If BD Wins, We Riot!

After hearing the crowd response after the show yesterday, I feel like this needs to be posted. As the title suggests, if Blue Devils win the title this year, will some of you actually start riots? What about boycotting the activity? Is it really that much of an uproar that 150 kids doing what show they're taught beats another set of 150 kids, working just as hard all summer, doing the show they're taught? Just think, a lot of us clamor for the activity to grow, yet this is how react to the results? How do you think this looks to outsiders if that was their first ever awards ceremony?

If you were one of those who have ever booed the results at a DCI show, then I'd like to know why. In my opinion, it's totally acceptable to not agree with the results & talk about it afterwards, but it's completely disrespectful to the other kids out there to boo them & not even applaud their efforts. So, if you or somebody you know feel it's completely ok to boo the results & shout profanities (which were clearly heard last night), would you care to explain why this might be an ok reaction? What makes that more acceptable than golf claps or no reaction at all?

This might get closed, but if you have a legitimate reason why it's ok to act in that matter, then please feel free to explain. Maybe I'm just not geared to react that way.

Edit- This is not written for, nor intended for any personal attacks to occur. It's simply done to peacefully & respectfully hear another point of view.

Fans booing at the scores/placements has been happening since at least the 1950's. Good or bad...right or wrong...it is part of the activity.

PS I agree with what Granny said on page 1 :)

OMG, how horrible.

So when the judges give Cadets a lower score than both Crown and BD, they are telling the Cadet members that they do not deserve to be either 1st or 2nd. That is even more cruel to the kids. And they are even more cruel to SCV, and PR, and - oh, how can you stand it?

Which has zero to do with a person booing.

OMG, how horrible.

So when the judges give Cadets a lower score than both Crown and BD, they are telling the Cadet members that they do not deserve to be either 1st or 2nd. That is even more cruel to the kids. And they are even more cruel to SCV, and PR, and - oh, how can you stand it?

Don't forget, if you cheer any less loud for any corps that is an insult as well! When you give [insert corps] a standing O mid show that is an insult to other corps!

Its so stressful for us as fans now.

I don't care what you or anyone else likes or doesn't like, that is NOT the issue. I am referring to the verbal reaction of those who decide that they can't control themselves and must act as I described, booing young amateur musicians and guard members who are striving to perform their show to the best of their abilities. If you don't like it..fine...don't applaud or cheer.

Oh ok, I thought that you were referring to DCP'ers here that find BD's show unappealing for one reason or another as " whiners ". If you are referring to those that booed BD's win in Atlanta as " whiners ", thats cool and all.

I think there is a distinction to be made from the audience response immediately after BD finishes their show ( lukewarm at best ) and that of the few people that decided to boo the scores later at retreat. The stands seemed packed when BD performed, but after they got mostly golf claps, most fans ran to the exits at the completion of the show. People arn't staying for the scores and placements like they used too... possibly because the placements really don't change much year over end. But who knows. In any event, that leaves the hard core fans behind that are fixated on the scores and the placements at this July Regional. So when the scores were announced one did hear the audible frustration with the judges with the announcement that BD won. Booing is rude, but what are you going to do ? I'd pay it no mind. Telling rude people not to boo is like telling a duck not to quack. Don't waste your time on it. Its futile.

Edited by BRASSO

So many topics catching my eye this year... I've been lurking forever but always on tour haha.

BD made me a fan in 1997 against my will with their amazing PQ (it's a technical term, you wouldn't understand ;). Since then its been hit & miss, but that's the nature of art.

I need to re-iterate my BD hostility by saying generally i don'tt like them but I cannot deny their amazing structure and execution top to bottom. That ORG is tight.

That being said, here are my thoughts on This year's BD production. One of maybe 3 in the last 15 years of being a captive observer that I think they NAILED.

Stravinsky broke all the rules. So does BD. Amazing arranging by the designers and a solid visual component.

I'm programmed to love Crown and I do. But for me the voices in the show are a deal breaker. The rest is perfect.

Cadets I like, but they seem to lack the whateverittakes to beat the previous two. If they get 'Cadets Clean' they could take it.

Watch out for Vanguard. They are extremely dangerous. Love the effect with the hidden brass playing fortissimo near the end of the show. Nothing but class (it is the most brisk version of Les Mis and perhaps the most 'upbeat' sounding I've ever heard, borderline "in a hurry" to me, but I get over it when I'm soaked with the absolutely CLASS this corps has in it's production.

