Abuse Vs Teaching

I thought they ran the outdoor San Antonio event as two evening shows.

It was two afternoon and evening shows. I think it started at like 2pm or something for the small Open Class corps there.

It was two afternoon and evening shows. I think it started at like 2pm or something for the small Open Class corps there.

I had no problem with the outdoor venue other than it feeling pretty small. I did have a problem with the logistics of said venue, though. YUCK. And the double whammy pricing for the tickets for both days!

edited to add: sorry for not staying on topic. I really don't have anything new to add to what everyone else has already so eloquently said.)

Edited by TerriTroop

The priest who taught the morality course I took in college had an easy way for us to distinguish slander and libel.

Slander is said. Both begin with an "s". Libel does not. It's written. Never forgot that.

San Antonio 2010 right? When they moved the show to some small outdoor stadium instead of the Dome. I'm sure it got pretty #### hot during that day show.

Look, summer is hot. Drum Corps is in the summertime. I'm pretty sure nothing was any worse than 93 finals in Jackson Mississippi where we rehearsed in the middle of the night under the lights to avoid the daytime heat, and slept in a cockroach infested 1940's gym with no AC (at least for the first few nights) By the end of that week I had heat rash from my knees to my nipples, totally ruined my chances with the hottie from Blue Saints.

Drum Corps teaches you lessons about life that you can't learn in a classroom. The good, the bad and the ugly. It's one hell of an education, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Look, summer is hot. Drum Corps is in the summertime. I'm pretty sure nothing was any worse than 93 finals in Jackson Mississippi where we rehearsed in the middle of the night under the lights to avoid the daytime heat, and slept in a cockroach infested 1940's gym with no AC (at least for the first few nights) By the end of that week I had heat rash from my knees to my nipples, totally ruined my chances with the hottie from Blue Saints.

As much as we can't say anything negative about the South, that's the reason Finals never went back there. Because every always says it was a terrible experience. Like the Miami Finals too. Bad ideas all over.

Also, sucks that you got your chances ruined. Not enough Gold Bond back then?

Edited by fsubone

I posted on this thread earlier how during my corps experievce I did not thimk it was abuse. Here is a story that happened with my daughter. Five years ago she is marching with a world class corps to remain nameless. She would text my wife and complain about how hard rehersals were and the treatment she was getting from instructors. I would tell my wife that is part of the corps culture and our daughter would eventually get used to it. The texting went on for weeks about how much she hated it. I would reassure her it will get better. We went to our first show to see her perform in early July. When we saw her after the show she begged to come home with us. She never had a I want to quit attitude before so I was somewhat concerned but told her to get on the bus. Couple weeks later while she is 1500 miles away, my wife and I are enjoying our date night and get a text that she messed up in the show and she was dreading what was going to happen to her afterwards. Later that same evening she calls me hysterical and I can barely understand her. Come to find out the staff had been making her wear an item around her neck that I will not identify but singled her out as a weak person. The staff would making her rep while everyone else got breaks, food/water breaks and other "punishments". Had no idea that this was happening to her so I left a message with the director to call me with an explanation. I got the phone call and asked him about the things my daughter had told me. He claims he new nothing about the incidents. To this day I find that hard to beleive. But after my discussion with the director they backed off. So then I go to DCI finals with some old corps buddys to watch my daughter perform. Told them what had happened and they thought this was rather excessive punishment. I told them it's too bad that she had to go through this and told them my daughter said she is never going to march again. Come October my daughtr asks if she could go to auditions. I was shocked! So she went back 3 more years. Marched with broken ribs, broken nose, broken fingers and was captain her final two years. So was this abuse? As a father who loves his kid it was. As an outsider it would be abuse. Was the final outcome positive? You be the judge. She is not emotionally or physically damaged from the experience. She is much more confident in herself and lifes challenges. Not all kids may have had the same outcome. It worked out for my kid but what about other stories similar that broke a kids spirit and suffer still. There is a fine line and when you cross that line you never know what may come of it. It has the potential for long term effects. These are human beings with feelings and emotions. People put in charge to instruct, teach, mentor and motivate must do so with great wisdom.

Don't you remember that time at Indianapolis in 2011 when the thermostat broke for 10 minutes and the mercury soared to 71 degrees?

Atlanta 1984?