A few thoughts on DCI then, now, & future...

An extended bi-product of the problem with the direction DCI shows are moving is its influence on BOA and high school bands. BOA and other high school contests are now attended only by parents of the participants and die-hard band geeks. Most BOA style shows performed to the general public at high schools games are absolutely lost on the general public, receiving either polite "home team" clap support or rolls of eyes from the football parents.

This creates a concerning level of apathy for music education that the non-band parents see as expendable budgets in many school districts. The more budget cuts hit the band the more money the band boosters must raise to keep programs running. Without engaging the general public through their public performances how else can these programs generate interest and funds?

Speaking of apathy, I see many comments on this thread showing a total lack of concern about the defecting fans, assuming that new, "more sophisticated" fans will take their place. And it appears that DCI has a similar lack of concern, otherwise they would listen to these comments and take action to correct. Fan churn appears to be far outpacing new fans coming into the activity based on my observations of attendance. In most businesses replacing customers has substantially more costs than keeping current customers. DCI needs to address this growing loss of core fans or as stated earlier in this thread these "educational focused" performing arts groups will be performing before a small panel of judges with a few parents sitting in the audience.

Some want to support the world of music as a communication language by securing financial support from their audience and they make sure to communicate music which will generate excitement in the audience; intellectual progression may be a part, but it is buried deep in the middle of the performance surrounded by toe-tappin' whistle creatin' explosive clap eliciting sounds. Others want to support the progression and evolution of the art form through intellectual experimentation; they may place an entertaining chart deep within the presentation to placate the non-intellect, but since they cannot garner enough paying audience to support their goals they are left to beg for grants from intellectual donors or seek grants from forced governmental taxation. The problem most movers and shakers within DCI, and BOA for that matter, currently have is that they want judging to greatly reward the intellectual experimentation and progression of the art form (I suppose in the name of education) yet they also want to pack the house with an energetic paying audience. However, it is impossible to have it both ways simultaneously. So these wise leaders are either wishful thinkers who are rather ignorant, or they are flat egotistically obtuse.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

The problem with the PGA's show is they only receive "golf claps"

:smile:

sorry Stu, couldn't resist. All in fun.

Doh!!!! :doh:

note: however the golf claps in the PGA are to show the players they enjoy the performance while not trying to break the player's concentration, and those claps elicit billions in revenue; whereas the golf claps in DCI are done out of politeness to the youth and do not generate much revenue.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Doh!!!! :doh:/>

note: however the golf claps in the PGA are to show the players they enjoy the performance while not trying to break the player's concentration, and those claps elicit billions in revenue; whereas the golf claps in DCI are done out of politeness to the youth and do not generate much revenue.

I don't know about others, but I catch some golf on the tube once in a while - primarily to see amazing shots...the ones that make the crowd roar. There is a lot about golf that seems tranquil, (sp?) and other times much drama and excitement.

To me this is not really about like vs. dislike. It is about current DCI sense of purpose (or conflict thereof). If DCI's 'primary' focus is having each corps prove to the judges how much their 'students' know about musical pedagogy and education, and that is what is heavily rewarded by the judges, then fine; if DCI's 'primary' focus is on is having each corps prove to the judges how much their performers progress the artistic direction and push the envelope of genre experimentation, and that is what is heavily rewarded by the judges, then fine. Just do not call it Marching Music's Major League or Summer Music Games and pretend that it is anywhere close to being a sports-like competitive 'Entertainment' organization geared toward enticing the fans to pay big bucks to see/listen. This would be akin to the NCAA Final Four Basketball Tournament giving a large number of points to the team on the court which did the greatest research on the newest understanding of Sports Psychology and then read their dissertation in front of the fans during the game while expecting the fans to pay big bucks to watch/listen. That is the current philosophical conflict DCI has created for itself. DCI needs to either start focusing on heavily rewarding the aspects which entertain, not educate, 'the fans', or DCI needs to accept the fact that if the judging focus is on heavily rewarding musical pedagogy progressing the artistic form with esoteric intellectualism it will never be financially or audience supported like the NCAA Div I Basketball Tournament or the NCAA Football Bowl Games crowning the NCAA Football Champion.

Very well stated!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"I don't get all the little dancing and pirouettes and gestures that the members do every time they change positions, how can that really raise GE at all? It looks fruity."

