If BD Wins, We Riot!

A serious question for you:

It's no secret know for at least 5 years, BD's programming has been controversial, and has been not well received by a large number of fans.That they continue to program this way, in a way isn't that really giving those fans the finger?

I actually know a few people that hate hopkins so much, it has turned them against the corps...butif they come out with a gem like Angels and Demons, even they give it up for them. But the non popularity of BD has been going and growing for a while, and the staff can't be unaware of it. So really....if they keep programming like this, they have to know it will be unpopular with a large number of fans...so yeah, theykinda are flipping them the bird.

FYWW

I agree with Brasso. Why don't you cite the "beyond the pale, mean and unnecessary, nasty things that have been said."

Now...I will answer your questions in a list form so you don't have to do due diligence and go back and read:

1. "Why do you need to criticize a drum corps show to the degree you and others do?" First of all, your question implies (based on the context of the rest of your post) that my criticism is over the top, mean-spirited and nasty. I reject your characterizations. But I freely admit I'm a critic of the Blue Devils' show this year (and actually the past several years). I don't like their show and I have outlined in depth my reasons on this thread. Your question; however, is more about the "tone" you think I'm using and I simply disagree with your assumptions that I am angry, mean-spirited, etc. Instead I think you're exhibiting the characteristics of being a fanboy and being hyper-sensitive to anything said about your Blue Devils.
  2. "Would I be this upset if BD was placing 5th or 6th?" Yes I would. I'm disappointed in a corps that I have historically loved, setting a pattern that "betrays" (for lack of a better word) their DNA. The same as I was disappointed with the Troopers the past couple years and before that with the Scouts and at times SCV for playing shows that seemed to be written for other corps. But lest you think I'm blowing smoke, my frustration this year is amplified by the fact that they have a shot at winning again with this kind of show.

Are those answers satisfying to you? Or will you continue to assign your misguided and petty labels to people who have differing opinions from yours?

You keep trying to make yourself appear balanced and fair-minded by saying things like how you "don't give a ####" and even your wife was critical of BD in 2010." I'm not buying it. You have been completely intolerant of anyone who isn't fawning over your Blue Devils.

Now, to end where I started. Would you please cite what has offended you so much?

Granny....that's it! Plan is the Fox News of DCP. Fair and balanced as long as you're with the blue state!

:tongue:/>

I agree with Brasso. Why don't you cite the "beyond the pale, mean and unnecessary, nasty things that have been said."

Now...I will answer your questions in a list form so you don't have to do due diligence and go back and read:

1. "Why do you need to criticize a drum corps show to the degree you and others do?" First of all, your question implies (based on the context of the rest of your post) that my criticism is over the top, mean-spirited and nasty. I reject your characterizations. But I freely admit I'm a critic of the Blue Devils' show this year (and actually the past several years). I don't like their show and I have outlined in depth my reasons on this thread. Your question; however, is more about the "tone" you think I'm using and I simply disagree with your assumptions that I am angry, mean-spirited, etc. Instead I think you're exhibiting the characteristics of being a fanboy and being hyper-sensitive to anything said about your Blue Devils.
  2. "Would I be this upset if BD was placing 5th or 6th?" Yes I would. I'm disappointed in a corps that I have historically loved, setting a pattern that "betrays" (for lack of a better word) their DNA. The same as I was disappointed with the Troopers the past couple years and before that with the Scouts and at times SCV for playing shows that seemed to be written for other corps. But lest you think I'm blowing smoke, my frustration this year is amplified by the fact that they have a shot at winning again with this kind of show.

Are those answers satisfying to you? Or will you continue to assign your misguided and petty labels to people who have differing opinions from yours?

You keep trying to make yourself appear balanced and fair-minded by saying things like how you "don't give a ####" and even your wife was critical of BD in 2010." I'm not buying it. You have been completely intolerant of anyone who isn't fawning over your Blue Devils.

Now, to end where I started. Would you please cite what has offended you so much?

Granny Smith, on 29 July 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Don't you think on some level their shows (or late) are a bit of a "finger in the eye" of most fans? I'm wondering if the show actually communicates a bit of a "screw you" mentality?

