In 1 sentence - what 1 thing would you change about DCI?

How does BD get put in first for G.E. Visual when they march 1/3 of the show and the rest they run around in mobs - WTF is that.

GE Visual is more about how the visual conveys an overall design of the show. Since Rite of Spring is about Pagan sacrifice of a virgin by forcing her to dance herself to death, it makes sense that the drill would be sporadic. Also, they march more than you give them credit for. When marching in circles around trees (poles), weaving through them, or dancing with them, it is meant to show Pagan rituals taking place. That is why they score so high. Also, they are clean enough that I would eat a 5 course meal off of that corps.

• Like 1

Again, just because something is in the original source material, it doesn't make it particularly good, let alone good in a drum corps context.

True, but it at least motivates it somewhat, and isn’t written by amateurs. Is there really anything more cringeworthy than staff-written narration?

"If it adapts itself to what the majority of our society wants, art will be a meaningless recreation." - Albert Camus

We have to be very careful how we approach this perceived problem. Variety is the spice of life. You might not like all the flavors available to you, but for every one you dislike, someone else might love it.

Agreed, but my comment was give the audience a voice, not give them control.

Synths, and artificial instrumentation/samples should go away.

That said, I don't mind things amped up front. Some corps shows would do well with a bass guitar in front ensemble....not to double the contras, but as it's own part, and not used constantly....like the miced drum sets are utilized today.

PS: Imagine of samples were available for use in 1991. The classic, and creative helicopter, and battle sequences from SCV would have been pretty boring. Stormworks Crown 95, I think? Hearing the audience gasp and talk about the way they created those sound effects with instruments/buildingmaterials/auto parts is much more satisfying than the sound effects loaded into an SPD-S.

Edited by Cadets1996

Drumline: "Posturing" to audience illegal; if both ends of any snare or tenor drumstick exceed shoulder height during a musical phrase a 1.0 penalty will be assessed PER STICK.

Intended to target inane MONKEY DRUMMING.

Sadly, I have to say that - in my eyes - things have gotten so far afield from the version of drumcorps that I love, that I wouldn't change anything at all. Too much would have to be altered to return it to a state that would thrill me again, such that it simply couldn't be done. And changing just one thing wouldn't make much of a dent... more likely it would just anger the most ardent current followers and participants.

Nothing lasts forever. The corps have chosen their direction and they have a new set of adherents with a new set of tastes. That's the way of the world... art and musical forms come and go, eventually drifting away either into obscurity or evolving away into something else. I believe that is what we are observing now.

There are no sheets or written commentary anymore. It's just a tape (digital recording) and a number. And, of course, whatever discourse follows in the post-show critique (when they have 'em).

Just a question OT.....what do the corps get after the show in place of a tape? Do they provide each judge with a digital recorder with their name on it.....there is no easy way I know of to make it into a CD.

I thought about that earlier this week. When I taught it was the marvelous cassette tape (LOL).