As one of those "fruits" you mention in your post, I really resent your remark. The LGBT community is EVERYWHERE on the drum corps field, from the design team, to management, to the performers themselves.

Just a thought from one of the "fruits."

Don't get so defensive for goodness sake. If you resent anything being said, then you're taking yourself too seriously. Some will like it, some won't. I liked the body movement from Cavies 2002 and other shows like CC 2006, but I admit, it gets a little strange for me too at times. "Fruity" is not all that far off. Your post sounds like your whole fragile existence just came crashing down because of one little opinion. We truly have entered the culture of victimhood.

If you weren't using the term "fruity" to mean effeminate or less-than-masculine, I'll eat my hat.

I think he probably meant fruity the same way I did: nutty, odd, strange, bizarre, weird. If that's the case, and we can both vouch for our meaning, will you eat TWO hats. Will you post a video on youtube of you eating hats?

I'm out. For years I traveled all over the country (Regionals, Allentown, all Texas Shows, finals all over the country including LOS) to watch shows and this year I reluctantly went to one of our local shows in Dallas. I left angry. It was the last straw. Every year the shows become more and more ridiculous. I agree with the OP. The ballet moves by the corps are just painful to watch. I cannot even imagine what the creative folks are thinking with some of the very strange voiceovers and electronic sound effects.

At one time I coordinated a group of up to 15 people to attend our local show in Dallas. I introduced so many new fans to the activity but over the years those new fans have fallen by the way side. Especially in the last 4-5 years.

I've totally pulled by support from the activity. I log on here and lurk from time to time but I am one of those that has had enough and I'm doing my part by no longer supporting the activity financially.

I understand how this guy feels. I have been a fan since I saw a McCormick's how to march video in 1975. I saw my first contest in Atlanta in 1976. I wrote for Drum Corps World in the 80's to early 90's. I loved D.C.I. I was the type of fan that would rather see the DCI Championships over the Superbowl. However the electronics has been a bad move. With the voice over/tapes-discs/keyboards/MIDI's they are removing the human element. The corps are less entertaining and I have thought about giving up on following the activity. Why play loud just crank the amp? I know that woodwinds have been considered and strings wouldn't be far behind. Part of the beauty of drum corps was what could be done with the limitations. Without these limitations the beauty is disappearing and the appeal is lost in the process. If you want marching units with no limitations Bands of America offers just that. It may make a better audio CD but it sucks as entertainment. Did any of you see UK's "The Company" last year? I would rather sit though a 24 hour marathon of synchronized swimming then sit thought that Goldilocks show. It appears we are headed in that direction.

I have found refuge in the DCA corps who have not gone down this dark path. They aren't afraid to play loud, the human element remains-it is still in your face drum corps the way drum corps should be.

Scott Smith

Edited by doctortelco
  • Like 2

I understand how this guy feels. I have been a fan since I saw a McCormick's how to march video in 1975. I saw my first contest in Atlanta in 1976. I wrote for Drum Corps World in the 80's to early 90's. I loved D.C.I. I was the type of fan that would rather see the DCI Championships over the Superbowl. However the electronics has been a bad move. With the voice over/tapes-discs/keyboards/MIDI's they are removing the human element. The corps are less entertaining and I have thought about giving up on following the activity. Why play loud just crank the amp? I know that woodwinds have been considered and strings wouldn't be far behind. Part of the beauty of drum corps was what could be done with the limitations. Without these limitations the beauty is disappearing and the appeal is lost in the process. If you want marching units with no limitations Bands of America offers just that. It may make a better audio CD but it sucks as entertainment. Did any of you see UK's "The Company" last year? I would rather sit though a 24 hour marathon of synchronized swimming then sit thought that Goldilocks show. It appears we are headed in that direction.

I have found refuge in the DCA corps who have not gone down this dark path. They aren't afraid to play loud, the human element remains-it is still in your face drum corps the way drum corps should be.

Scott Smith

do you know electronics/amps have been aproved for DCA?

Edited by GUARDLING

just amps

just a matter of time...10 years behind but DCA usiually always catches up.....i think in 2013 DCA comes around faster than it did BITD..i do know 2 of the top 5 or 6 corps looking already in that direction.,No matter what is said openly.Its a natural progression wheather some of us like it or not.....Im sure amps etc etc will be a hot mess for a while as in DCI then things level out, although it takes a while, reluctant or not, as in most things corps will move forward...it may be slow but it will.

Edited by GUARDLING