A few thoughts on DCI then, now, & future...

For those of you who remember the days before "amplification", has our worst nightmare come true? Is this simply progress, or did we open Pandora's box 10 years ago?

The latter. And not to be a "told ya so", but people here did try to provide some warning while these changes were in the proposal stage.

• Like 3

At a certain point, it almost seemed mandatory to design shows overly-doused in props, voice-overs, and ballet in fear that you would lose those precious "GE" points...and now all we have is a bunch of corps trying to out-GE one another.

EXACTLY and it is really sad. You and I were marching the same time frame, and I agree the changes made back then to horns were good. I never really agreed with amplification, I think it was Crown in 04 that started it, and when BD did it in 05 I almost quit...but how could I quit? I don't get all the little dancing and pirouettes and gestures that the members do every time they change positions, how can that really raise GE at all? It looks fruity. There are some props that I love, I am incredibly mixed this year on many of them, but in the end all I really need out there is the corps doing their thing, not a bunch of other stuff. Vanguards props this year are amazing, how they provide a backdrop and actually hide the entire corps for the one moment during "Let Him Live", and I can see BD's point in using the poles to create different stages on the field that represent different periods of sacrifice, commune, and religion, although I think it is too much to transport.

The only way it can change is if DCI judging changes, or specifies that we don't need all the "fluff" to do well in the activity. I really can't tell the difference between DCI and BOA anymore!

• Like 4

The latter. And not to be a "told ya so", but people here did try to provide some warning while these changes were in the proposal stage.

:ph34r:/>

...the changes made back then to horns were good.

I've been a fan since 1983. While the new horns (standard brass instruments) sound more controlled and maybe more in tune, there was a gutsier louder quality about them. In the right hands, they were in tune and had an edgier sound. I'm still a fan, but I differentiate the pre-2000 "G" era from 2000 and beyond (though most corps other than BD and Cadets took a few years before switching over).

I don't get all the little dancing and pirouettes and gestures that the members do every time they change positions

I don't either. Before the "body movement" trend started, it was great to watch a snareline just stand and play, and it was not boring! You could actually read the uniformity of stick heights. I think that is pretty much lost, with all the rocking back and forth and lunging around. Even something as simple as a roll was incredible to watch and hear.

• Like 6

I've been a fan since 1983. While the new horns (standard brass instruments) sound more controlled and maybe more in tune, there was a gutsier louder quality about them. In the right hands, they were in tune and had an edgier sound. I'm still a fan, but I differentiate the pre-2000 "G" era from 2000 and beyond (though most corps other than BD and Cadets took a few years before switching over).

I don't either. Before the "body movement" trend started, it was great to watch a snareline just stand and play, and it was not boring! You could actually read the uniformity of stick heights. I think that is pretty much lost, with all the rocking back and forth and lunging around. Even something as simple as a roll was incredible to watch and hear.

Great post & right on the money.

:ph34r:/>/>

You and me both, brother.

Garry in Vegas

s...and now all we have is a bunch of corps trying to out-GE one another.

I'll say what we're all thinking.

It's Blue Devils fault.

peek.gif

• Like 4

Sometimes old school is boring. *gasp*

Sometimes "new-age" is over done *gasp*

And the only top corps that has used props every year for the past 5 years is BD. Every other corps (that i can remember) has had atleast 2 or more years without any props in that period and 1 corps won 2 years ago without any props. **Are we counting guard equipment as props?

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

Sometimes old school is boring. *gasp*

Sometimes "new-age" is over done *gasp*

And the only top corps that has used props every year for the past 5 years is BD. Every other corps (that i can remember) has had atleast 2 or more years without any props in that period and 1 corps won 2 years ago without any props. **Are we counting guard equipment as props?

....as long as we all know that BD has nothing to do with any of the design trends....

</sarcasm>

• Like 1