Which show moves you emotionally?

Madison Scouts and Oregon Crusaders

Madison - I always have a soft spot for the military, and this show drives it home

Oregon Crusaders - I'm sure it's mostly from being an alumni and it's their first year in World, but the Funeral procession in the ballad, along with the finally letting go of the death of a loved one at the end really grabs me.

• Like 1

Where to start? Crown, SCV, Boston, Madison, Oregon Crusaders. There's a lot of really moving emotional shows this year and I'm all for it. They're my favorite shows. I could list all the reasons, but in the end it comes down to the emotions they convey. Love in Crown. The same in SCV in Bring Him Home. Courage and triumph in Boston. Sadness and brotherhood in Madison. Death and all the emotions that entails for Oregon. It's stunning how well each of these corps get across what they want.

Edited by ShainaBassoon
  • Like 2

I suppose we all respond based on our frame of reference.....as a result, there's one show that moves me this year.............Madison Scouts!

• Like 1

Isn't music about moving you...if so, and being DCI is music's major league, shouldn't the judging encompass the purpose of being of a musician, the ultimate performer. I'm just asking, what the purpose of music is and why we are drawn to it...at the core, is it technical or is it emotional movement....can we combine both and reward that in in the judging sheet? Is that too tall an order to ask? I'm just curious why we can't have both, or do we have both and I'm just missing it?

Edited by JKT90

Isn't music about moving you...if so, and being DCI is music's major league, shouldn't the judging encompass the purpose of being of a musician, the ultimate performer. I'm just asking, what the purpose of music is and why we are drawn to it...at the core, is it technical or is it emotional movement....can we combine both and reward that in in the judging sheet? Is that too tall an order to ask? I'm just curious why we can't have both, or do we have both and I'm just missing it?

You always have both in music. I don't think it can ever fully show in judging though. Judging, in most captions, comes down to technical proficiency. The emotion can be there, but if it isn't executed well, the score will suffer. I think the emotion can be judged a little more in GE captions, but even then it's difficult. A show can convey emotion and do exactly what it wants to, while being dirty. And while you can applaud the effect, in GE, it cannot show up in say a Visual Proficiency caption. The show was dirty, even though in the way it wanted to, it succeeded. We may want a show to score higher or lower depending on how it hits us emotionally and that varies from person to person and how they balance technical and emotional within music. I hope Crown will win this year because of the emotional involvement I have with that show. But even if they don't, the show doesn't mean any less to me and it doesn't mean they didn't end up succeeding with the show.

So to answer your question, we do have a little of both at the moment and that's as far as it will ever go in my opinion. Everyone's view of music differs, putting them in different areas between the range of technical and emotional, and since that is true, there's no real way to put it into judging. That's my opinion at least.

Focusing only on 2013 for this answer:

Troopers

Madison

SCV

Crown

Boston

And there are likely more that I either haven't seen, or I need to see several more times before that little switch flips and I get all verklempt. I anticipate that Oregon Crusaders might be added to my list once I see them. I loved their show last year!