If BD Wins, We Riot!

You wrote, "...I know from very personal experience that indeed the BD MM's think nothing of this nonsense."

How many former or current BD MM's do you speak for?

I speak for me. After all I think I said very personal experience...that sort of is a clue that I'm speaking for myself. .....and how could that possibly matter? If you trust me...you'll accept my point....if you don't...you won't. It's up to you.

• Like 1

Just like your previously mis-targeted post. You and others need to understand that this is NOT about BD at all......it's about those that feel disenfranchised by outcomes that differ from their personal taste and how they process those outcomes. B3 is animated, I've been there, but I have long realized that most of you on DCP (with similar dislikes) are comfortable in your collective misery. Your bluster changes nothing, least of all the scores, and drum corps will re-emerge in 2014 with the same hope and quality it has always had from the beginning.

So you think Hopkin's changing the Cadets to more fan-friendly shows recently had nothing to do with the fan reactions to their late 2000's shows?

You say condescend...I say respond....I certainly am not sending it that...you may have receiver problems. I'm fairly convinced that you will always be comfortable with insulting a corps you don't like and schmoozing those you do. I literally don't dislike any corps.....why? What's the need or value to it? What do you get out of it? They are performers who are doing their best, all of them....what kind of rationale do you use to do that? It makes no sense.

I would quibble a bit. I don't hold any malicious feelings towards a particular corps or its members. My contention is with the actual show, and to a larger degree the pattern that the Blue Devils have set over the past several years. Drum Corps is entertainment for me and I am perfectly justified in giving any given show a thumbs up or thumbs down. You give BD's show a thumbs up and I give it a thumbs down.

I have not only written on this forum but have also engaged in an email exchange with D. Gibbs about my thoughts. I have let him know that I think they have failed in the second part of their own mission, which is:

"To provide enjoyment for our local community and audiences worldwide."

By the way...even DCP is entertainment for me. I do struggle with dementia but not to the point that I delude myself into believing that I'm changing the world. I wake up, take my medications, eat a grapefruit, take some more meds and open DCP to see what others are saying. I like a good debate and find it helps me stay lucid and engaged in an activity that most people in the world don't know exists.

There is a lot of truth to the fact that some people just don't like BD or care for their shows as of late but honestly, Crowns show this year is very BDisk. They are pulling many of the stunts that people hated on BD for pulling. People can boo if they want to but it just shows how classless they are and that they do not recognize or appreciate talent. For while I'm not a huge fan of BD this year or the last couple years, they are still one of the most talented and well executing corps in the world. You don't have to like them but you need to learn to respect them.

Side note...that crown show looks just like and sounds just like a BD show. Of course with some Crown flair but concept would be right in BD's wheel house right now.

So should we get rid of symphonies too ... or should Symphonies just all start playing pops? I don't get your point at all.

As has been stated (and should be too obvious to even be questioned), money is an important aspect of DCI. DCI needs financial support to facilitate its educational mission. That doesn't make the mission money (or your entertainment). DCI is a non-profit organization. They are not in the business of making a profit by entertaining fans. The shows are the fundraisers that allow the educational mission to be accomplished. Dumbing down the shows by taking out the "art" and playing to the lowest common denominator defeats the entire purpose of the activity, which is not to provide you with entertainment.

and if fans aren't entertained and stop coming...and they have....they keep losing money.

remember that whole G7 thing? It's because they aren't making money

Side note...that crown show looks just like and sounds just like a BD show. Of course with some Crown flair but concept would be right in BD's wheel house right now.

I actually have to agree with this to some degree. I think some of the gimmicks (for lack of a better word) are straight from BD's playbook; however, their brass book is WAY easier "to engage" than anything BD has put on the field recently. That's probably why people are "winking" at some of what Crown is doing.

This is literally like talking to a teenager about sex. I was responding to your question about "processing" and that somehow it's not my affair. Apparently you think that anyone who is a fan of BD should just put their face through the hole in the "DCP pie toss" and suck that B.S. up. And make no mistake....it's B.S. I don't have a problem with ANY CORPS......I say again...I don't have a problem with ANY CORPS......you apprarently do and feel the need to "share". Don't you see how nuts that is? That's why I say, If you what you say in these B.S. posts are what you would stand right in front of those kids on the field and say to their face.....then blather on....but if you honestly say you wouldn't ....then shut......well you know the rest!

