Santa Clara's Flag Code Disrespect

Flags are useless symbols of tyranny, as the story of Les Mis depicts.

#### "congressional" policy. Do whatever you want with flags. It takes a lot of brainwashing/propaganda to worry about flags.

Edited by g0at
  • Like 2

If the OP is correct, something should be done. Possibly DCI or the peeps at Vanguard can correct this before finals or explain what is going on. We all know that US citizens would be UP IN ARMS if a video popped up on YouTube with a youth group spinning and tossing American flags around. Period.

I'm wondering how we got this far in the season without someone bringing this up?

People on YouTube get up in arms about EVERYTHING! I certainly would not base DCI policy based on the possibility that people on YouTube would flip out.

Also, I would say the same exact thing to people who might say something similar to a corps' use of the US flag: it's a non-issue. It really is not worth getting upset about. Are there current DCI rules about presentation of any national flag? Do we know for 100% fact that SCV is using a legit French flag in their show, or is it one that's just "very very similar?" Unless they are breaking a DCI rule, I don't think it's that big of a deal

So what would be your response to an non-American talking about the F&*^ing American Flag...

Honestly? I probably wouldn't respond. It really wouldn't bother me. I don't need everyone on earth to hold the same exact ideals as myself, and if people don't think a piece of cloth is worthy of respect, I have no problems.

I find it interesting that there are really active threads for the Scouts, Crown, and other threads talking about specific corps shows, yet Vanguard's most active thread is about whether or not flags are offensive.

Have to believe someone else brought this up (don't have time to read through every response..but glanced through a lot of them) but 1989 Cadets of Bergen County used the Tricolor in their Les Miz production. I remember there was a pretty bold yellow stripe running along the edge of the flag out of respect for the official French flag I assume. That yellow stripe made if fairly obvious it was not the official French flag, but it was still visually very much the French flag for the purpose of the show, if that makes sense.

Edited by ordsw24

I have a vintage WWII French carbine rifle for sale. Never fired and only dropped once. Write me at canttakeajoke@getalife.com.

• Like 1

So FWIW, I'm actually French, and not the least bit offended by it.

I took some family and friends visiting from Marseille to the Allentown show so they could see it. I think it's safe to say we all enjoyed SCV's performance, and didn't find their use of the faux Tricolore disrepectful.

• Like 2

I think this needs to stop now or the following will happen....

1. The French will will call the US grande merdes then go on strike.

2. The U.S. will retaliate by renaming French Fries to Freedom Fries.

Ha actually, that's just complete and utter stupidity and would never happen............................................

• Like 1

Only in America.

Come on guys put things in context.The flag is used to tell a story. It is not belittled or desecrated during the course of the show.

It cannot be looked upon in the same light as someone burning a flag.

Why should SCV be docked points, surely if the matter was of significance the French Ambassador would be lobbying Washington to have it removed.

Focus for once on what a great season it has been (regardless of the outcome) and remember Drum Corps should be entertaining and fun. If you want to politicise everything, go work in the UN or become a policy maker in Brussels!