If BD Wins, We Riot!

Thats fine too... then simply have your future posts reflect this when someone says anything remotely unflattering regarding the Blue Devils. If you don't care what people express about the Blue Devils, good, bad, or indifferent, then mean it, and don't get so worked up and angry about it.

God I hate it when you make me give you props

here's thing......DCI judging is not going to tell the Percussion judge to bump the percussion score. Crown is going to have to earn it, and seeing a video from last with blown attacks on 8's, I'd say odds aren't good there.

in 2008, it's wasn't DCI telling the judges what to do. it was Phantoms once in a lifetime performance coupled with BD's percussive meltdown. if DCI were going to "tell" the judges to put Crown up, it would have happened in 2009.

and perchance you mayforget...DCI is the World Class corps. So, I kinda don't see Dave Gibbs signing off on that one. Or Hop

Anyone with ears can tell the Crown's line this year shouldn't be beating anyone in the 12 range in "achievement" and yet....

• Like 1

Anyone with ears can tell the Crown's line this year shouldn't be beating anyone in the 12 range in "achievement" and yet....

well, I'm sure in my review I'll state how my viewing was. I hate irritiating the purple skintight pants band, but I can't be ABBD all the time

:rolleyes:/>

Well ok, to be more precise then for you, you said above, you only care if someone says " only nasty things that I ( you ) know to be false ".

What nasty things have been said of the Blue Devils on this thread above that do not fall into the realm of " opinion ", but can be cited by you ( quote ) " to be false " ?

What examples ? Cite specifically where what was said on here above was " nasty " and can cited by you with the knowledge to be " false " ? All I see are people's opinions, no more no less. Whats so terribly wrong with that ? Whats been said on here above that to your knowledge " is false " ? We've already had it established on this thread by alleged inside sources well connected to BD Corps and they've told us that the BD MM's pay no mind to what audiences think.. including the booing of scores. So whats YOUR issue with audiences, as nobody here has said they are participating in the booing of the scores in shows in which BD appears ?

I think it's crude and has no place in performance arts......BUT......if you see what I recently said to Granny....I said booing is NOT what I'm talking about. Her original post was fine, when she and others began suggesting that BD was figuratively giving the finger to the audience, etc, that drove my response. I'm not about to back through DCP posts and pull out the venom, but several of those were authored by you.....I have even posted that I was surprised at your level of vitriol against BD, Dave Gibbs and others....it was a bit stupefying.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what three letter word the mod's would not allow. Bag of ice? Bag of tea?

Oh, could we have fun with that!

LOL

EDIT: Oh! I know!

... a bag of BOO!

Ha!

I kill me. I'm here till 10:00. Tip your waitress.

Edited by garfield

here's thing......DCI judging is not going to tell the Percussion judge to bump the percussion score. Crown is going to have to earn it, and seeing a video from last with blown attacks on 8's, I'd say odds aren't good there.

in 2008, it's wasn't DCI telling the judges what to do. it was Phantoms once in a lifetime performance coupled with BD's percussive meltdown. if DCI were going to "tell" the judges to put Crown up, it would have happened in 2009.

and perchance you mayforget...DCI is the World Class corps. So, I kinda don't see Dave Gibbs signing off on that one. Or Hop

IMO...Crown will have to clean the percussion as best they can...and make sure the rest of the show is just so far ahead a lower placing percussion score won't cost them the champs. Seeing some of the tough stuff they did nail last night, I think they can bring it up at least some.

Reaching for my Q-tips...

Well, my ears are pretty good, particularly in drums, and I would disagree today. The changes made in Crown's book in the last two weeks are pretty significant, and the the other corps' achievement scores are easy muddled by the complexity of the book.

Just having more notes per measure is dazzling, for sure, but being dazzled by a complex book can bleed over into better achievement scores based on that book.

The difficulty in Crown's achievement is that it's so exposed and not muddled by "too many notes".

