If BD Wins, We Riot!

Boo this...

Complain about your little experience in the stands... I mean after all... You should get what you want, when you want it right? There is NEVER anything subtle or positive going on behind the scenes... The only actual HUMANS in Drum Corps are the MM's of the corps that are NOT BD... So who cares what the MM's in BD think and feel? Well I do! I mean read it for yourself!

(From the BD Alum (Closed FB Page)

XXX XXXX just wrote a meaningful post with regard to the impact that the Blue Devils' performance ethic and acumen have on fans that we may, or may not, ever know about. With that thought in mind, I thought I'd share this story, of which I believe most of you may have never heard.

In 1994, the Corps was approached by the parents of a young, 14 year-old trombone player from Hopkinsville, Kentucky. He was an avid Blue Devils fan, but tragically lost his life in a car accident, far too young. In response, his parents, who knew of his "significant" adoration for the Blue Devils, buried him in his Blue Devils Hornline T-Shirt.

Additionally, they sent a picture of Ryan (Ryan XXXXXXX XXXX was his name) to Dave Gibbs, and simply asked that his picture be carried onto the field during Finals retreat by a member of the Corps. To my great honor, Dave asked me to do so during a Corps meeting just prior to leaving Mars for tour that year. I believed, and the Baritone line that year agreed, that we were "obligated" to live up to Ryan's memory and expectations, and carry his picture on the field with us during every performance that season. Eventually, we decided to keep up the tradition for several years, in honor of the "fans" who's voices we may not hear, but are ever present and speak to the value others place in our performance and its perceived impact.

I had the honor of carrying Ryan's picture onto the field, tucked away in my uniform, during every performance, retreat, and victory concert during the 1994-1995 seasons, until I aged out. Following that, his picture was passed on to the stellar Blue Devil Baritone/Euphonium players who followed me. Although I've personally lost track of this tradition, I'm absolutely certain that the Corps' absolute dedication to performance excellence, and the meaningfulness extracted by both the fans we know and don't know, continues to this very day - and will into the far future.

Sorry about being a little wordy, but glad to share the memory.

Redacted so that people will not be embarrassed...

• Like 7

Boo this...

Complain about your little experience in the stands... I mean after all... You should get what you want, when you want it right? There is NEVER anything subtle or positive going on behind the scenes... The only actual HUMANS in Drum Corps are the MM's of the corps that are NOT BD... So who cares what the MM's in BD think and feel? Well I do! I mean read it for yourself!

(From the BD Alum (Closed FB Page)

XXX XXXX just wrote a meaningful post with regard to the impact that the Blue Devils' performance ethic and acumen have on fans that we may, or may not, ever know about. With that thought in mind, I thought I'd share this story, of which I believe most of you may have never heard.

In 1994, the Corps was approached by the parents of a young, 14 year-old trombone player from Hopkinsville, Kentucky. He was an avid Blue Devils fan, but tragically lost his life in a car accident, far too young. In response, his parents, who knew of his "significant" adoration for the Blue Devils, buried him in his Blue Devils Hornline T-Shirt.

Additionally, they sent a picture of Ryan (Ryan XXXXXXX XXXX was his name) to Dave Gibbs, and simply asked that his picture be carried onto the field during Finals retreat by a member of the Corps. To my great honor, Dave asked me to do so during a Corps meeting just prior to leaving Mars for tour that year. I believed, and the Baritone line that year agreed, that we were "obligated" to live up to Ryan's memory and expectations, and carry his picture on the field with us during every performance that season. Eventually, we decided to keep up the tradition for several years, in honor of the "fans" who's voices we may not hear, but are ever present and speak to the value others place in our performance and its perceived impact.

I had the honor of carrying Ryan's picture onto the field, tucked away in my uniform, during every performance, retreat, and victory concert during the 1994-1995 seasons, until I aged out. Following that, his picture was passed on to the stellar Blue Devil Baritone/Euphonium players who followed me. Although I've personally lost track of this tradition, I'm absolutely certain that the Corps' absolute dedication to performance excellence, and the meaningfulness extracted by both the fans we know and don't know, continues to this very day - and will into the far future.

