If BD Wins, We Riot!

**Yawn**

So to sum up:

1. Blue Devils get favored treatment from the judges and they're a bunch of cheaters (and were apparently so in San Antonio too)

2. If they only did the same shows they did 20 years ago people would like them a lot more.

3. They're losing sleep because people are cheering for other corps to win instead of them.

This post could have been made every year for the last (fill in the blank) number of years. Maybe they've just figured it out. Oh, and the gap will widen in Indy.

Keep your riots to yourself.

You mean the gap from tonight in Salem? tongue.gifpoke.gif

You don't like that BD show from 20 years ago? silly.gif

• Like 1

You're right. Totally don't know what I'm talking about. From Wikipedia: "The demonstrations, he says, grew into "a terrific uproar" which, along with the on-stage noises, drowned out the voice of Nijinsky who was shouting the step numbers to the dancers.[56]

Dancers in Nicholas Roerich's original costumes. From left, Julitska, Marie Rambert, Jejerska, Boni, Boniecka, Faithful

Monteux believed that the trouble began when the two factions in the audience began attacking each other, but their mutual anger was soon diverted towards the orchestra: "Everything available was tossed in our direction, but we continued to play on". "

You quoted Wikipedia, it MUST be true!

No, an argument for clarity. Clarity is to be prized, and it is difficult to attain. It's why writing a short letter is more difficult than writing a long one.

Clarity is not shallow. Communication that is clear is deeply refined. Audiences -- either the one person reading your letter, or the 10,000 people in the stands -- want it, and will reward it. Not because they are simpletons, but because you (the perfromer(s)) will have succeeded making a connection with the other. Which is the whole point of communication.

There is place and time for clarity and a place and time for subtlety, nuance, and deeper meaning. Usually art (especially music) falls into the nuance and subtlety category (at least good art/music). There is nothing wrong with nuance.

Most of Wikipedia is now sourced, and articles that aren't are clearly marked. The Wiki admin and mod teams have done a fantastic job, to the point that many educational institutions have changed their policy towards the site, particularly when it comes to sourced content.

Not my graduate school. Wikipedia is a definite No no. Use the authoritative source instead of Wikipedia, then no one will have a problem...

blaming WGI as a whole is just as stupid as blaming DCI solely for why hundreds of corps folded.

if there is blame, it's the designers. They know how to max out the sheets, regardless of the circuit.

I still contend that if GE scores reflected an even balance of all of the triad of effect, you'd see change. But if you dabble in 2/3, but weight things heavily on the intellectual, you get big scores.

Why are we blaming anyone? I think what they are doing is wonderful.

Not my graduate school. Wikipedia is a definite No no. Use the authoritative source instead of Wikipedia, then no one will have a problem...

I have a hard cover book entitled Ballet in Color written by Craig Dodd and published by Octopus. Page 35 chapter title is Diaghilev (Sergei Diaghilev : )

has it survived? How many corps were there in 1990, and how many today? How many shows ran then vs today. How many went to shows then vs. today?

it's still here...and yeah technically it's survived. What it hasn't done is thrived.

Are you suggesting that DCI has gotten smaller because of show designs? Should we go back to the days of symmetrical drill, high mark times, and marching timpanis? That was when drum corps was at its biggest, right? That would certainly take a lot of the "art" out of the activity, which I'm sure you would appreciate.

See how stupid I am? See here, all along, through observing my son grow and change, I thought the purpose of drum corps was to educate, promote the growth of its members and to encourage excellence.

Not according the recent field pass or theater broadcast I heard this season.... Apparently the members now go to each corps already educated...

Just sayin'...

if you like, I'll type in bigger letters.......

DCI is first and foremost a business. From the paying fans viewpoint, it's entertainment. Yes entertainment can wildly vary. But for 6 years now, there has been, with one corps in particular, but even with other corps, angst over what is considered entertaining. So for every successful artist out there, there are thousands of artists not making a dime.

so DCI, which is the corps, need to decide...are they art, or entertainment?

I can tell you which one will keep making money.

Complete nonsense. It is first and foremost a NON-PROFIT EDUCATIONAL institution. DCI is not in the business of making money. Making money is a secondary necessity. The educational experience should always come first. Putting money first defeats the entire purpose.

Edited by jasgre2000

The "purpose" of corps to members is much different than the purpose of DCI to the fans. Your son (and me, and many others) could have grown and be excellent without ever performing in front of a paying crowd. It's not "big brother" where we are paying to get a glimpse into their educational experience from behind a two way mirror - they are mastering a show to compete at the highest levels for paying fans that want to be entertained. So yes, DCI's purpose is to sell the activity to make money to help out in funding your son's life-changing benefits as a member.

Why do the Girl Scouts sell cookies? Do they sell cookies that a large portion of the public doesn't like (and therefore wouldn't sell well)? They may try a new flavor here and there, but they need to consider its popularity and how much it sells.

Wrong again. The purpose of DCI as an organization is first and foremost to the marchers. Putting the educational aspects of DCI second to anything defeats everything.