To go to the Baldwin show tonight or not

And if you go and enjoy yourself, I'll even forgive you for being a Steelers fan. :tongue:

On the other hand, if very many people feel this way about the increasing number of shows without the G7 in attendance, then my worst fears about the TOC are coming true.

That was the main point I was trying to make, sky. I may have not worded it as well as I should have. I'm just bitter because they don't bring in the G7 corps to Baldwin anymore. It has nothing to do with the other corps. Used to be Baldwin's lineup would include G7 corps.

After having read a thread about Troopers, I would think that they would be worth it even if they were the only corps there.

That is exactly what I was going to say here.

Sorry I ruffled your feathers and probably others but Baldwin has been getting screwed for about the last five years or so. Thanks for the lecture.

But that is not the show sponsor's fault. Do not punish them.

And if you go and enjoy yourself, I'll even forgive you for being a Steelers fan. :tongue:/>

Fran....you are one man I would love to have met. Someone I have read about for years and years....thanks for all you have done and still do for drum corps. Yes, I am a Steelers fan (even at $100/ticket...$30 for drum corps does not seem so bad, huh?). I live about ten minutes from their training camp. Besides that though, Pittsburgh still has a big drum corps fanbase. It's always nice to see drum corps nuts, to use an old term, get together. Thanks again, Fran.

That was the main point I was trying to make, sky. I may have not worded it as well as I should have. I'm just bitter because they don't bring in the G7 corps to Baldwin anymore. It has nothing to do with the other corps. Used to be Baldwin's lineup would include G7 corps.

I hope by "they" not bringing the G7 to Baldwin, your "they" refers to the G7.

They made it perfectly clear in their proposal that they have no interest in the smaller shows. They want the big stadiums and Fri/Sat/Sun. If the G7 had their way completely, there wouldn't be ANY OTHER DRUM CORPS SHOWS today.

there is only ONE place for you to place your displeasure with the situation, and it is not at DCI.

That is exactly what I was going to say here.

But that is not the show sponsor's fault. Do not punish them.

I pre-order tickets every year no matter what the line-up is. There is no way I would "punish" a show sponsor. Baldwin's High School band is the sponsor and no matter who the sponsor is, they deserve support. I order tickets as soon as I get the order form from Baldwin. They mail the ticket forms in May for an August show. I don't know whether or not I will be able to go (things come up) but I order them anyway. Prior to TOC, this show was one of the first on the schedule.

I hope by "they" not bringing the G7 to Baldwin, your "they" refers to the G7.

They made it perfectly clear in their proposal that they have no interest in the smaller shows. They want the big stadiums and Fri/Sat/Sun. If the G7 had their way completely, there wouldn't be ANY OTHER DRUM CORPS SHOWS today.

there is only ONE place for you to place your displeasure with the situation, and it is not at DCI.

So the tail wags the dog? What's wrong with this picture then? Sorry, but I thought DCI scheduled the shows. My mistake.

So the tail wags the dog? What's wrong with this picture then? Sorry, but I thought DCI scheduled the shows. My mistake.

This year, the G7 scheduled their shows and called them all "Music in Motion", and planned to run them via their new corporation, Music in Motion Performing Arts, Inc. DCI's announcement of the 2013 schedule mentions a "special series of shows run by" the G7 corps. Then came the January 2013 letter from "the '7'" to DCI's board, asking that the G7 be given control of DCI's board (by allowing only the prior year's top 12 to have votes, meaning they would have a majority) and threatening to leave DCI if they weren't given more control. Instead, the board "compromised" by resigning and electing a board equally split between the G7 and non-G7 corps and eliminating the outside voters. It wasn't long after this that the shows were renamed "Tour of Champions" and DCI took over running them again.

Anyway, to me, it looks like the G7 just said, "here's the shows we want to do for ourselves. Work the tour schedule around that." What's DCI to do in that case?

these 7 corps are potentially ripping DCI apart... it is VERY bad for all fans of drum corps! :thumbdown:/>

They are running their own tour inside of the DCI tour, using DCI as the backbone and for their credibility and even have people handing out info at DCI shows for these non-DCI events.

TOC will soon run under a separate 501c3 chartered in California and the name on the charter is David Gibbs (of BD), called Music in Motion.

Edited by soccerguy315

So...Tonight is the show at Baldwin H.S., near Pittsburgh. Here's the story: they jacked up tickets to $30. I can go to a Pirates game for less. Yes, I know what tickets cost at other venues but there's more to it. No parking at the stadium. Imagine that...an event at a stadium but don't even think of parking there. And no, Cadets are not there with their load of towers taking up many, many parking spaces for us who actually pay big bucks to gawk at those towers. People can park at nearby places and ride shuttle busses to and from the stadium. How convenient but it sure beats walking....and walking.

The line-up? The biggies are in ....where else, but Allentown. Friday night? Allentown. Saturday night? Allentown. Sunday night? Allentown. Sorry Baldwin, you get the leftovers (no disrespect intended, either). Again. Yes, I am well aware of ToC. They can stick ToC. Allentown, three consecutive nights? When was the last time BD or CC was at the Baldwin show? Years and more years. Yet, DCI seems to say something like "Baldwin, we know you have had your show for decades (decades, mind you) but so what? We could not care less about fans who spend their hard earned money and sacrifice their personal time when they could be doing something better ...some of whom drive long distances, adding even more expense. We're keeping the Super Seven in Allentown because it's all about the money and not the fans".

I don't know whether to go to the Baldwin show or not. It's the principle of the thing. I don't appreciate how DCI operates. It comes down to money and although they already have my money for tickets, it would cost me even more if I went. Anymore, I don't care as much. Shows keep getting watered down. Corps don't perform as long as they used to, drum major retreats only, a micro mini encore by someone as if to say "we want to eat, load up and get out of here as fast as we can". The biggest issue here at least as far as I am concerned is the corps line-up. Baldwin gets from number eight down. AGAIN. I am getting all upset again making me think it's better to stay home. DCI obviously could not care less but I do. They better hope they don't alienate too many more people. It's all about the money and smart people just might wise up and not spend it on DCI. Dang, I wait all year for one drum corps show and this is what we get? Afraid so.

Don't go. You're absolutely correct. For you.