The "other" East Coast Classic

rayfallon

When I was active in the activity it was almost always about competition - I missed the social aspect a lot - it's a natural - when you finish a show and you're listening to tapes (back then) and waiting for the critique, not a lot of time to socialize. I missed my chance.

Going to Lawrence last week was ostensibly to see my daughter play with Crossmen for the 4th time this season and to catch the BAC for the first. My daughter Tammy is on staff there this year as a trainer and I was interested in seeing the fruits of that labor, plus... it's BAC, right?

Always good to see Madison and Cadets, but those were my reasons for making the trip from Texas...

What gave me an equal amount of pleasure was seeing the Alumni corps, especially my old team the Boston Crusaders' Senior Corps (or Saders for short).

First time I ever saw that group was '92 in Boston University with the legendary Ed Denon directing. When he passed away in 1995 and the corps asked me to come out and do some rehearsals I had no idea it would lead to a connection I'd treasure for life.

So many good friends... so many memories. Catching up on each others' kids - who had gone through what surgery (hey, we're not as young as we used to be! Otherwise we might still be competing).

Great group of people, and still a great corps. Try to do the double tonguing the lead sops do in Mondo Cane. I dare you.

This post won't get much legs, but that's fine. We're not the kids out there making it happen any more, but we've had our day, and it's great to catch up here and there.

Glad we have Alumni, or in my opinion, Classic drum corps for the memories.

Eat 'em up Boston!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I remember when u were teaching Boston Seniors. Great job.

I remember when u were teaching Boston Seniors. Great job.

Thanks - as usually happens they did more for me than I did for them.

Great people who have become great friends.

Thanks for the mention and I'm glad you had some warm fuzzy moments. Also, thanks for your contributions to our corps as well. You produced a clean horn line by alumni standards. By the way, the seconds and third sops also play those tonguing parts in Mondo.

Thanks for the mention and I'm glad you had some warm fuzzy moments. Also, thanks for your contributions to our corps as well. You produced a clean horn line by alumni standards. By the way, the seconds and third sops also play those tonguing parts in Mondo.

Thanks for that correction - you're so right.

This is my personal belief - in the late '90s the BOSCRU Sr group I worked with was known for their lead soprano line - and they were that good - they deserved the recognition.

But the heart and soul of that corps, in my pretty well informed opinion, was the interior voices - the 2 and 3 sopranos, 2 mellos, 2 & 3 baris.

Out of those groups it was the 2 and 3 sopranos that were the strongest. I believe that Ed Denon wisely built the line that way and I was proud to try to continue that construction.

There is nothing (except maybe Dolly Parton) that can get by being strong on top and weak underneath. It's not the way construction works. A good line has strong leads. A great line is strong from top to bottom.

No soprano, or trumpet, or violin part is more important than any other. If you have a great lead line you'd better have great 2 and 3rds.

BOSCRU did, and undoubtedly still does.

I am happy to be corrected by your observation.

BTW I think that WE produced a clean, and excellent line not only by Alumni standards, but by All-Age Drum Corps standards. We always worked to be the best. Remember Harrisburg? The Farm show and the Forum? The Baltimore show? You guys played your balls off! It was a pleasure!

Edited by rayfallon