BD and Crown have done it well

If you think about it, many corps are expected to do certain types of shows ala Madison, Phantom, Troopers, Spirit, etc. But BD and Crown have themselves in a position where you can't label them, notice how BD has gotten away from "Jazz". I think that gives me much more artistic freedom to go places. Crown does a Rach Star show, then a Copeland show. Imagine Phantom doing that. Remember what happened to Spirit when they tried to break away from what they were known for in 1989 with Interstellar Suite? Even SCV is some what boxed in. Kind of like a character being known for a certain role and they can't get away from it.

Makes me wonder, take Spirit for example, everyone saying it's so good they went back to their roots...now they are boxed in to what they can do next year. I mean can anyone see SOA doing a Phantom of the Opera or Maliquena show? If I were a corps director I think I would do my best to NOT be labeled with a certain genre or style, that's why I think it's cool that BD has almost reinvented themselves and Crown...who knows what they come out with next.

If you think about it, many corps are expected to do certain types of shows ala Madison, Phantom, Troopers, Spirit, etc. But BD and Crown have themselves in a position where you can't label them, notice how BD has gotten away from "Jazz". I think that gives me much more artistic freedom to go places. Crown does a Rach Star show, then a Copeland show. Imagine Phantom doing that. Remember what happened to Spirit when they tried to break away from what they were known for in 1989 with Interstellar Suite? Even SCV is some what boxed in. Kind of like a character being known for a certain role and they can't get away from it.

Makes me wonder, take Spirit for example, everyone saying it's so good they went back to their roots...now they are boxed in to what they can do next year. I mean can anyone see SOA doing a Phantom of the Opera or Maliquena show? If I were a corps director I think I would do my best to NOT be labeled with a certain genre or style, that's why I think it's cool that BD has almost reinvented themselves and Crown...who knows what they come out with next.

Placement has more to do with branding, than anything to do with levels of change the Corps undergoes. No matter whether a Corps is known for " reinventing inself " ( whatever that means as a definition ) or " remaining true to its roots " ( whatever that means in a definition) it is largely irrelevent to placements. 80% of the Championships the last 35 years are won by the Cadevaliers. One of these trifectas ( The Cavaliers ) " reinvented itself "in show design principally because it lost a key staff member. Whether a Corps " reinvents itself " or " stays true to its roots " from year to year is choice that is made, but in either case it has little to no bearing at all in future placements... although " remaining true to its roots " does seem to have some anecdotal evidence that such a familiar show design tends to become more accessible and fan friendly with audiences, despite its non impact on placements and scores no matter what show design choices are made.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Your opiniion. Others will disagree. It's that variety that makes drum corps interesting.

• Like 2

Your opiniion. Others will disagree. It's that variety that makes drum corps interesting.

I'm just saying if SOA came out and did a Les Mis show, I think people would be like, what are they doing. If Troopers did a Jazz show I don't think it would be received well, not that they would. But, I'm just saying that BD and Crown really don't have a label associated with them and they can come out and do almost whatever they want and pull it off easier than others can.

If Troopers did a Jazz show I don't think it would be received well, .

The Troopers one year played " Aquarius " ( from the Stage and movie production of " Hair ". a musical homage to the 60's Hippies Generation. )

Do Hippies and western prairie style Troopers go naturally together in your view ?

The Troopers played " Acquarius ". As a central musical piece no less.. their concert piece. The audiences from coast to coast by and larged loved it. The Troopers made Finals.

Audiences can deal with the unexpected. Its all in the presentation.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

Audiences can deal with the unexpected. Its all in the presentation.

exactly

I'm just saying if SOA came out and did a Les Mis show, I think people would be like, what are they doing. If Troopers did a Jazz show I don't think it would be received well, not that they would. But, I'm just saying that BD and Crown really don't have a label associated with them and they can come out and do almost whatever they want and pull it off easier than others can.

I can think of a few labels :tongue:

But seriously, I agree BRASSO. Something very fresh can sometimes give a corps a boost, but otherwise, it's how ya do it, not all that much what "it" is. Plus, many corps do what you're crediting BD and Crown with, year in and year out (changing styles, that is).

When BD did jazz shows, the crowds in the stands went wild. They were a competitive powerhouse but also a crowd favorite. Their newer shows do not elicit the same response. As an example I am reminded of the response of "MY Spanish Heart " at finals in 94 as compared to last year's "Cabaret Voltaire." I agree that Crown is less defined by a style though they do have a distinct sound. Regarding Spirit returning to its roots, for me their roots would be the sound, not the show style, at least in my opinion. As to whether "returning to their roots" works for Spirit, we'll have to see how they make out in Indy. I enjoy their show, but Blue Stars and Crossmen seem to be getting too close for comfort and I think that Pacific Crest, Troopers, and Colts still have some energy and could make things interesting. If Spirit makes finals for a third year in a row, and they are still in my list though not as rock solid as in June, returning to their roots has worked, but if this is the case, this winter's focus will have to be not making finals, but moving up a bit to where BAC, Madison, Cavies and BK are battling things out.

When BD did jazz shows, the crowds in the stands went wild. They were a competitive powerhouse but also a crowd favorite. Their newer shows do not elicit the same response. As an example I am reminded of the response of "MY Spanish Heart " at finals in 94 as compared to last year's "Cabaret Voltaire." I agree that Crown is less defined by a style though they do have a distinct sound. Regarding Spirit returning to its roots, for me their roots would be the sound, not the show style, at least in my opinion. As to whether "returning to their roots" works for Spirit, we'll have to see how they make out in Indy. I enjoy their show, but Blue Stars and Crossmen seem to be getting too close for comfort and I think that Pacific Crest, Troopers, and Colts still have some energy and could make things interesting. If Spirit makes finals for a third year in a row, and they are still in my list though not as rock solid as in June, returning to their roots has worked, but if this is the case, this winter's focus will have to be not making finals, but moving up a bit to where BAC, Madison, Cavies and BK are battling things out.

Good point regarding the "sound" of a corps. Personally, I hope SOA doesn't box in to a genre and comes out with something different. I also agree their goal should be moving up into the next group. I do believe they are headed in the right direction. Definitely going to be interested two weeks.