To go to the Baldwin show tonight or not

So...Tonight is the show at Baldwin H.S., near Pittsburgh. Here's the story: they jacked up tickets to $30. I can go to a Pirates game for less. Yes, I know what tickets cost at other venues but there's more to it. No parking at the stadium. Imagine that...an event at a stadium but don't even think of parking there. And no, Cadets are not there with their load of towers taking up many, many parking spaces for us who actually pay big bucks to gawk at those towers. People can park at nearby places and ride shuttle busses to and from the stadium. How convenient but it sure beats walking....and walking.

The line-up? The biggies are in ....where else, but Allentown. Friday night? Allentown. Saturday night? Allentown. Sunday night? Allentown. Sorry Baldwin, you get the leftovers (no disrespect intended, either). Again. Yes, I am well aware of ToC. They can stick ToC. Allentown, three consecutive nights? When was the last time BD or CC was at the Baldwin show? Years and more years. Yet, DCI seems to say something like "Baldwin, we know you have had your show for decades (decades, mind you) but so what? We could not care less about fans who spend their hard earned money and sacrifice their personal time when they could be doing something better ...some of whom drive long distances, adding even more expense. We're keeping the Super Seven in Allentown because it's all about the money and not the fans".

I don't know whether to go to the Baldwin show or not. It's the principle of the thing. I don't appreciate how DCI operates. It comes down to money and although they already have my money for tickets, it would cost me even more if I went. Anymore, I don't care as much. Shows keep getting watered down. Corps don't perform as long as they used to, drum major retreats only, a micro mini encore by someone as if to say "we want to eat, load up and get out of here as fast as we can". The biggest issue here at least as far as I am concerned is the corps line-up. Baldwin gets from number eight down. AGAIN. I am getting all upset again making me think it's better to stay home. DCI obviously could not care less but I do. They better hope they don't alienate too many more people. It's all about the money and smart people just might wise up and not spend it on DCI. Dang, I wait all year for one drum corps show and this is what we get? Afraid so.

Well... OK... only you are in a good position to decide if it's worth $30 to you. But this is a very strong lineup even without a G7 corps... good shows this year from these corps coming to Baldwin tonight:

Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA

Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

Blue Knights - Denver, CO

Crossmen - San Antonio, TX

Blue Stars - La Crosse, WI

Troopers - Casper, WY

Cascades - Seattle, WA

If G7 breaks away from DCI, are you not going to go to any more DCI shows? I still would. In fact I think I'd prefer them on principle alone. Some of these shows are much more entertaining than some of the ones higher up... just sayin'. And the skill levels are still quite high across the board here.

Your rant reminds me a bit of a preacher scolding the congregation on Easter Sunday for not coming the rest of the year. It doesn't exactly encourage the corps who did think enough of Baldwin to come into town.

But if venting your spleen about the ones that didn't bother haven't cleared your mood, you probably should stay home tonight. You won't have a good time.

Well... OK... only you are in a good position to decide if it's worth $30 to you. But this is a very strong lineup even without a G7 corps... good shows this year from these corps coming to Baldwin tonight:

Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA

Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

Blue Knights - Denver, CO

Crossmen - San Antonio, TX

Blue Stars - La Crosse, WI

Troopers - Casper, WY

Cascades - Seattle, WA

If G7 breaks away from DCI, are you not going to go to any more DCI shows? I still would. In fact I think I'd prefer them on principle alone. Some of these shows are much more entertaining than some of the ones higher up... just sayin'. And the skill levels are still quite high across the board here.

Your rant reminds me a bit of a preacher scolding the congregation on Easter Sunday for not coming the rest of the year. It doesn't exactly encourage the corps who did think enough of Baldwin to come into town.

But if venting your spleen about the ones that didn't bother haven't cleared your mood, you probably should stay home tonight. You won't have a good time.

I was expecting snide comments but anyway....It's not the price of tickets. It's more about DCI scheduling. I am well aware of the line-up and have been for months. I agree that it's a nice line-up even without the top seven. After having read a thread about Troopers, I would think that they would be worth it even if they were the only corps there. Sorry I ruffled your feathers and probably others but Baldwin has been getting screwed for about the last five years or so. Thanks for the lecture.

You'd be a complete fool to blow off this show. It's a GREAT lineup if excellent, entertaining corps. The Baldwin venue is really good too (I've judged a ton of band shows there).

Thank you...I have been to the Baldwin show since the first one so I am well aware of the good venue. Prior to Baldwin, this show was held at North Allegheny H.S., north of Pittsburgh. They have had this Baldwin show for years and years. I'm in the minority and think DCI should be spreading the wealth, so to speak. As in balancing out these shows a tad more. That wouldn't work though, since they went with ToC. All weekend in Allentown, though? Oh well, such is life. Looks like my decision now is which t-shirts (notice the plural) to buy. Now watch me get yelled at again by someone for not knowing which shirts to buy....sigh.

I don't know whether to go to the Baldwin show or not. It's the principle of the thing. I don't appreciate how DCI operates. It comes down to money and although they already have my money for tickets, it would cost me even more if I went. Anymore, I don't care as much.

Sounds like you've made up your mind already not to go.

If it were me, I'd go. The corps in that lineup.... I'd get my money's worth, for sure.