Love the top groups this year but I derive large amounts of physical pain from hearing harmonized rhythmic counting over the best brass sound in DCI. Keep it up you guys, this is a race to the finish, and its ttthe corps with 2 more gears left that's going to take the title!

Always a fan,

Edited by Rance Costa

BD breaks the rules?

Talk to me when BD actually gets penalized because they break the rules and keep doing it, even at semis (and finals). Even if it means missing finals.

So many topics catching my eye this year... I've been lurking forever but always on tour haha.

BD made me a fan in 1997 against my will with their amazing PQ (it's a technical term, you wouldn't understand ;). Since then its been hit & miss, but that's the nature of art.

I need to re-iterate my BD hostility by saying generally i don'tt like them but I cannot deny their amazing structure and execution top to bottom. That ORG is tight.

That being said, here are my thoughts on This year's BD production. One of maybe 3 in the last 15 years of being a captive observer that I think they NAILED.

Stravinsky broke all the rules. So does BD. Amazing arranging by the designers and a solid visual component.

I'm programmed to love Crown and I do. But for me the voices in the show are a deal breaker. The rest is perfect.

Cadets I like, but they seem to lack the whateverittakes to beat the previous two. If they get 'Cadets Clean' they could take it.

Watch out for Vanguard. They are extremely dangerous. Love the effect with the hidden brass playing fortissimo near the end of the show. Nothing but class (it is the most brisk version of Les Mis and perhaps the most 'upbeat' sounding I've ever heard, borderline "in a hurry" to me, but I get over it when I'm soaked with the absolutely CLASS this corps has in it's production.

Love the top groups this year but I derive large amounts of physical pain from hearing harmonized rhythmic counting over the best brass sound in DCI. Keep it up you guys, this is a race to the finish, and its ttthe corps with 2 more gears left that's going to take the title!

Always a fan,

Nice post. Don't be a perennial lurker. Come into the parlor, pull up a chair and tell us what you think more often.

Edited by BRASSO

Oh ok, I thought that you ere referring to DCP'ers here that find BD's show unappealing for one reason or another as " whiners ". If you are referring to those that booed BD's win in Atlanta as " whiners ", thats cool and all.

Yes, I am only referring to those who are booing.

I think there is a distinction to be made from the audience response immediately after BD finishes their show ( lukewarm at best ) and that of the few people that decided to boo the scores later at retreat. The stands seemed packed when BD performed, but after they got mostlly golf claps, most fans ran to the exits. People arn't staying for the scores and placements like they used too... possibly because the placements really don't change much year over end. But who knows. In any event, that leaves the hard core fans behind that are fixated on the scores and the placements at this July Regional. So when the scores were announced one did hear the audible frustration witn the judges with the announcement that BD won.

IMO a lot of the running for the exits as opposed to staying through retreat long ago is the ability to find out the scores on the web within minutes of their announcement, esp with iPhones and the like. You don't even have to wait until you get home anymore.

I never stay for scores, for that very reason. And...I really don't care who places where. Sure, as a Cadet alum I'd like to see them win, as long as I think they deserved to, but it has been rare that their show has been my own favorite in a given year, actually. 2011 is the most recent, and before that I have to go back to 1997 before they had my very favorite show, though I have liked many...2005 and 2007 especially.

Example of not caring about placement in my enjoyment...2012...I LOVED BK's show...one of my favorites of this century. I don't care where they placed...I just loved their show and performances I saw. In 2005 I really liked PR and the Scouts the best as two more.

Booing is rude, but what are you going to do ?

Oh, nobody can really do anything about those who choose to boo. They are exhibiting boorish behavior in doing so, but they certainly can do that if they so choose. Some people are just boorish and insensitive.

IMO a lot of the running for the exits as opposed to staying through retreat long ago is the ability to find out the scores on the web within minutes of their announcement, esp with iPhones and the like. You don't even have to wait until you get home anymore.

Yes, thats no doubt a factor. I agree.

Yes, thats no doubt a factor. I agree.

Also, retreats are no longer part of the show, so there is no spectacle to announcing scores. Personally, I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing...just as a 'thing'.