West Chester Festers

I'm betting part of the late-season risk is when corps are ramping up the tempo, it can be easy for the members to lose their gut feeling for how fast a certain part should be and if they aren't closely watching (or can't see) the DMs... Plus, yeah, if they're spreading the field all bets are off.

Oh yeah. Or maybe they're fine in the new tempo but then they rest for 10 measures, and when they come back in the muscle memory takes over. Messing with tempos is a tricky game when they're so ingrained.

Did anyone catch George Hopkins playing with the Crossmen alumni snareline in the parking lot? What a trip! thumbup.gif

558784_10151646083561911_976388656_n.jpg

And he was on the field performing at the end of the show with the rest of those guys, when the "Crossmen All-Stars" played Russian Christmas Music with the Reilly Raiders alumni corps.

It was a major problem - especially when you are being adjudicated.........and at a home show.

The tears with Cadets were more than a little bit.

Come on now. I was at the same show.

There was no wailing and gnashing of teeth. There was no rending of garments.

There was no mass panic among spectators. There were no gasps of horror from the paying customers.

There was no pointing of fingers at the offending party followed by cruel, thoughtless, derisive laughter from the audience.

There were no deaths, injuries, heart attacks, strokes or nervous breakdowns.

Not a major problem. :ph34r:

• Like 1

What a nightmare! Has this ever happened before this close to finals?

As recently as 2011, there were tears especially when they were doing the zipper at the end of the show up to the last week or so. No excuses, but Cadets need to stop the changes and clean now. I still think they needed to score and place better by Atlanta if they want to move up the ranks but this is an extremely competitive season so things are abit different.

I know the kids are good,but if the tear was really obvious in last nights show, and right after changing the drill it must be a bit confusing......If that were to happen to me I would start doubting myself and want to revert back to the way before the changes. If it's not changed back and players are confused and worry to much if it could it happen again, I might be so preoccupied about getting it right I might miss an important move and really mess up. The more confident they are the better chance of doing the show right.

does that make sense?

I thnk the Cadets staff will iron that issue out quite sufficiently in ensemble practice. Thorough repetition will fix what ails them. The only moment I can think it might even come into the performers heads (and I say "might" because pf the incredible discipline and professionalism for which Cadets is known) is if the players starting thinking about the trouble spot a measure or two before it comes - almost over-thinking it.

Ensemble tear = what we called "phasing" in my marching bands = parts of the ensemble getting out of sync with each other.

What a nightmare! Has this ever happened before this close to Finals?

It happened to SCV in the 1982 Finals, I think it was. They added "Bottle Dance" as a surprise closer for Finals only, and on the recording, you can hear a big problem in that piece. However, some people who were in the stands report that they didn't notice it live, and were stunned when they heard it on the album later. Possibly because the audience was so loud in showing their appreciation for the reprise of a classic SCV tune--although that probably contributed to the tear, as well.

On the other hand, several people on DCP, including myself, thought that Buccaneers had a small tear in their first place DCA Finals performance last year, but on the recording, I detect no trace of it--and the judges obviously didn't hear it, given that Bucs got a record score.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand

And he was on the field performing at the end of the show with the rest of those guys, when the "Crossmen All-Stars" played Russian Christmas Music with the Reilly Raiders alumni corps.

I watched him at that rehearsal as well as during the show. Eric Landis was showing him some stickings he kept missing, but George held his own quite nicely.

Also noted is Mark Thurston in the line.

So funny that virtually1 all of DCP had Cavies *maybe* making 11th and possibly falling out finals altogether after the first cinema event. Even normally conservative posters were predicting gloom and doom.

1 well except this poster ph34r.gif

Hmm. My sense was that even during the first few weeks of the season, there were several people who predicted that Cavaliers had more room for growth than Madison. I for one had picked Cavs to move up to seventh this year, and I said after Akron and Bowling Green that they were being underscored. (Even as I also said then that Madison clearly deserved their placement at Bowling Green, and that if Boston could clean their show, they had a chance of beating them both by season's end. We'll see.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand