downingtown

Whoever was there, I want to hear your thoughts on MBI and bucs! Does MBI have a shot at winning title #2 in 3 years or will bucs win again?

Hey all, just got home and saw the scores.

I have no problem at all with Bucs winning the show, but that 1 point spread was way too much. The captions where I saw some serious shenanigans on the recap are brass (MBI was clearly several tenths better than Reading) and color guard (Bucs and MBI were a toss up, if not with MBI a tad better). MBI is, at most, tenths behind Bucs. They are the real deal, and it's a better program than the show they won with two years ago. MBI's show is *wildly* entertaining, while Bucs rely more on effect by achievement/excellence. Annapolis is going to be really interesting.

The judges also, once again, gave Cadets2 a bit if a raw deal. They aren't really more than two points or so behind MBI/Reading, and the crowd loved them.

• Like 1

Could very well end up that way.

I think Empire Statesmen and Cadets2 are also going to have a say in the proceedings.

Add in Atlanta CV and Fusion Core and you have a really strong "Top Seven"... in whatever order... based on the scores and head-to-head placements up to this point.

Then, five corps... Bushwackers, Sunrisers, Hurricanes, Carolina Gold and Kilties... again, in whatever order.... in the hunt for those three remaining Open Class finalist spots.

And Class A? Obviously, the White Sabers are off to a great start in the battle for a finalist spot. We'll find out in the weeks to come how the rest of the field stacks up. For starters, Cincinnati Tradition and Govenaires go head to head next Saturday in Racine... as will the two Florida corps and Shenandoah Sound in Inverness. And on Sunday, Excelsior, Windsor Regiment and Centurions are in the same show.

A lot of things can change in the next few weeks... but that's basically where we are right now, IMO.

• Like 1

Standings as of tonights show

88.30 Bucs

87.45 Minn,Brass

84.50 Cabs

83.90 Empire =Cadets2

79.60 Corps Vets

77.45 Fusion

77.40 Bush

74.40 Sunrisers

72.60 Hurcs

66.50 Kilties

Bucs,Sun,Corps Vets.have next week end off .

• Like 1

I wish DCA did something like the DCI Big Loud Live. I know they have the stream on the fan network, but it would be awesome to see all of these awesome shows on the big screen with huge sound systems.

Edited by Legoman
  • Like 1

A couple of non-Bucs/MBI/Cadets thoughts...

The White Sabers have what is likely their best corps ever, certainly the best I've seen from them by far. Their ballad arrangement of the Largo/Dancer in the Dark mash-up shouldn't work, but it does. It's a well designed, well performed program.

It was great to see the Sunrisers back on the field, and we all enjoyed their homage to 1984 Vanguard.

The Bushwhackers are really rejuvenated this year, with cool new (to them) unis and a design created for the right sized corps. While I still think they are better suited for Class A, it's the best Bush corps in several years, and they will max this show out at just the right time.

The Downingtown show just might be one of the better venues on the summer schedule. It's a good size stadium where you can see all the drill, but the field isn't a mile away. Parking is excellent, as is the field, seating, restrooms and concessions. The Ed Otto and the Downingtown High School Band equated themselves very well with the performance of the national anthem and the fall show's opener, despite only having about a third of the band there tonight. The Downingtown and Buccaneers staff that run the show did a fantastic job.

The crowd was huge, bigger than last year, and loved everything each corps did. It was also fun to see the DCP folks around too (we saw with Jeff and Christine Ream).

Lastly, it's super cool to stand on your driveway in the early afternoon and hear seven drum corps practicing in the distance.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

wow... that 80 for Dansville White Sabers looks totally fantastic.... congrats to everyone tonight - especially Dansville and Leslie Amico and hubby...

Standings as of tonights show

88.30 Bucs

87.45 Minn,Brass

84.50 Cabs

83.90 Empire =Cadets2

79.60 Corps Vets

77.45 Fusion

77.40 Bush

74.40 Sunrisers

72.60 Hurcs

66.50 Kilties

Bucs,Sun,Corps Vets.have next week end off .

The Downingtown show just might be one of the better venues on the summer schedule. It's a good size stadium where you can see all the drill, but the field isn't a mile away. Parking is excellent, as is the field, seating, restrooms and concessions. The Ed Otto and the Downingtown High School Band equated themselves very well with the performance of the national anthem and the fall show's opener, despite only having about a third of the band there tonight. The Downingtown and Buccaneers staff that run the show did a fantastic job.

The crowd was huge, bigger than last year, and loved everything each corps did. It was also fun to see the DCP folks around too (we saw with Jeff and Christine Ream).

Lastly, it's super cool to stand on your driveway in the early afternoon and hear seven drum corps practicing in the distance.

I love that DCA has come to Downingtown. When I was in high school, I marched DCA and was a member of Chester County Youth Orchestra. I found it curious that none of my fellow CCYO musicians knew anything about drum and bugle corps. Having a show there definitely will help drum corps stay alive in the area, especially with YEA expanding, the Bucs being so successful, and Sky coming back and centering themselves in the Poconos.

Edited by Legoman
  • Like 1

Hey all, just got home and saw the scores.

I have no problem at all with Bucs winning the show, but that 1 point spread was way too much. The captions where I saw some serious shenanigans on the recap are brass (MBI was clearly several tenths better than Reading) and color guard (Bucs and MBI were a toss up, if not with MBI a tad better). MBI is, at most, tenths behind Bucs. They are the real deal, and it's a better program than the show they won with two years ago. MBI's show is *wildly* entertaining, while Bucs rely more on effect by achievement/excellence. Annapolis is going to be really interesting.

The judges also, once again, gave Cadets2 a bit if a raw deal. They aren't really more than two points or so behind MBI/Reading, and the crowd loved them.

Shenanigans???????????

Clearly you may disagree with one or more of the judges, but to say you saw "Shenanigans" is a very strong statement that has an underlying meaning which might indicate colusion, a conspiracy or other agreements between the judges to influence the outcome... that is a VERY bad accusation that you can never prove and which I believe is NOT the case... I've seen some bad judging in my time but in over 50 years I only seen "Shenanigans" ONCE.... considering the hundreds of shows involved and the intensity of the activity, I believe "somebody" is doing a good job in overseeing the judging... not perfect but doesn't deserve the word Shenanigans

• Like 3