stars - Either it was the dome and how it can blur out details, or the hornline was much better tonight about ensemble blend and tone quality than they were in Denton - hard to say which. Still have some great power at times, which helps propel the show. I like this show, and liked it more upon 2nd viewing, but the music arrangements are not as engaging as I would hope.

Crossmen - Warmed up to the show a bit more upon 2nd viewing. Still feel strongly about a few things, though. Visually, the drill is too compact and the field is not covered well until the last set. The music is way too choppy - too many thoughts crammed into one show, without letting most of them breathe long enough. The faux ending with the peace sign is a great touch, though. Performance-wise, this is a stronger corps than last year. The vehicle, not so much.

Troopers - Hmmm. Getting a little worried about Troopers. Didn't have nearly the impact on me upon 2nd viewing from up high than it did in Denver. Still, I love the show. I hope they can add some more demand and effect into the show, and ensure the members are 100% emotionally connected to the product. I still wouldn't rule them out of Finals, but it's a stretch to see them in. Despite all that, still one of my top 4 favorite shows of the year.

Pacific Crest - First viewing, so take with a grain of salt. I couldn't connect to this show as well as last year emotionally, but wow, I think this is the best PC has been from a talent, demand and execution perspective. I don't think they have the depth in programming or visual design demand to threaten top 12 just yet, but with the momentum of the past 2 years, I could see that coming in the next couple of years. Nice power, nice ensemble sound, and a very effective show.

Colts - First, I love how much Colts stepped up their visual design this year. Huge improvement. While I think Sully made sure to not write over their heads this year, this design just makes sense & fits the show. I think the corps did a better job on the Field of Dreams Piece than they did in Denton, but that section still needs a lot of work to bring out the musicality & emotion. Still hate the new uni, seeing them the 2nd time and this time from the upper deck.

Academy - Wow, this corps has improved a great deal from the mess they were in Denver - especially the horn line and the quality of the music ensemble's execution. The show sold a bit better, but still my least favorite program from Academy since at least 2007. I dont' see this corps catching anyone above them, though if they really work on selling what they are doing and cleaning up visually, they might catch Colts.

Oregon Crusaders - Let me say I loved their 2012 show. While this time was my first read of their 2013 show, I was hoping for something more. I found the show to reliant on the worst of modern programming, with uses of electronics, etc that were not that effective (to my tastes). While this show is obviously more difficult than last year's show, I think last year's design was far more effective, with more continunity. The whole cross to cross move near the end only stood, to me, as a stark contrast to the masterpiece that Star of Indiana pulled off 22 years ago. A talented crew, nonetheless, and a very welcome addition to World Class.

Mandarins - Love, love, love this show. Great design, and sold just as well up high as it did down low. Maybe the best use of narration i've seen so far in DCI (and I normally hate narration of almost any sort). The music book is wonderful, and drill is a big step up over their shows of the past few years, and the product is cohesive, moving and original. Best new uniform in DCI, hands down. They have a vehicle that could move them up a notch or 2, but the execution has to continue to improve - especially in guard. The tight bunching with Academy & Oregon is very well deserved, as is the chasm between them & those below.

Jersey Surf - I liked this show, just didn't love it. Not the powerhouse that was 2012 for sure. This show feels a bit more "kitcshy" then last year. It's still a nice, enjoyable show, but nothing inspired me to get out of my seat & yell like last year. I also found the color scheme, from corps uniform to the rest a bit too much. The corps execution levels also seemed stronger last year - both visually and musically.

Cascades - I appreciate the members' efforts, and I think Cascades are a much stronger musically than last year. Guard program & numbers really hold them back and the show concept just doesn't sell at all.

Pioneer - I enjoyed this show, and appreicate what they do with the limited #s they have. I thought the brass/percussion balance - while still too percussion heavy, has improved, too. Love the guard dresses.

Genesis - Wow! I was very impressed. A very strong Open Class corps with a nice program. Loved the modern revisiting of the Wizard of Oz with themes and material from movies, Wicked, and all the other variations included. On the World Class sheets, I could see them besting Pioneer & Cascades.

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan
  • Like 4

Awesome Review! Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks so much for your review!

LOL, Shaners. Nice & thanks for the props.

I would just say I'm a fanatic. So, yes, I have tended to hit 2-3 big out of town regionals a year, plus 1-2 local shows, and then Finals week every year. Back in the day as a poor post-college kid I did a lot of crazy drives for these. Now, at least, I'm blessed to be able to fly, and have a generous PTO bank that I can use some of in the summer (being the boss helps :) )

So this year, it's Denver, Denton (local), San Antonio, Allentown & Finals. I've become pretty religious about the Denver & Allentown shows - 2 of my favorites every year for different reasons.

Harvey

• Like 1