Best brass soloist of 2013?

I gotta give my vote to the mello soloist for SCV. Solid sound and musicality. And the corps really supports him well, especially with the back field playing.

• Like 4

Whoever plays the jazz solo in the latter half of BD's show, during the "moaning" balls to the wall section. And the soloist that plays in the middle section where the lush flowing brass erupts out of nowhere. And the pair that leads the call and response that evokes the Rite at the beginning.

So much goodness in that show!

• Like 4

Haven't heard anyone, except Cadets' mello soloist (same one as last year) is fantastic and very consistent.

• Like 2

Yes, I heard the young man who plays the baritone solo in Blue Stars show just last night. He is very impressive. Right up there with the others.

I'd say Cadets mello soloist, SCV's mello soloist, BD's flugel solo, Blue Stars baritone, and a few of Spirit of Atlanta's solos are all wonderful and at the top. I really don't care to pick one because it's too tough and too close for each. All are great solos.

Don't you think the female soloist for Regiment gets some love. Beautiful tone......

• Like 6

Don't you think the female soloist for Regiment gets some love. Beautiful tone......

Agreed! The only soloist to really pull at my emotions this year. Not only is her tone beautiful, but her phrasing is fantastic. Plus she's been spot on every time I've heard her. Glad they adjusted the ending to feature her even more!

• Like 7

cadets mello, it's haunting in a good way.

honorable mention to SCV - bring him home soloist.

• Like 1