Future MiM/ToC Events

I went to TOC events in 2011 and 2012, and as standalone DCI shows, they're nice. Top groups in a small(ish) show. I can dig that.

Format-wise, though, I think they're a bit of a missed opportunity. Basically, it's just 7 DCI Murfreesboro's all over the country, with a massed encore thrown in for good measure and some I&E demonstrations. That's not bad, but it's also... well, conventional.

If/as the concept evolves, I would hope that changes to the basic structure of the "drum corps event" could be explored.

How about new forms of judging? MiM could use these to show us how *they* think corps should be judged. You can't tell me it's the exact same as what's at DCI events.

How about a different score criteria at each of the events (maybe musically weighted at one, visually at another, entertainment/excitement at another and a full "regular" panel in the final event), thus giving the points champion an "all around" title?

How about mini ensembles made up of groups from different corps? Even mini-marching units? Or an all drumline-marching group for a short piece? Or all brass, or a field full of guard for a song?

For outreach, how about having each corps use the show stadium for part of that day? Sell band tickets based on the opportunity to see every corps rehearse in front of them, all day, without having to move.

Even better, why not start next year's tryouts *now* at the TOC events? Or how about auditioning for multiple corps instructors at once - let HS and college students get their name and abilities in front of a group of corps at the same time?

If you have the top corps in the world at your disposal, I would have expected more of a "kitchen sink" approach. One thing I did agree with in the G7 proposal - this would have been a great way to build a "circus comes to town" aura around the events.

Maybe they should just make me the TOC commissioner... :tongue:

Mike

• Like 3

why does everyone assume the TOC events must reinvent the wheel?

Because the opportunity is there. The corps are there, the greatest creative minds in the activity are there and the most experienced performers are there.

Why *not* make these the biggest and best events marching music has to offer?

Mike

• Like 5

Because the opportunity is there. The corps are there, the greatest creative minds in the activity are there and the most experienced performers are there.

Mike

This is NOT necessarily true!! and purely your opinion!

• Like 4

Mike

That's why they're singing Barry Manilow as an encore?

I don't disagree with your overall premise here. If we've got to have G7 events, then I'd like to see them fulfill more of Gibbs' presentation and figure out how to reinvent the drum corps show.

• Like 1

That's why they're singing Barry Manilow as an encore?

Maybe a different piece could be performed at each show?

I for one am disappointed that I didn't get to hear a mass rendition of Muskrat Love.

Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft would also be a nice post-show number.

Edited by LincolnV

Never been to one. Never going to one.

• Like 4

why does everyone assume the TOC events must reinvent the wheel?

Didn't the organizers of the TOC claim that their show would be a spectacle above and beyond the average show, loaded with special features and events?

I've not been to any of them, but, if they have not lived up to the expectations presented, scrap the premise and get back with the regular program.

• Like 3