Phantom of the Opera

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which corps would you like to see do Phantom of the Opera?

• Blue Devils
    • Blue Knights
    • Bluecoats
    • Blue Stars
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Carolina Crown
    • Cavies
    • Cadets
    • Madison Scouts
    • Phantom Regiment
    • SCV
    • Spirit of Atlanta
    • Troopers

Which corps would you like to see do a complete show of Phantom of the Opera? Not little snippets here and there in a show....like last years' SCV used just Music of the Night and Bluecoats Masquerade , the whole thing.

Edited by msumello

BD Phantom: giant angel statues that are pushed all around the field during the show; tries to explore the meanings of loneliness and love.

CC Phantom: Plays the overture 8 different times throughout the show; last visual is the phantom mask with a giant crown on its head.

Cavies Phantom: Tries to do a modern-day Phantom story, all guard members wear cybernetic-looking phantom masks.

PR Phantom: Doesn't even play Webber's musical, instead plays music from the 1880s because that's when Gaston Leroux was alive.

Troopers Phantom: relocates the story to America; closer is Music of the Night mixed with John Dunbar's theme.

Spirit Phantom: instead does PotO's sequel, Love Never Dies because of their obsession with the early 1900's.

Feel free to add more.

• Like 4

Never. Ever. Ever. Please no. Never. No.

It was good back then, but if there was ever a score that got over-saturated, this it. Between the two SCV versions and the 3000 band shows (one of which I was involved with), it just got beaten to death.

Les Mis was from a similar time period, but seems to have worn better.

When they had a segment from Phantom in this year's Tony awards, as a salute to its 25 yr anniversary, I about broke out in convulsions. LOL Make it stop!! :tongue:

• Like 1

BD Phantom: giant angel statues that are pushed all around the field during the show; tries to explore the meanings of loneliness and love.

CC Phantom: Plays the overture 8 different times throughout the show; last visual is the phantom mask with a giant crown on its head.

Cavies Phantom: Tries to do a modern-day Phantom story, all guard members wear cybernetic-looking phantom masks.

PR Phantom: Doesn't even play Webber's musical, instead plays music from the 1880s because that's when Gaston Leroux was alive.

Troopers Phantom: relocates the story to America; closer is Music of the Night mixed with John Dunbar's theme.

Spirit Phantom: instead does PotO's sequel, Love Never Dies because of their obsession with the early 1900's.

Feel free to add more.

Thank you. Made my day :thumbup:

Also, my money says SCV wins the poll... re: 1988/1989

I share others' preference that Phanton of the Opera not come back again, but if it did I would want to hear Crown's hornline deal with the score.

Broadway shows are tempting as possible themes for show design because there is often a compelling story to tell, along with accessible and recognizable music and melodies. But let's dig for some repertoire that has not yet been "beaten to death" as another poster had commented. How about "Jersey Surf presents Spamalot?" I know Urinetown may be too off-color, but it's the kind of show that Blue Knights might see as a challenge to develop. Can't you just see the Cavaliers offering Billy Elliot and conveying the story through their athletic and talented guard? Marry Hairspray's catchy jazz/pop songs with Spirit of Atlanta's entertaining drums and brass. Crown palys a fun version of "You Can't Stop the Beat" from that very show in some of their parade or encore stuff.

I lik eBroadway shows for drum corps show design material, but maybe Phantom has been enough.

I agree it's been done so many times that if Phantom of the Opera were people it'd be China. I just really like the music.

Like yellow jacket, I'd like to see some new musicals given full-show treatment. There was a run of such shows in the late-80s/early-90s mostly from SCV and Cadets, but it petered out pretty quickly. Crown did Music Man for their premiere season. For light-hearted fare, I think a corps that wanted to have fun with an older Broadway show could do Bye Bye Birdie or How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. A little more recently and seriously Chicago has some good tunes. South Pacific has plenty of material. Pushing the envelope a bit, Legally Blonde the Musical surprised me with a great set of songs. Avenue Q? Book of Mormon?