Recommended Posts

As an aged drum corps fellow, I would never boo the kids on the field. They work WAY too hard to deserve that. I've been boo'd before and as a 19 year old kid (THESE ARE KIDS OUT THERE!!... yes, I'm shouting) I can tell you it rips your heart out.

If I could I would boo the judges and the DCI organization as a whole. I'm sorry, I just don't get what the Blue Devils have been doing the last few years. After watching their show last night I shook my head not understanding how the judges are rewarding these shows. Again, no attack on the kids. They perform wonderfully. I keep hearing "clean wins" but come on, if that were true there are many corps out there that are clean and are not in the upper echelon of DCI.

My fear is that others corps will start copying BD's success. I can't imagine seeing 10 shows like that on the field. If there is, I am done. Thank God for corps like Cadets, PR, SVC, etc. who keep me coming back as they present some resemblance of “drum corps” not WGI with horns.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry, but your post is too sanctimonious. I personally have never booed, but I have shaken my head on a number of occasions. An entire generation (I'm talking to you Millennials) was brought up und

Is that how drum corps has evolved? Is it now a wine and cheese activity where we politely clap and then give a required standing ovation at the end of each and every show? There are corps doing shows

Start rioting! I would give BD a 75 % chance of winning Crown 15% and Cadets 10%. You have a judging community that are no more than a bunch of puppets.

Unlike you, Granny had an explanation to her reasoning. Care to elaborate?

Any reply I type Cappy would be of a political nature and hence, not appropriate.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're the generation that's singlehandedly destroying America, what does that say about you, the generation that instilled our values in us?

You can lead a horse to water........

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that how drum corps has evolved? Is it now a wine and cheese activity where we politely clap and then give a required standing ovation at the end of each and every show? There are corps doing shows that the majority of people "don't get" and we're supposed to appreciate it as "art" and applaud it while we warmly smile at those around us and look smuggly satisfied.

Frankly...we're a lot closer to NASCAR then we are to the New York Philharmonic. Just look at the people sitting in the seats.

The most raucous booing I've heard in drum corps throughout the years is when a corps (eg. 2013 Blue Devils) puts something on the field that most folks at best "tolerate" and then it's rewarded by the judges as the best show of the night. The elites would have you to believe that the middle-aged couple wearing their Wisconsin Badger sweatshirt, sitting on a seat cushion and eating a brat don't have the first clue about what's good and what isn't. But guess what? Most of them actually do know what is pleasing and what isn't. They paid for the ticket and the only way they can voice their opinion in some cases is to boo.

Don't think it's only DCP know-it-alls who are booing. I've seen other gray haired ladies boo and men who were at the local auto plant booing. And don't forget...they're booing the judges decision.

1, Would not booing be very much historically accurate when viewing Re-write of Spring? It was for the origina!

2. Granny, with the ticket prices DCI and TOC are charging nowadays, is there really that much difference from the NYP at Lincoln Center???

Got to get you out of the farm house once in awhile.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1375110089[/url]' post='3297071']

Hasn't BD won Atlanta each year since 2008?

DCI said since 2006 but I could be wrong

Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aged drum corps fellow, I would never boo the kids on the field. They work WAY too hard to deserve that. I've been boo'd before and as a 19 year old kid (THESE ARE KIDS OUT THERE!!... yes, I'm shouting) I can tell you it rips your heart out.

If I could I would boo the judges and the DCI organization as a whole. I'm sorry, I just don't get what the Blue Devils have been doing the last few years. After watching their show last night I shook my head not understanding how the judges are rewarding these shows. Again, no attack on the kids. They perform wonderfully. I keep hearing "clean wins" but come on, if that were true there are many corps out there that are clean and are not in the upper echelon of DCI.

My fear is that others corps will start copying BD's success. I can't imagine seeing 10 shows like that on the field. If there is, I am done. Thank God for corps like Cadets, PR, SVC, etc. who keep me coming back as they present some resemblance of "drum corps" not WGI with horns.

I agree...fans are not necessarily booing the Blue Devils...they are booing the politics and insanity of DCI.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think DCI crowds are educated enough and classy enough to not boo. Agree that kids should be tough enough to not let it really bother them, but I expect booing at NASCAR or football, not drum corps.

Ok... but then how do you square the DCI Corps Crossmen show " PROTEST ! " with your thoughts on displays of minor protest ( booing for a few seconds ) by the audience ? I'm ok with the Crossmen's theme of " PROTEST!" this year. Its fine, and its in Americans DNA to protest, and our Nation was born out of the blood of Revolution. I just don't get why some here are a little preachy to DCP'ers about " booing " a score, but nobody has said a word about a DCI's Corps theme revolving around the need to " PROTEST ! ". :doh:

Edited by BRASSO
Link to post
Share on other sites

You want booing, folks???

You want angry, reckless, boorish fan behavior???

Attend a NY Jets home game. And wait for the first mistake the team makes. :tongue:

(Lifelong Jets fan here.)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

DCI said since 2006 but I could be wrong

Cavies won in 06, but BD won on 7-14-07 prior to corps working their way to CA. So BD is up to seven in a row.

Edited by Ghost
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.