First Post/Audition Preparation Advice

So I've been a huge drum corps fan for a while, and I have three more seasons to possibly be a part of a corps, I auditioned for several corps this last year and I almost made all the groups I tried for.

I've decided that this year I will do everything I can to be ready to get into the Vanguard. My problem is I can play really well and march decently, but I have no upper body strength (I play tuba/contra). And I never touched a contra before my audition and won't have access to one until my next audition. I was only turned away from the auditions because I was struggling to learn how to deal with the weight of the horn.

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for my next try at a corps? I've been doing some weightlifting / upper-body endurance training but any specific suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

So I've been a huge drum corps fan for a while, and I have three more seasons to possibly be a part of a corps, I auditioned for several corps this last year and I almost made all the groups I tried for.

I've decided that this year I will do everything I can to be ready to get into the Vanguard. My problem is I can play really well and march decently, but I have no upper body strength (I play tuba/contra). And I never touched a contra before my audition and won't have access to one until my next audition. I was only turned away from the auditions because I was struggling to learn how to deal with the weight of the horn.

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for my next try at a corps? I've been doing some weightlifting / upper-body endurance training but any specific suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey, there! I too am looking forward to marching in a corps this next season. I march snare, but am an avid weight lifter, and it has REALLY helped me out in every aspect of marching, and even my life. As I stated before, I play snare however, by the way I see that contras hold their horns I would imagine that some solid shoulders would come in handy. My favorite exercises for shoulders are military shoulder press, and lateral shoulder raises. This has dramatically increased the size and strength of my deltoids (side of shoulder) and posterior deltoid (back of shoulder). Hope this helps! Best of luck to you! if you have any questions, send me a message!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An exercise we were told was to hold 2 1 gallon milk bottles/water bottles at a similar position as carry. Push ups and lifting weights whenever you can will help.

• Like 1