If BD Wins, We Riot!

Counterpoint:

The Cadets fielded park benches and lampposts in 1995. The fielded large, colorful dance blocks that they (very conspicuously) dragged onto/off of the field in 1995, 2002, and (kind of) in 2012. They fielded huge rotating panels in 1996, and again in 2006. 1999 saw taxi doors and large blue tarp. 2005 saw a door that become the centerpiece of the visual program. 2008 saw a talk show stage -- also a centerpiece. 2013 has given us yet more colorful panels. And if corps uniforms count as a prop -- which occasionally they probably should -- then Cadets 2005/2006 are leading examples of that.

Mind you, these are all years that the Cadets received high or very high (winning) scores in visual GE, regardless of whether or not they won the actual championship, which means that -- by your argument -- there has been incentive to use props since at least 1995... long before BD's chairs in 2009.

Not to mention that Carolina Crown fielded barnyard fences in 2007 -- again, before the chairs -- in a year that BD won the championship using 0 props whatsoever.

Flag - 15 yard penalty for using facts in a dcp forum.

• Like 1

Well, it makes most sense to look at who has the winning visual design, rather than the winning design overall, since we're talking about a strictly visual element of the show. Corps have had very successful visual programs featuring a heavy and well-integrated use of props for quite a while, now. BD's recent success is not the source of this, as much as DCP'ers would have us believe otherwise.

Pray tell, what is the source of all the props this year then?

I don't have a huge problem with many of them. Other props are distracting... It's just that there are so many of them this year...

...and who has the winning visual design? Likely to be BD over the last several years... Also, affects Visual GE and GE. Who has been winning those lately as well?

I haven't search for the recaps.

The BIG difference (and this really is key), isn't the use of props, but HOW the props are integrated into the show. Every year since 2008, BD has made props an integral part of their show design. 08 was a little more subtle and 2 dimensional, but every year since then, it has been in all 3 dimensions. With the poles, the chairs, the mirrors, the 'building rods', the hobby horses, and the 'trees' this year - BD has used props in a way that is much more than a simple backdrop, or a bench that people sit on for one mvmt. The other key is that in a blue devils show, the props themselves are performers. As much as we used the door in 2005 and 2006, we didn't have to move the thing around. We didn't make drill sets with it, or build a house, or stand on it, or jump over it. We didn't lay it on the ground to make pictures, or sit on it to represent a street curb.

So...i think using some of this data to prove a point either way is a bit flawed. SCV this year for example - their use of props has little (or i would say NOTHING) to do with how BD is using props. A bunch of pictures in the back of the field that set the story up? Decidely un "BD-like", and I would say not influenced by them at all. Cadets on the other hand....using props to divide the field, set different stages, as a vehicle for equipment and mobile color changes? Much more BD like....and perhaps a bit clumsy from what I've heard so far. But clearly...not all prop use is equal, and it cant be categorized as such to denote trends...

Get used to the props, and all the Blue Devil-type inclusions. This thing will end up as a large scale, indoor arena act. All of this is a precursor.

In my mind . . . good stuff. That will work!

Pray tell, what is the source of all the props this year then?

I don't have a huge problem with many of them. Other props are distracting... It's just that there are so many of them this year...

...and who has the winning visual design? Likely to be BD over the last several years... Also, affects Visual GE and GE. Who has been winning those lately as well?

I haven't search for the recaps.

Yes, listen to Guardling - don't give BD so much credit/blame.

I think it is much simpler. Designers are creative people. People have egos. People naturally like for their "creations" - shows into which many pour themselves - to be praised as a masterpiece. Creative minds are often trying to think of new & different ways to do things. It is all just experimentation.

• Like 1

I think it is much simpler. Designers are creative people. People have egos. People naturally like for their "creations" - shows into which many pour themselves - to be praised as a masterpiece. Creative minds are often trying to think of new & different ways to do things. It is all just experimentation.

Exactly. Look don't get me wrong I think Scott Chandler is from another planet with the stuff he thinks up sometimes, but a lot of it is purely him and some random dream he had the other night. BD could very well get another show designer in the next 5 years that sees things completely differently, changes everything around, and then you go one of two ways: either no props and back to old school kick it jazz, or maybe some kind of 4 dimensional show with floating members on hover-boards playing from behind the audience. It could happen. :lookaround:/>

Forgive me...I've only read half of the 64 pages of this thread...

But, from where I stood at the Dome, when second place was announced and the booing began, it wasn't in displeasure of BD's show content winning, but more of the fact that people were wanting Crown to win and didn't.

After Crown's show, they got very good crowd response. BD did not.

After 2nd was announced...boos were heard. Again...more in support of Crown win than a disapproval of the actual winning corps' repertoire.

Also keep in mind...we were in the deep south, and Crown is a southern corps. To quote Rondo from the 1980 telecast..."The South loves the South". It doesn't surprise me that there were boos...the favored corps didn't win.

yes, but does the South love Hop?

:tongue:/>

Any one who has performed knows that any sound you hear when you are onstage refers to you, no matter how your mind tries to convince you otherwise. Any "Boos" heard by the corps, any corps, hurts the kids on the field, even if the boos are actually intended for the judges. Indifferent applause speaks louder and hurts less.

That said, I've heard tales that the riots that occurred at the original Rite of Spring premiere might have been staged by plants in the audience for publicity... not sure anyone would get the joke.

honestly, in most cases, boos fire the corps up to come out and kick ### more.

Your diagnosis is so insightful. Please know that I think most of my problems stem from the fact that my father never told me he loved me or bought me ice cream?

It's amazing to me that you condescend to us and keep coming back to this thread to straighten us out. It must take a great deal of humility on your part.

oh please...Plan has oodles more humility to dole out

:tongue:/>

There is a lot of truth to the fact that some people just don't like BD or care for their shows as of late but honestly, Crowns show this year is very BDisk. They are pulling many of the stunts that people hated on BD for pulling. People can boo if they want to but it just shows how classless they are and that they do not recognize or appreciate talent. For while I'm not a huge fan of BD this year or the last couple years, they are still one of the most talented and well executing corps in the world. You don't have to like them but you need to learn to respect them.

Side note...that crown show looks just like and sounds just like a BD show. Of course with some Crown flair but concept would be right in BD's wheel house right now.

pretty much what a friend who went to West Chester tonight said. And he said the usual mass Purple hysteria was not as evident. but no, corps aren't being influenced by BD

:rolleyes:/>

• Like 1