Relax,... I havn't said anything about the BD on DCP that hasn't been said in MUCH worse terms and phrases by their own older alums, for heavens sake. I have been more than complimentary over the last few years in my posts regarding the Blue Devils. I even said a few days ago on this thread that some of my favorite shows of all time have in several cases come from the Blue Devils. You need to get a grip. It seems to me that you are WAY more concerned with the BD's effect on people than the current BD and MM's are. Go talk to your former older BD alums and lecture them as to how you feel they should be responding to this 2013 BD show, and how offended YOU are with their words, before you tell DCP'ers like me to STFU.

Edited by BRASSO

I would quibble a bit. I don't hold any malicious feelings towards a particular corps or its members. My contention is with the actual show, and to a larger degree the pattern that the Blue Devils have set over the past several years. Drum Corps is entertainment for me and I am perfectly justified in giving any given show a thumbs up or thumbs down. You give BD's show a thumbs up and I give it a thumbs down.

I have not only written on this forum but have also engaged in an email exchange with D. Gibbs about my thoughts. I have let him know that I think they have failed in the second part of their own mission, which is:

"To provide enjoyment for our local community and audiences worldwide."

By the way...even DCP is entertainment for me. I do struggle with dementia but not to the point that I delude myself into believing that I'm changing the world. I wake up, take my medications, eat a grapefruit, take some more meds and open DCP to see what others are saying. I like a good debate and find it helps me stay lucid and engaged in an activity that most people in the world don't know exists.

Granny, you and I have always jousted and you are quite witty and likeable when your not mean! :rolleyes:/> (I think I just described Mrs Bozman who lived behind us growing up...pretty scary, but gave great candy for Halloween). Anyway, your original post was fine (I even greenied you... along with the entire Eastern Seaboard)....then you went sideways for no #### reason. Why? It's your right to not like something, it's actually your right to boo (I know you don't but it's still your right)...in fact, the Scouts and I defend your right to do it :tongue:/>. I just don't get the bitterness and vitriol on here about performance that is meant to provide quality and joy to our lives. How do you find bad in all that? I just can't figure it out...for five years I can't figure out. I've got my kids rings and medals banging around the house somewhere in a sock drawer and it just doesn't make any sense why that matters. It's just entertainment and experience and family and exciting adventure and learning to build something together with great people....it doesn't have to be bad.... unless, of course we make it bad.

So is Surf your model for drum corps? If so, we are further apart than I thought. Don't get me wrong ... I have fun watching Surf's shows. But if every corps was doing what Surf does, I wouldn't pay a penny to watch it. I don't think I am alone in that. If you think "kids" will be inspired to become drum corps fans by Surf, I think you have missed the boat.

I thought of Surf's closer because it's a popular tune in the age ranges programmed for kids. Remember, DCI claims it wants to grow and get more kids involved...well, programming to what kids like is more likely goingto help than some piece of music written over 100 years ago.

What is "my way"? All I want is for corps to have the freedom to express themselves as they see fit. You are the one that wants to punish corps for not entertaining you. Do you honestly think that allowing artistic freedom will drive people away from DCI? If so, then DCI fans are pretty pathetic.

There are a couple shows I am not fond of this year, but you don't see me ranting and raving about how they are destroying drum corps. Many people like those shows, which is great. I just keep my mouth shut when they are on.

I'm not saying BD alone is the issue. I know many people that were burning babies for Crown...until this year.

And see, in Drum corps, see spot run, we run too. it's the old Cadets tshirt...first we zigged, then everyone zigged...so we zagged.

other corps see what the leaders do, then start to emulate....and this year we see more of what I refer to as "BDisms" in other shows, even corps who have long gone their own way.

That turns people off. Show design has been hotly debated on here since day 1, but I don't recall even 93 Star being an issue like this in the stands. BD, as the recognized leader gets the blame, but in a lot of ways, they drove the changes we see in more and more corps.