Which show moves you emotionally?

For me, music is an emotional expression. It's the international language, meaning whatever language you speak when you hear a piece of music you hear the same thing, you don't need an interpretor...and IMHO a show that has the most impact on me is that which moves me, because the performers have effectively communicated that emotion into their performance. I also think that in today's world we don't credit that as much as we should. Music is simply notes on a page, the performers have to invest themselves in their performance, feel it and express it for it to be effective...to me, that has always been the essence of Drum Corps, and why I love it.

In my book this year, Carolina Crown does the best job of any corps of expressing power, tenderness and wonder in their show, and it moves me, I can relate to it, I feel it. Not discounting Blue Devils and their technical proficiency but their show does nothing for me except make me appreciate the difficulty of what they are doing. I get it, it's hard. But to me, that's not what music is intended for. It is to communicate feelings so you feel it with them, you are in suspended disbelief while you take the journey with them. Trooper/s show does that...I think we've gotten away from this very simple, yet very difficult mission...how can we move an audience> how can we pull them in and take them on a journey with us? I think SCV's show does that well too.

We over complicate things and focus on areas that the common fan will not appreciate. I'm not saying dumb it down at all, bc we all have a high sense of musical appreciation, what I am saying is pull a page out of CC's play book and design a show that accomplishes the objective of musicality...move me!

Whatever the results are on Saturday, THANK YOU Carolina Crown, Troopers and Santa Clara Vanguard, you are the essence of musical expression.

The whole judging thing has gotten away from the essence of why we are musicians...if I wanted zero emotion and technical greatness, I would have been a math major or software programmer. As a musician, what piece would you rather play...that's what I'm talking about.

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 7

SCV, Crown, and Crossmen for me this year. All really amazing shows this year

• Like 1

You made this thread for me, didn't you?

tongue.gif/>

Every so often a show grabs me and doesn't let go.

Carolina Crown '13.

It's how I feel...our responsibility as musicians is to create an emotion, and unless you pour yourself into it, all you get is technically very very good, but no expression. What is Blue Devils message? I have zero emotional investment in it..but yeah, what they do and how they do it is freaking great. Their show is like watching a documentary on space exploration...yeah pretty cool stuff. CC's show is about what's in your soul> that is why God created music...to move us, to stir us.

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 2

Last year the show that moved me was Bluecoats' Unmasked.

This year Crown's show definitely does it for me. Parts of Phantom's show (especially the opener) move me as well.