If BD Wins, We Riot!

LOL. Well, touche.

But I think it's apt to make relative comparisons of prop use to make both of our points.

Like, BD, or SCV, or 'Coats, or Blue Knights vs. Crown, and I think Crown wins.

blow.gif/>

Definitely,

Crown uses a prop the least of these corps, and I don't mind it because it's not overpowering.

I think my original point is that it seems like something borrowed from the winning designs at BD ( Chair, Mirror, Poles, more Poles). It seems like many of the corps have decided that having a prop in the show will garner more points from the judging community. I mean that's what it looks like to me. ...and it's a conclusion that I would have come to as well.

This year is the first year where there have been this many props on the field. I'm not giving an opinion on the props other than to notice how many corps are using them and my conclusion that they're being used because BD has won so many times with their inclusion.

Edited by jjeffeory

well the wouldnt marching, corps with flags or drums in a straight line, a pit or even a shako...make 2 or more corps similar? blink.gif

Those are pretty much a given for this idiom though, right? blink.gifsmile.gif

Definitely,

Crown uses a prop the least of these corps, and I don't mind it because it's not overpowering.

I think my original point is that it seems like something borrowed from the winning designs at BD ( Chair, Mirror, Poles, more Poles). It seems like many of the corps have decided that having a prop in the show will garner more points from the judging community.

props arent anything new....remember the cadets western show, those HUGE props in the 90s....the red Popy SCV beautiful and HUGE..nothing new ..been going on for decades

One of the things that I think make the two corps more similar in design is the pacing of the show compared to last year and the counting this year for Crown ( also the love speech) is similar in effect and feel to the background Dada stuff for BD last year.

I like to hear your thoughts about it too though!

IMO, the nature of Dada was that no point was the point.

Crown, however, makes a point of asking "Impossible, you say?", then closing with music that lifts the spirit and suggests possibility and brightness. And the conflict of the scientific analysis of Einstein's mind is questioned in the love story, and resolved to the possibility in the closer.

Dada was very successful in demonstrating that there is no point to the conflict and one should just stop trying.

Crown's show leaves me positive hopefulness. Dada left me resigned that it's all useless, so why try to even make sense?

I know which show makes me feel better emotionally, with conflict resolved and in rapt anticipation that the impossible is actually possible. And it wasn't Dada.

Yes, I like to feel good when I watch drum corps. There's enough conflict in my life. I don't want to be entertained by more conflict that goes unresolved and doesn't, at least, gives me a reason to be hopeful.

The only thing I hoped for with Dada is that it would end. A final cutoff, or a bullet to the head, I didn't care. Just make it stop.

Edited by garfield

maybe..but does it have to be..or just be?....not debating it just posing the question...who actually says it has to be the same

Oh, I like the possibilities you're bringing up here, BUT it is the judges interpretation of the sheets and what they award that actually says what has to be in a show.

If the same corps, who does things pretty similarly from year to year, wins with that design over and over, corps designers are going to try and "match" that awarded design.

So if a corps wants to ever be a "success" competitively speaking, they're going to need to conform. That's why we're getting props and that squat thing that so many are doing now.

props arent anything new....remember the cadets western show, those HUGE props in the 90s....the red Popy SCV beautiful and HUGE..nothing new ..been going on for decades

Yes, one offs here and there. This year many of the corps are using props, pretty much en mass. That so many corps are using them in the same year signifies a shift to me.

I remember the stories of our beloved Zingali and his giant hamster cages that were used at the beginning of Star's 1986 ET show and are allegedly buried in a field behind Star Hall...

...and I'm fulling aware of the decades of prop use by high school marching bands.

Oh, I like the possibilities you're bringing up here, BUT it is the judges interpretation of the sheets and what they award that actually says what has to be in a show.

If the same corps, who does things pretty similarly from year to year, wins with that design over and over, corps designers are going to try and "match" that awarded design.

So if a corps wants to ever be a "success" competitively speaking, they're going to need to conform. That's why we're getting props and that squat thing that so many are doing now.

corps having always written to sheets and as far as what the sheets are corps decide this , now how some interpret a sheet is another story and has been an issue from the beginning of drum corps..even worse BITD

Yes, one offs here and there. This year many of the corps are using props, pretty much en mass. That so many corps are using them in the same year signifies a shift to me.

I remember the stories of our beloved Zingali and his giant hamster cages that were used at the beginning of Star's 1986 ET show and are allegedly buried in a field behind Star Hall...

...and I'm fulling aware of the decades of prop use by high school marching bands.

remember HS marching bands for the most part are taught by current drum corps people setting the trends. Props , music, whats in or out changes just like all things in life do and sometimes they come back with a newer twist to an old thing.

Drum corps , as much as some would like to belive otherwise, is a visual medium, has been for many decades. If it werent then one could just sit in a semi circle and play