Santa Clara's Flag Code Disrespect

Christ, this is an exercise in the inane and arcane.

Yes, OP, France and the US will be going to war over a painted, stylized interpretation of a French flag. Exactly.

To those denigrating this as a classless gesture, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

You have your opinion, I have mine. As someone who has actually voted at the original five DCI rule congresses and well knows the bases of our rules and their changes, I believe the OP has a point worth hearing.

• Like 6

The French guys are going to be offended - declare war on SCV - and surrender. Still a non-issue.

• Like 7

Do they use a real French flag in the stage musical?

The original Broadway production did not use the actual flag but one very close to it. The Schubert theater management was concerned that their French clientele would feel disrespected. The man whose company built the multi-leveled cantilevered stage for that production is a personal friend of mine and he shared the story of the discussions.

Seriously...NO REALLY SERIOULY? There is all this GREAT stuff going on and your take away from 2013 drum corps is “SCV is disrespecting the F&*^ing French Flag”.

Note to drilltech1............... Try a Waffle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't going to post here for a while but this one caught me....

So what would be your response to an non-American talking about the F&*^ing American Flag...

Seriously after reading your sig, you're not representing SCV well at all....

Guess no one told you to get respect, show respect....

Yeah, I'm biased... work for the Military and know what a countrys' flag means to some.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 4

[/size]

No one seems to be up in arms when Bluecoats start spinning and tossing American flags in their show.

But neither the Bluecoats nor the Troopers use actual American flags but flags which have been amended to seem to be American flags. Look more closely. And yes, there were complaints. Check the Troopers thread about the comments judges made on the official DCI contest tapes in the early season.

• Like 2

[/size]

No one seems to be up in arms when Bluecoats start spinning and tossing American flags in their show.

Regulation US flags or "stylized"?

Man remember the griping about what is "stylized" during the BiCentennial shows....

Edit: Normy answered as I was typing...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

However, the question remains concerning Santa Clara's use of the French national tricolors as a flash flag which is tossed and spun during Les Mis. Consider the chagrin of the administration of the only competitive drum corps in France, from Brittany I think, who are here this week to view DCI East and DCI championships with the hope of bringing their young corps one day to Open Class championships or DCA's All-age.

Or maybe they will go back to France and tell their young corps of the most outstanding presentation of Les Miserables they have ever witnessed as presented by a group of young people in America called the Santa Clara Vanguard.

• Like 2