If BD Wins, We Riot!

I guess I did. What years are you referring to? Madison has always been popular from what I remember.

06-09

When a person is booing the placement of Crown in 2nd place, he/she is telling the BD members that they do not deserve their victory, no matter how well they performed.

Actually the optimist in me just sees it as saying he/she is telling CC members they deserved to win. But if you insist on looking at it that way...

...wouldn't it then be wrong to cheer when BD wins, because you are telling all the other corps they don't deserve to win? The only difference I see in is in one case your opinion agrees with the judges and in the other it does not.

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 2

The BD hate is getting absurd. They have a fantastic show this year and they are performing it wonderfully. It isn't my favorite, but I think it is probably the best. Why shouldn't they be rewarded for their excellence? I would love nothing more than to see Crown win this year ... but they will have to improve their show to do it. They clearly peaked too early and need to make some changes if they want to get back on top. The Cadets and SCV have my two favorite shows this year, but they are clearly less clean than BD.

Why would anyone boo the judges for rewarding the best corps on the field? That makes absolutely no sense at all and it is extremely disrespectful to the hundreds of people who have worked their butts off to accomplish what they have. Your own subjective preference doesn't justify such immature behavior.

• Like 2

Entertaining the masses is like educating to the most common denominator. Yes there is mass appeal but what are we really achieving? Pushing the audience in new directions, that's a whole other level of effect.

well, yes and no.

Ya see...drum corps is an educational endeavour yes. It's also entertainment.

yes, for everything said about it being for the kids, I agree 1000000%. But....if you dont have fans, or unhappy ones, it's bad business. Think of sports....if the Patriots or Yankees win it all, fans everywhere will be ###### as they hate them. Well, with BD's recent streak of shows and wins, it's the same thing. People feel the Yankees buy their titles, and the Pats cheat. Well many fans think BD's shows are boring.

so, DCI, in their continued push to be innovative let's BD or other like shows go. But there's also the business side. You want happy fans. Fans want to see a winner they like. And since 08, you've had two of those ( i didnt count 07 as finals was in Cali...it was no contest BD would be loved over a very controversial Cadets show and directors behavior).

So.....artists do what artists want. However, if it affects business, they should pay some attention or be broke. Given how the whole G7 thing is about money....maybe they should look in the mirror a little. What turned fans off?

in the real entertainment world, executives often step in and insert their will on the product, except for that rare artist or show that can do as it wants and make tons of money. Well, in DCI's case, they are letting the corps go on with these shows that are polarizing to many, and that's it. But it IS affecting business. But since the BOD all have stake in the game and results, do they care? Maybe some.

but until DCI has a BOD that isn't run by people trying to beat each other, you'll not see any serious change. Cesario talked a good game about the change, and it got fans hyped up. Funny thing is, the change was taken to heart....by many corps not in contention for the gold.

• Like 1

Fans booing at the scores/placements has been happening since at least the 1950's. Good or bad...right or wrong...it is part of the activity.

PS I agree with what Granny said on page 1 :)

how true. Remember Madison in the 90's? Every night, score announced, crowd would boo.

but, no one #####ed then

How about 2002 as well?

oh yeah....i blocked that from my memory

:tongue:/>

well, yes and no.

Ya see...drum corps is an educational endeavour yes. It's also entertainment.

yes, for everything said about it being for the kids, I agree 1000000%. But....if you dont have fans, or unhappy ones, it's bad business. Think of sports....if the Patriots or Yankees win it all, fans everywhere will be ###### as they hate them. Well, with BD's recent streak of shows and wins, it's the same thing. People feel the Yankees buy their titles, and the Pats cheat. Well many fans think BD's shows are boring.

so, DCI, in their continued push to be innovative let's BD or other like shows go. But there's also the business side. You want happy fans. Fans want to see a winner they like. And since 08, you've had two of those ( i didnt count 07 as finals was in Cali...it was no contest BD would be loved over a very controversial Cadets show and directors behavior).

So.....artists do what artists want. However, if it affects business, they should pay some attention or be broke. Given how the whole G7 thing is about money....maybe they should look in the mirror a little. What turned fans off?

in the real entertainment world, executives often step in and insert their will on the product, except for that rare artist or show that can do as it wants and make tons of money. Well, in DCI's case, they are letting the corps go on with these shows that are polarizing to many, and that's it. But it IS affecting business. But since the BOD all have stake in the game and results, do they care? Maybe some.

but until DCI has a BOD that isn't run by people trying to beat each other, you'll not see any serious change. Cesario talked a good game about the change, and it got fans hyped up. Funny thing is, the change was taken to heart....by many corps not in contention for the gold.

I think for a lot of drum corps fans it's more than BD being boring. You can make an argument for a lot of Cadets shows being boring, but they've never been vilified the same way BD has been. The difference, IMHO, is that BD shows sometimes feel highly calculated, formulaic, and soulless. I know. I know. They're tremendous innovators. But there's something that feels really perfunctory and manipulative about many of their recent shows.

• Like 1

I disagree. Almost every show out there is highly calculated and formulaic. Soulless is very objective, and I completely disagree with that too. Almost every show out there is manipulative and perfunctory, especially some of the favorites on this board. They all do what they think works, often the same show every year.

• Like 2

If BD wins I will be celebrating. I get that the crowd is not going bananas for BD, but that is not the purpose of BD's show. Crown's show is not so crowd friendly either. I was at Stanford this year and they received a very modest crowd reaction, about the same as BD actually. The only reason people are screaming for Crown (besides the fact they are in the east at the moment) is because they have the best shot at beating BD. If people really wanted the corps with the best fan appeal to win they would be rooting for SCV to make a big move! (which I personally would love) I think Crown is so boring, and I hope they get 4th, but if they win so be it. I know they are technically very good so may the best corps on Finals night win. GO BD or SCV West Coast!

• Like 6