Diners, Drum Corps & Drives

I had planned on eating some show food tonight, but unfortunately picked the wrong show for that. The main concession was only $2.00 hot dogs and chips and candy. The only other choice was a kettle corn stand. I was delayed getting to my seat because some long time friends on the BD Souvie truck had joined the tour in Atlanta, and I spent 2 corps talking drum corps with them. The stands were packed as I made my way to a great seat on the 50 while INT was on.

75C19224-3F5F-4BB5-91EE-108EAAD87FE6-12379-00000C17E7C9BBB0.jpg

1462062A-3BB3-464F-A5E5-2895E2884501-11163-00000BA58910768A.jpg

836AB470-969A-4FE8-BB09-D967F71BFF60-12379-00000C18B14E85E3.jpg

I will try and post some show pix and thoughts tomorrow, as it's getting late, and I'm "dog" tired hehe. I drove 90 miles North after the show, and will be in Frostburg MD with PR tomorrow for a day and night rehearsal.

Thanks, with the lack of comments i wasn't sure anybody was even watching it!

I've been following along! Thanks for doing this. I think many of us are jealous!

Good Morning! My GPS did not like the hotel street address last might, and I spent 30 minutes driving around some really dark back roads when I got off one exit early. The hotel was just OK, but served my purpose for one night.

Some final thoughts about last night...

As I have said before, so much about a show experience is determined by those sitting around you. I don't think the guy next to me cheered or got excited about anything. Many in my area were Crown fans, and seemed to be like a HS band crowd. That is they don't cheer or feel like they should enjoy any other "bands". Although I saw swarms of band kids in the lot and even bus loads arriving before the show, they were mostly seated outside the 20's. That made for a strange crowd response when they cheered all the spots that the younger generation seems to get giddy for, (like Some Nights), and it almost sounded like they were watching from under the stands when they shrieked.

As far as the corps performances go I don't think there is much in show detail that I need to comment on. Most of you have heard or seen all that stuff. So briefly some personal observations:

The pre show Xmen stuff is a little overdone for me. I also found it kind of funny that during the show they run back and forth with a "WAKE UP" picket sign! I can recall some shows I have watched that really needed this in them!

I really like the BAC show more and more with every viewing. They have great pacing of impact moments, and the end of the show grabs me from a old school place.

BD was not on their top game last night visually or brass wise. I saw and heard some things from an individual performance standpoint that were not as clean as the rehearsals that I watched the day before. The percussion was tight, and I'm kind of embarrassed that I didn't notice that there was no drum judge on the field!

Crown also had a couple of timing issues ensemble wise early on. It also seemed to me that the ballad narration volume was turned down a few clicks, and sometimes it was hard to hear what he was saying. That was ok by me, as I have not been a fan of that section anyway. The "relax" section as I call it from the CA Harloff lot clip, was SPOT ON. REALLY well performed, almost perfect I would say. The brass line also seemed to get to that over the bar volume at the end that they are looking for.

I can't say enough about how much more powerful the shows are live as opposed to the internet.

One last comment about the scores and placements...

It's too bad there wasn't a full panel last night, especially with the missing caption being one that Crown needs to improve in to have a shot at the title. Having an asterisk next to their win is unfair to them, but to be honest, I am not sure the kids care as much as the DCP crowd that can't wait to analyze every sub caption on the sheets. Watching the posts on the show threads this year remind me of expectant fathers in the waiting room of a maternity ward. There are "first timers" who seem to fret and worry about every possible detail and what could go wrong, wanting desperately for a happy result. Then there are some who have been there 15 times already, and are just sitting back, reading a magazine, confidently waiting for number 16 to arrive.

Off to Frostburg to see PR, then home late tonight for 4 days in my own backyard!

Here's some show pix other than those I posted in the show thread last night.

IMG_9574.jpg

IMG_9599.jpg

IMG_9614.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

• Like 1

Slight detour to hit a small bucket at the "bushwood" country club across the street from my hotel...figured out some things with the irons!

88B1B578-E19A-49A3-BBEC-C8009B850461-12533-00000C38DEE84ABF.jpg

Got some snobbish looks when I walked into the pro shop in my cut off phantom T-shirt. I felt like throwing a baby Ruth into their pool!

Edited by truman

I opted for the scenic route through the mountains of West Virginia. While there were some beautiful farms along the way, there were a lot of places that reminded me of something out of American Pickers. I was tempted to stop and do my best Frank and Mike impression, But I didn't have any flyers with me and most of the time I had no cell service, making it impossible to reach Danielle!

33A7D85F-9FB1-49AB-8271-9B23AC0088AF-12533-00000C6CB601812C.jpg

73B6B75B-92D4-4FA4-BF08-F9042E05EFB0-12533-00000C6C5C1B8EBE.jpg

Glad I made it through, having a car breakdown would've been really shifty!

Edited by truman
  • Like 1