IMO

Edited because, on re-reading, my post made absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

Edited by garfield

Perceptions are real I suppose. Believe me when I tell you that I could give two ##### if you or anyone praises BD or not. The only time I'll reply negatively is when you go beyond the pale....which you did in this thread. Your original benign comments morphed into something mean and unnecessary. You are free to make those accusations, but don't accuse me of being sectarian if I challenge you. I did the same thing on another thread when several posters were criticizing Madison for their handling of "the fallen" on the battlefield. Most of that conversation was civil and I think I was able to add a dimension of military perspective in the Scouts favor. But I wasn't sectarian.

Like or dislike BD....I don't give a ####......hell, my wife thought BD 2010 was weird (and that was her kid on field), so what? I think if you go back and look, you'll find that I only challenge the very nasty things that I know to be false. And I think that's pretty civilized and appropriate. And you still haven't answered my question about why you need to criticize a drum corps show to the degree you and other do? Nor did you answer honestly if you would be this upset if BD was placing 5th or 6th. Because that (IMO) is what this is all about! Period! It's that 2nd place announcement and someone else beating BD that sets the emotional drive in this. Not for all, but for plenty of fans. Put BD way back in the pack out of the top 3 and it will be all about the winning corps....which is what it should always be.

I agree with Brasso. Why don't you cite the "beyond the pale, mean and unnecessary, nasty things that have been said."

Now...I will answer your questions in a list form so you don't have to do due diligence and go back and read:

1. "Why do you need to criticize a drum corps show to the degree you and others do?" First of all, your question implies (based on the context of the rest of your post) that my criticism is over the top, mean-spirited and nasty. I reject your characterizations. But I freely admit I'm a critic of the Blue Devils' show this year (and actually the past several years). I don't like their show and I have outlined in depth my reasons on this thread. Your question; however, is more about the "tone" you think I'm using and I simply disagree with your assumptions that I am angry, mean-spirited, etc. Instead I think you're exhibiting the characteristics of being a fanboy and being hyper-sensitive to anything said about your Blue Devils.
  2. "Would I be this upset if BD was placing 5th or 6th?" Yes I would. I'm disappointed in a corps that I have historically loved, setting a pattern that "betrays" (for lack of a better word) their DNA. The same as I was disappointed with the Troopers the past couple years and before that with the Scouts and at times SCV for playing shows that seemed to be written for other corps. But lest you think I'm blowing smoke, my frustration this year is amplified by the fact that they have a shot at winning again with this kind of show.

Are those answers satisfying to you? Or will you continue to assign your misguided and petty labels to people who have differing opinions from yours?

You keep trying to make yourself appear balanced and fair-minded by saying things like how you "don't give a ####" and even your wife was critical of BD in 2010." I'm not buying it. You have been completely intolerant of anyone who isn't fawning over your Blue Devils.

Now, to end where I started. Would you please cite what has offended you so much?

I think it's crude and has no place in performance arts......BUT......if you see what I recently said to Granny....I said booing is NOT what I'm talking about. Her original post was fine, when she and others began suggesting that BD was figuratively giving the finger to the audience, etc, that drove my response. I'm not about to back through DCP posts and pull out the venom, but several of those were authored by you.....I have even posted that I was surprised at your level of vitriol against BD, Dave Gibbs and others....it was a bit stupefying.

A serious question for you:

It's no secret know for at least 5 years, BD's programming has been controversial, and has been not well received by a large number of fans.That they continue to program this way, in a way isn't that really giving those fans the finger?

I actually know a few people that hate hopkins so much, it has turned them against the corps...butif they come out with a gem like Angels and Demons, even they give it up for them. But the non popularity of BD has been going and growing for a while, and the staff can't be unaware of it. So really....if they keep programming like this, they have to know it will be unpopular with a large number of fans...so yeah, theykinda are flipping them the bird.

• Like 2

On the flip side, for those of you that were fortunate enough to witness Phantom win the Spartacus year. I have never heard the crowd erupt like that ever! No thanks to the drum judge who ranked and rated with a continence. That is still on of the best moments in DCI history. That is what DCI should be shooting for every year and until they really fix the recognition of all aspects of this activity in the system we will continue to ##### about the outcome. Bottom line there are things that are done in this activity that not explicitly written on the sheets but are still inherent to this activity specifically and should be recognized and rewarded when other groups choose not to.