Buffalo Wing Championships

So I'm fairly certain the TOC hired their own team to do the video and audio tonight. You know, to show DCI how it's done. To show them all the neat things you can do with a live broadcast. Just my theory, but...sheesh.

Can anyone confirm or deny what jwillis, BRASSO, garfield, and JonW have guessed: that the G7 are ultimately at fault for this mess?

The webcast may have been pure crap, but it sure was fun reading all the comments on here tonight.

Yeah, I haven't enjoyed any DCP thread more this year--and it sure makes me glad I chose to go to the Centerville show.

Speaking of which, it might be noted that there were sound issues at both Pittsburgh and Centerville, specifically with the P.A. microphones, which when not cutting out (almost all the time) were left on for parts of the performance so that the show was feeding from the corps speakers into the stadium speakers.

You're posting in a thread involving the worst broadcast of all time, and your "one detail falling through the cracks" is about who won the TOC?

Well, it is a show thread. There are a variety of sub-topics - not all are related to the bad broadcast. I didn't purchase FN. I was picking up on someone else's comment about the lack of winner's announcement. No biggie.

Are you hungry? You're not yourself. Have a Snickers.

• Like 1

Can anyone confirm or deny what jwillis, BRASSO, garfield, and JonW have guessed: that the G7 are ultimately at fault for this mess?

No they were not at all. Ralph Wilson Stadium has for the last few years required that their personal stadium crew runs the audio and video for the show. Some union rule. So they took their crew, completely unfamiliar with filming drum corps, and put them out there to film it. Hence the awful video and sounds.

There hasn't been a DCI "broadcast" (LIVE or VOD) from that venue in years past ...

I went back as far as 2008 and there weren't any shows broadcast between Allentown and Finals week in all those years ... except for Michigan City 09.

One would think that DCI would have been "leary" at best in allowing the "house crew" to take it on.

Edited by ashevillemurphy

There hasn't been a DCI "broadcast" (LIVE or VOD) from that venue in years past ...

I went back as far as 2008 and there weren't any shows broadcast between Allentown and Finals week.

One would think that DCI would have been "leary" at best in allowing the "house crew" to do it.

They at least handled the Jumbotron shots and things like that. I remember a local news crew being the ones who announced it when I marched there. Sucked, because they didn't know anything, even called us bands a few times.

No they were not at all. Ralph Wilson Stadium has for the last few years required that their personal stadium crew runs the audio and video for the show. Some union rule. So they took their crew, completely unfamiliar with filming drum corps, and put them out there to film it. Hence the awful video and sounds.

There are other stadiums, including Denver, with similar rules. That's why we've had some sketchy multicams from DATR in past years.

The wiser move here would have been to skip the multicam and just use the audio from the high cam. That's what I think they did in Denver this year.

There are other stadiums, including Denver, with similar rules. That's why we've had some sketchy multicams from DATR in past years.

The wiser move here would have been to skip the multicam and just use the audio from the high cam. That's what I think they did in Denver this year.

Right for sure. I think because this was the first time they've done the webcast from Buffalo, that they didn't get all of the problems ironed out first. If they do this again, I'm sure it will improve.

One would think that DCI would have been "leary" at best in allowing the "house crew" to take it on.

I assume the A/V folks, had they been asked, would have insisted this was a terrible idea, but I'm also guessing that the G7 wanted their sub-Championship show given its proper respect. And I guess they got their wish...

Hard to believe that NOBODY is holding the Buff production crew responsible for this travesty! I arrived at 6 and watched the line to enter grow until, at 7PM-when the gates opened- it was all the way to the field house! No problem, surely they will open a sufficient number of gates to get everyone seated - NOT! the only way in was via the 3 entrances at Gate 2. As Cadets stepped off the line was still almost to the field house and the bottleneck showed no signs of relief. Not being physically able to stand for long periods, I relied on my normal tactic of waiting for the lines to dissipate. After all we did have $40 reserved seats so why should there be a problem? We ultimately settled into our seats in time for SCV, having missed what I understand were great performances by Cadets and PR.

Can someone explain why this mis-management occurred? DCI should be offering a 25 - 30% rebate at the very least to say nothing of the aggravation that hundreds of fans must have felt! Anger was the prevailing emotion last night, has everyone developed amnesia?!