Sorry about being a little wordy, but glad to share the memory.

Redacted so that people will not be embarrassed...

What a wonderful story. Michael Boo tells a similar story of BD's directors thinking of him in a time of need. I'm richer for knowing about this.

you're a consumer right? So if you only like part of something, do you pay top $$ to see all of it?

Most people don't. And that's an issue staring drum corps in general in the face and biting it's ###.

There arent enough recent alumni and band kids sticking around to replace the diehards with years vested in the game as they fade off. When I get an email from DCI saying "Mr. Ream, you used to give us a lot of money for Friends and multiple shows....and now you don't....can you tell us why?"

I did. I know other that have. I know the last time I went to finals with Friends, over 50% of the faces we started with were no longer attending. When I nosed around in 2010, I saw 10 faces left in that crowd. That's sad.

but until DCI gets a board that isn't focused on power plays, seccession and creating art, it'll just keep perpetuating itself.....to fewer people.

well if you believe this ..and Its clear you do....you actually think everyone loved everyone bitd? thats a no....you actually think the " MAJORITY" loved every corps?..youre kidding right !!!!!

You are right about one thing older fans are dropping fast...well thats no news flash..thats life it happens in every thing..the problem is keeping some newer fans and trying to maintain some of the older but you seem to not recognize that just maybe the activity doesnt attract kids, especially to stay as it once did.

Its a different world now and kids like we were bitd hung around more for sure. We also had alot less available to us in order to move on and life may have been just a bit simpler...just a thought... :smile:/>

Also I have an Uncle who marched in the 50s and 60s and he insists this didnt just happen , it happened in the 70s when hundreds toook the exit from drum corps......Just ones perspective I guess

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

It seems like one of the key pillars of the supporters' argument is that BD's show is true art and "of course the masses don't understand it" which is why it's so amazing! It's because people are in such deep thought, pondering the layers of beauty that they forget to clap.

And yet these same supporters routinely dismiss the notion that the majority of people don't enjoy their show.

• Like 4

It seems like one of the key pillars of the supporters' argument is that BD's show is true art and "of course the masses don't understand it" which is why it's so amazing! It's because people are in such deep thought, pondering the layers of beauty that they forget to clap.

And yet these same supporters routinely dismiss the notion that the majority of people don't enjoy their show.

who was it who said " keep them talking" Good or bad because if they are still taklking youre still revelent...........what other corps has pages and pages year after year of negative..lol........oh yeah Cadets...lol

Bullcrap. You have no idea what "the majority" thinks anymore than I do. Anyone who presumes to speak for "the majority" is deluded at best, or ignorant at worst. Frankly, I don't care if you enjoy BD's show or not. The beauty of drum corps is in the variety. There's probably three or four shows this year that I don't enjoy, but they are more than offset by the 16 or so I really do like (including the entirety of the top four for the first time in years).

• Like 2

Bullcrap. You have no idea what "the majority" thinks anymore than I do. Anyone who presumes to speak for "the majority" is deluded at best, or ignorant at worst. Frankly, I don't care if you enjoy BD's show or not. The beauty of drum corps is in the variety. There's probably three or four shows this year that I don't enjoy, but they are more than offset by the 16 or so I really do like (including the entirety of the top four for the first time in years).

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Clearly you missed my point, but made it for me at the same time.

• Like 5

This is delusional thinking. It happens as the years go on and our capacities wain. It's ok Granny... Have a nice warm cup o milk and head off to bed sweety!

• Like 3

I didn't miss it at all. You're turning into my grandma. She was a nice little old lady who, the older she got, the meaner she got. There's a reason all her grand-kids dreaded the mandatory Sunday visits to the home.

• Like 2