Murfreesboro 2k13

- Got some hate for this yesterday too- but I am having a very hard time seeing BD NOT winning at this point… it just feels like all they have to do is cruise to the gold. The talent level they have is out of this world… if ANYone beats them it could be crown… but I mean… I’d gladly slap down a good chunk of my own money if anyone wanted to put a straight up 1:1 bet of BD wins or they don’t win. I really would. I mean no disrespect to you Cadets/Crown people—I love your shows too-

(snip)

- The GOO is getting louder… I think SCV was the only group not to over-do it IMO. Everyone else there’s just an ever present BLUHHHHHHHHHHH all the time. It sounds cool and feels cool… but what I freakin’ hate is how you can’t tell when you hear bass anymore how much of that bass is coming from the low brass and how much from the speakers… I’m thinking it may not be wise to put any more than 12 contras on the field anymore… put more guard members out there for the visual… the subs can easily make up the difference… for better or, as I feel, worse.

-

I'm in agreement with you on almost all levels, ain't that somethin'? Hahaha, I've been there since shooting photos of BD and Crown and SCV early season on the west coast, it's BD's to lose and, oddly enough, I think the only group to get 'em would be Cadets. That said, great on-the-spot reporting...the GOOOO is a bad thing for low brass and you're totally right 'bout SCV being the only corps not to overdo it. It's a dam shame, when you have 16 big horns out there with capable players behind 'em, that whomever is evaluating the total sound of the ensemble would make such poor decisions. Again, nice read, man...why not sign your name?

Thanks for the review...from a Fan Network perspective...an I only watche til the intermission...I think Cadets did not have a good performance (probably due to their harried schedule)...the boxes were crooked (out of line) several times (the worst being the starting position)..and the guard had some timing issues especially near the end...I just didn't feel the electricity they usually have....I was pulling for them, but pretty much figured it would end up as it did...

Great review! Thanks for sharing.

I love Crown's new ending, it keeps the essence of what they wanted originally but also gives us all just a little bit more!! Cadet's have the talent to win it all this year but even with all the changes the Adagio/Medea mash up is still a mess, especially compared to the rest of the show. Unless something drastic is done I can't see them winning with it currently. Blue Devils are really starting to come together and top to bottom it is such a coherent musical presentation, a very refreshing change for everyone that has complained about the chop-n-bop arrangements of recent years.

You can tell SCV is really starting to feel it and can easily catch fire. That show is missing like one big effect near the end to give it that extra push. They're a dark horse but could still make things very interesting!!

• Like 1

I love Crown's new ending, it keeps the essence of what they wanted originally but also gives us all just a little bit more!! Cadet's have the talent to win it all this year but even with all the changes the Adagio/Medea mash up is still a mess, especially compared to the rest of the show. Unless something drastic is done I can't see them winning with it currently. Blue Devils are really starting to come together and top to bottom it is such a coherent musical presentation, a very refreshing change for everyone that has complained about the chop-n-bop arrangements of recent years.

You can tell SCV is really starting to feel it and can easily catch fire. That show is missing like one big effect near the end to give it that extra push. They're a dark horse but could still make things very interesting!!

yea i agree about SCV! they literally brought me to tears.

As per GH FB, not a very good outing last night. Tempo issues with some of the new changes which just eats into the execution. Looking for improvement tonight/Atlanta. No excuses, just great expectations.

"...what I freakin’ hate is how you can’t tell when you hear bass anymore how much of that bass is coming from the low brass and how much from the speakers… I’m thinking it may not be wise to put any more than 12 contras on the field anymore… put more guard members out there for the visual… the subs can easily make up the difference…"

And this is why, in my opinion, this activity has completely lost any legitimacy as a music competition.

The GOO is getting louder… It sounds cool and feels cool…

I agree with the rest of your explanation about the goo, which explains why it doesn't sound or feel cool (and why when I first heard it in 2009--to my surprise, since I hadn't been following the rule changes--I thought: "what a cheat!"). It takes no talent or effort to boost the volume by moving a slider.