If BD Wins, We Riot!

Sorry, but your post is too sanctimonious.

I personally have never booed, but I have shaken my head on a number of occasions. An entire generation (I'm talking to you Millennials) was brought up under a sissy system that everyone was a winner: "C'mon. Don't say bad things about nobody...everyone tried the same and had fun, so let's give everyone a trophy."

This is a competitive activity comprised of young adults--many of whom are going to be entering "real life" soon enough and they're learning some of the most valuable life lessons right now. They are NOT all winners and drum corps is a competitive activity with scores and winners and losers and stuff. They have staff who yell at them and make them run laps. Expectations are put on them and guys in green shirts and khaki pants tell them they did good or did bad.

Booing isn't the end of the world and it's not gonna hurt these young people. If it does, then they need to be booed more. Welcome to life.

Sorry for sounding crotchety, but this "everyone's a winner and don't hurt their feelings" sentiment is for the birds.

Granny Smith for president!!! Or queen!!! Or whatever she wants!!! :thumbup:

• Like 5

Sorry for sounding crotchety, but this "everyone's a winner and don't hurt their feelings" sentiment is for the birds.

Another reason why I feel America is slowly decaying from within.

• Like 3

Another reason why I feel America is slowly decaying from within.

Unlike you, Granny had an explanation to her reasoning. Care to elaborate?

:doh:/>

Sorry, but your post is too sanctimonious.

I personally have never booed, but I have shaken my head on a number of occasions. An entire generation (I'm talking to you Millennials) was brought up under a sissy system that everyone was a winner: "C'mon. Don't say bad things about nobody...everyone tried the same and had fun, so let's give everyone a trophy."

This is a competitive activity comprised of young adults--many of whom are going to be entering "real life" soon enough and they're learning some of the most valuable life lessons right now. They are NOT all winners and drum corps is a competitive activity with scores and winners and losers and stuff. They have staff who yell at them and make them run laps. Expectations are put on them and guys in green shirts and khaki pants tell them they did good or did bad.

Booing isn't the end of the world and it's not gonna hurt these young people. If it does, then they need to be booed more. Welcome to life.

Granny...love this comment!! The problem is it's become the way of the world nowadays, which is ########. Every CAN'T be a winner, that's why they have winners and losers. To me, losing just makes me work that much harder if I want to win.

Kind of off topic but just yesterday my mother-in-law wanted to celebrate my 8yr old daughters "half birthday" she made cupcakes with candles and wanted to sing HB to her...I said absolutley not! if we start doing this that makes her real birthday diminshed. but this is bascially the same this as you are saying "everyone's a winner" Umm, NO, they are NOT! :doh:/>

• Like 3

I haven't boo'd (yet), but to the OP - what other avenue is there for fans to express their displeasure with the product they are paying to see?

Email/erite specific corps? - that won't do anything so long as shows people don't like keep being awarded.

Stop going to shows? - that hurts the activity and the kids

Complain on DCP? - get out personal frustrations and may make an individual feel better, but does nothing to change the activity

The adults that run these corps aren't idiots. I bet its pretty safe to assume the BD's staff knows the audiences don't really like their recent shows compared to others.. so they have a decision to make - create a product that makes people jump out of their seats, or make a product that gets golf claps but wins. If these people are really as smart as we seem to think they are, shouldn't they be able to craft a show that accomplishes both?

If they/we think the boos are harmful to the kids, they maybe they should understand that and not put their kids in that type of situation, since they know for the most part what type of reaction their designs will get.

• Like 4

If we're the generation that's singlehandedly destroying America, what does that say about you, the generation that instilled our values in us?

It makes the generation who raised you foolish. Well meaning, but foolish.

• Like 4

:doh:/>/>

Granny...love this comment!! The problem is it's become the way of the world nowadays, which is ########. Every CAN'T be a winner, that's why they have winners and losers. To me, losing just makes me work that much harder if I want to win.

Kind of off topic but just yesterday my mother-in-law wanted to celebrate my 8yr old daughters "half birthday" she made cupcakes with candles and wanted to sing HB to her...I said absolutley not! if we start doing this that makes her real birthday diminshed. but this is bascially the same this as you are saying "everyone's a winner" Umm, NO, they are NOT! :doh:/>/>

In some cultures, some of whom are more recent to the U.S. than previous arrivals, half-birthdays are celebrated but in a different way. It goes back to an infant mortality thing. Hope you and the in-laws can figure it out.

But let's go back to the topic. How to handle it if the judges award the gold to BD AGAIN and the crowd feels otherwise (Crown, Cadets, SCV, etc.)