This is a sincere question: What do you think the designers are saying? By now they clearly know this style of show is not even close to being popular with the people paying the ticket prices. They have a storied history of COOLNESS but have abandoned it. Is it a matter of "variety" as some have said? Is it simply because they've found a winning formula and are riding that wave?

I'm just wondering what those who designed these shows would say is their motivator?

Plan9 Reply:

This is a bit over the top....even for you Granny. You don't know any of this!.....you may want to compartmentalize BD and their designers, for your own rationalization....but you'd be wrong. It's a completely unfair and unjustified assumption you're making here, and even a little bit mean. You don't like something?..fine, wait a few minutes and a corps you like will fill the field. But to spew this crap out is completely uncalled for. These are hard working designers and performers who try and are excited to present their very best to the audience every year, and IMO they do. You have different taste, you like Cadets kind of in your face DC, I like good stories done well and different done well....but I'm not about to trash your taste or the corps you like. And quit trying to speak about people and organizations you know nothing about.

• Like 1

Can we still riot anyway if BD doesn't win? You know, maybe shake up things in downtown Indy a little. Maybe some drunk nascar fans will join the party?

• Like 1

A serious question for you:

It's no secret know for at least 5 years, BD's programming has been controversial, and has been not well received by a large number of fans.That they continue to program this way, in a way isn't that really giving those fans the finger?

I actually know a few people that hate hopkins so much, it has turned them against the corps...butif they come out with a gem like Angels and Demons, even they give it up for them. But the non popularity of BD has been going and growing for a while, and the staff can't be unaware of it. So really....if they keep programming like this, they have to know it will be unpopular with a large number of fans...so yeah, theykinda are flipping them the bird.

You can perceive anything you want Jeff. People end marriages every day as a result of perceptions. People are fired as a result of perceptions. But many tiimes, those perceptions are wrong. I have no idea why BD designs the way they do, but it interests them and it's very beautifully done....and obviously effective. Just because you and others don't like their designs, doesn't mean that you get to shut them down and ram your opinion down our throats. They are 1 of 22 corps competing....why not just let them be different and be happy they are working hard to touch the non-traditional elements of design. I know you Granny and others would love to see them do their old Jazz shows with screamers and long grooves.....they're not....maybe some day...but not now. So try to appreciate what they are doing, wait for CC or Cadets or SCV or BK to touch your Drum Corps buttons...let it be.

• Like 1

Granny Smith, on 29 July 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Don't you think on some level their shows (or late) are a bit of a "finger in the eye" of most fans? I'm wondering if the show actually communicates a bit of a "screw you" mentality?

This is a sincere question: What do you think the designers are saying? By now they clearly know this style of show is not even close to being popular with the people paying the ticket prices. They have a storied history of COOLNESS but have abandoned it. Is it a matter of "variety" as some have said? Is it simply because they've found a winning formula and are riding that wave?

I'm just wondering what those who designed these shows would say is their motivator?

You are overly sensitive.

• Like 3

You can perceive anything you want Jeff. People end marriages every day as a result of perceptions. People are fired as a result of perceptions. But many tiimes, those perceptions are wrong. I have no idea why BD designs the way they do, but it interests them and it's very beautifully done....and obviously effective. Just because you and others don't like their designs, doesn't mean that you get to shut them down and ram your opinion down our throats. They are 1 of 22 corps competing....why not just let them be different and be happy they are working hard to touch the non-traditional elements of design. I know you Granny and others would love to see them do their old Jazz shows with screamers and long grooves.....they're not....maybe some day...but not now. So try to appreciate what they are doing, wait for CC or Cadets or SCV or BK to touch your Drum Corps buttons...let it be.

This is sage advice, IMO. Although I freely poke at Plan9 for fun (kind of like poking a bear through the cage bars), the fact is that BD is only 11 minutes out of my drum corps night. The other two hours are filled with other performances that I can love or not. My entire focus is NOT on BD and so it's not possible, for me, that if BD wins they will "ruin" my experience if I disagree with that outcome.

Ppfft... This makes me laugh.

I'm not needed to defend Plan but, based on what I know about him, sensitivity is not one of the words tatooed on his bicep. Much less over-sensitivity.

Now, he IS just a big teddy bear, but...

You are erroneously projecting motivations and thoughts about an organization and MM's you know nothing about. Say what you know.... and keep your superimposition to yourself.

• Like 2