If BD Wins, We Riot!

No i won't start a riot. Or join one.

But i will sigh as i sit through another BD finals encore and that guy yells out the year of every BD championship. I will be sour for sure. Ive gone to finals in indi the past 3 years, would be nice to see Crown or SCV win to shake it up.

Will i boo? I dont know. Probably not. But there will be booing.

Do the kids care if their show placement is booed? I dont know, ive never been on the receiving end. I hope they arent upset. They dont control the judges or the design of the show. On top of it, with the reputation BD has, i doubt most are there at BD to put out fan pleasing shows anyway. Just a thought.

Do the judges care that the fans think they get it wrong? Probably not. If they did this wouldnt happen every year throughout the year.

Do the show designers care? Probably not, their goal is to win a championship. And they do more often than not, it seems.

Is there a way to voice displeasure? Dci sends a short questionnaire online to people, one of the questions is are you satisfied with the judging? Or do you agree with the judging? Or something like that.

Do they listen? One would hope so.

• Like 2

From my stand point, the BD origination knows has what it takes to win. Instead of thinking inside the box they step far away from. Year in and year out, they always surprise us or just me by doing something unimaginable. Of course we all have our own opinions but sometimes it better to keep them to ourselves. If you have a problem with BD winning, call your favorite corps organization and give them some ideas. When BD performs, they perform things out of the ordinary. With the other corps, IMO you can already tell how they will sound and look. I like each and every corp but BD will always be at the top of my list. It's okay to not clap but its disrespectful to boo these young talented performers just because you didn't get your way. DCI should be something fun, exciting, energetic, etc. If you have a problem with something and you feel like booing, my advice would be to stay at home. The only person who will look bad when they boo, will be the one who looks bad. My advice to the BD is keep doing what you are doing. Don't change for anybody. There are people who will love you and those who will hate you. But remember, your haters are your motivators.

And like they say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothing at all.

• Like 8

I've been boo'd before and as a 19 year old kid (THESE ARE KIDS OUT THERE!!... yes, I'm shouting) I can tell you it rips your heart out.

And within this comment is the problem.

THEY ARE NOT CHILDREN (yes, I'm shouting. Notice the all caps and bolded word). They are adults. Young adults, but adults nonetheless. The longer we treat them as kids, the farther out we push adolescence and we're left with adults living at home, leaching off their parents till they're 25 and having their mommy call their HR director at work and scolding them for treating little Johnnie unfairly at work. (and no, this is not hyperbole)

Haven't most of you people been alive long enough to understand what kind of world you live in? As adults you rarely get compliments and "applause". Instead you mostly hear criticisms of you on every level. How often does the boss come by and put a cupcake on your desk and tell you how you're a winner? Instead when the boss walks into your son or daughter's cubicle and says, "You really dropped the ball on that project and I expect better" is it going to "rip their heart out" or are they going to suck it up and get the job done right? Good grief, are we all really that soft?

• Like 8

1375108639[/url]' post='3297054']

Just think, a lot of us clamor for the activity to grow, yet this is how react to the results? How do you think this looks to outsiders if that was their first ever awards ceremony?

I think folks who do the booing usually ARE outsiders at their first ever awards ceremony. You know, the people who aren't used to DCI judging, and expect the show that entertained them the most to win. I've never booed, but I can get why newbies and other general audience members do. I also think these "everyone needs to clap for everybody" ideas are a bunch of politically correct nonsense. Also to note, while the scores (aka the judges) may have been booed, I'm sure the corps itself got the usual polite golf claps at the end of their show.

Speaking of polite golf claps, I don't buy into the "Oh, the poor Blue Devils" argument. If these kids joined BD, they know what audience reaction they're probably going to get, and I'm sure they're cool with it. If not, they probably would have joined a different corps.

• Like 1

You can lead a horse to water........

Faulty reasoning. If your generation led us all to water, so to speak, then what would be the cause of so many of us collectively choosing to refuse it? Some bizarre genetic anomaly that just happened to crop up for all births within a certain time period? It has to come from somewhere, and the most obvious answer is, "the environment that people older than us made for us to grow up in."

