If BD Wins, We Riot!

After hearing the crowd response after the show yesterday, I feel like this needs to be posted. As the title suggests, if Blue Devils win the title this year, will some of you actually start riots? What about boycotting the activity? Is it really that much of an uproar that 150 kids doing what show they're taught beats another set of 150 kids, working just as hard all summer, doing the show they're taught? Just think, a lot of us clamor for the activity to grow, yet this is how react to the results? How do you think this looks to outsiders if that was their first ever awards ceremony?

If you were one of those who have ever booed the results at a DCI show, then I'd like to know why. In my opinion, it's totally acceptable to not agree with the results & talk about it afterwards, but it's completely disrespectful to the other kids out there to boo them & not even applaud their efforts. So, if you or somebody you know feel it's completely ok to boo the results & shout profanities (which were clearly heard last night), would you care to explain why this might be an ok reaction? What makes that more acceptable than golf claps or no reaction at all?

This might get closed, but if you have a legitimate reason why it's ok to act in that matter, then please feel free to explain. Maybe I'm just not geared to react that way.

Edit- This is not written for, nor intended for any personal attacks to occur. It's simply done to peacefully & respectfully hear another point of view.

Edited by loopin' froot loops
  • Like 7

After hearing the crowd response after the show yesterday, I feel like this needs to be posted. As the title suggests, if Blue Devils win the title this year, will some of you actually start riots? What about boycotting the activity? Is it really that much of an uproar that 150 kids doing what show they're taught beats another set of 150 kids, working just as hard all summer, doing the show they're taught? Just think, a lot of us clamor for the activity to grow, yet this is how react to the results? How do you think this looks to outsiders if that was their first ever awards ceremony?

If you were one of those who have ever booed the results at a DCI show, then I'd like to know why. In my opinion, it's totally acceptable to not agree with the results & talk about it afterwards, but it's completely disrespectful to the other kids out there to boo them & not even applaud their efforts. So, if you or somebody you know feel it's completely ok to boo the results & shout profanities (which were clearly heard last night), would you care to explain why this might be an ok reaction? What makes that more acceptable than golf claps or no reaction at all?

This might get closed, but if you have a legitimate reason why it's ok to act in that matter, then please enlighten me. Maybe I'm just too close minded to understand why that's ok.

There are already 3 threads within the past 6 months which discuss crowd reactions to scores, suitable responses, and the affect on performers when corps/scores are booed. Please do your research.

This is the third Atlanta regional where the winner has been booed, if I remember correctly.

If the judges just don't get it, will we have DCI's version of Santa Clara's 2013 show????

• Like 4

Start rioting! I would give BD a 75 % chance of winning Crown 15% and Cadets 10%. You have a judging community that are no more than a bunch of puppets.

a la BD 2006

• Like 1

Yes it's disrespectful to boo. If I was there and felt that the cadets or crown had a much better show than BD (and I will be at Allentown where I'm expecting the same thing to end up happening), I wouldn't boo but I wouldn't clap either. People handle things differently and everyone is allowed an opinion whether it's respectful or disrespectful.

Sorry, but your post is too sanctimonious.

I personally have never booed, but I have shaken my head on a number of occasions. An entire generation (I'm talking to you Millennials) was brought up under a sissy system that everyone was a winner: "C'mon. Don't say bad things about nobody...everyone tried the same and had fun, so let's give everyone a trophy."

This is a competitive activity comprised of young adults--many of whom are going to be entering "real life" soon enough and they're learning some of the most valuable life lessons right now. They are NOT all winners and drum corps is a competitive activity with scores and winners and losers and stuff. They have staff who yell at them and make them run laps. Expectations are put on them and guys in green shirts and khaki pants tell them they did good or did bad.

Booing isn't the end of the world and it's not gonna hurt these young people. If it does, then they need to be booed more. Welcome to life.

Sorry for sounding crotchety, but this "everyone's a winner and don't hurt their feelings" sentiment is for the birds.

Granny,

Were you spending time looking at Michael Boo's and Dan A's photos of China? The Birds were last year's Blue Knights show. That's so 2012!

Edited by drilltech1

I think DCI crowds are educated enough and classy enough to not boo. Agree that kids should be tough enough to not let it really bother them, but I expect booing at NASCAR or football, not drum corps.

I also don't think the world will end if BD wins. This exact same argument comes up every time a show that not everyone loves is a contender for the title. People will still love the shows they do and not care for the ones they don't regardless of who wins.

No big whoop!

• Like 1