• Like 1

Does the BD staff bear ANY responsibilty at all to subjecting their MM's to booing this year ? Are we to believe that the BD show designers are so tone deaf to Drum Corps audiences music and entertainment tastes that they are somehow completely shocked with this year's booing ? I don't believe for a second that the 2013 BD show designers are so out of touch with national audiences tastes in entertainment that this has caught them completely by shock. Others are of course entitled to believe that BD show designers just had no idea... no idea at all... that this would happen to their MM's and their Corps this year. Thats ok too, people are entilted to assess this as they please too.

Edited by BRASSO

Also, if you're one of those sanctimonious types who considers football and NASCAR audiences to be a bunch of uncultured, uneducated vermin, I'd sure hate to be stuck sitting next to you at a dinner table.

• Like 1

Is that how drum corps has evolved? Is it now a wine and cheese activity where we politely clap and then give a required standing ovation at the end of each and every show? There are corps doing shows that the majority of people "don't get" and we're supposed to appreciate it as "art" and applaud it while we warmly smile at those around us and look smuggly satisfied.

Frankly...we're a lot closer to NASCAR then we are to the New York Philharmonic. Just look at the people sitting in the seats.

The most raucous booing I've heard in drum corps throughout the years is when a corps (eg. 2013 Blue Devils) puts something on the field that most folks at best "tolerate" and then it's rewarded by the judges as the best show of the night. The elites would have you to believe that the middle-aged couple wearing their Wisconsin Badger sweatshirt, sitting on a seat cushion and eating a brat don't have the first clue about what's good and what isn't. But guess what? Most of them actually do know what is pleasing and what isn't. They paid for the ticket and the only way they can voice their opinion in some cases is to boo.

Don't think it's only DCP know-it-alls who are booing. I've seen other gray haired ladies boo and men who were at the local auto plant booing. And don't forget...they're booing the judges decision.

I don't think it's an evolution at all. My experience has been that the crowds are by far much classier people than those at most public sporting events that name call, get drunk, get in fights etc.

We beat this discussion to death back in 07 and 08 when folks were accusing Hop of single-handedly destroying the activity and were booing the corps to express their displeasure, including "hash gate".

The philharmonic are paid professionals, not students performing a summer youth activity. If the philharmoic plays crappy or plays something I don't like, I'll certainly make my voice heard, but I can do it without booing. And so can everyone else. I was raised to be respectful of others. I don't always succeed, but I don't let myself off the hook either. I surround myself with those who behave in a similar manner.

I don't profess to be a DCP know-it-all. I've never asserted my opinion mattered more than another. And certainly people have the right to do whatever they want in terms of boing,clapping, whistling or name calling.

I still stand by my position that booing is classless and acheives nothing other than making the ones booing feel some temporary release of anger which is likely from something totally other than what they claim to be angry about.

As for Gen Y as a whole, I agree with your observations. And it isn't the fault of an entire previous generation either. I don't have kids, but certainly wouldn't raise them to behave the way I see a lot of that generation do. It's also apparent that when challenged, they want to blame someone vs. owning it.

P.S. I'm often labelled a hater on her for not loving the BD and everything they do.

Edited by Wadep66
  • Like 2

You want booing, folks???

You want angry, reckless, boorish fan behavior???

Attend a NY Jets home game. And wait for the first mistake the team makes. :tongue:/>

(Lifelong Jets fan here.)

"The Jets kick off to open the game...and the ballgame is over".

Booooooo!!!!

:tongue:/>

THEY ARE NOT CHILDREN (yes, I'm shouting. Notice the all caps and bolded word). They are adults. Young adults, but adults nonetheless.

Disagree. Are you saying that these kids are ready for the real world the same as a 30 year old who's gone through college, worked a job of 10 years, is married with with three kids? I think not.

It's one thing to treat them as adults helping them grow, it's another to expect them to be adults. Have you hung out at the mall lately? :rolleyes: